Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should there be an age limit on the Size of car you can drive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree what test do you need to take to be competent in reading speed signs? Do you really need to take a regular test to understand that you have to slow down when negotiating a bend? Will passing a driving test allow you to better comprehend the don't drink and drive campaign?

Are their stats to show that the CPC makes truck drivers more competent / law abiding? For example has it reduced the number of trucks overtaking on a motorway? (A law I don't agree with by the way but again another eg of a law introduced to grant fanfare by the road safety boffins but simply ignored by most including the Gardai).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure boris becker's first ever car was a porsche 959, i think bought at age 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

you pass a test and drive like shite after, people drive badly as a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Couldn’t happen here, right?

And there are still unrestricted speed limits on parts of the German autobahn network. Imagine the knicker twisting that would go on here if it was suggested we should do the same on parts of the Irish motorway network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭jmreire

And another little money earner for the Govt...as if Motorists in this Country are not paying enough for the "privilege" of running a car ??

You would not like living in rural Ireland so if you want to keep your car damage free......all the cars in my Family are damaged, mainly from trying to avoid large agricultural vehicles on the local roads and driving too close to the ditches, multiple scrapes and scratches on the paint work,,,and they can be bloody deep scratches too,,, especially after the hedges have been clipped, and the cut branches are sharp and strong. But that does not make any of us bad drivers, if you want to go by your line of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

This is a perfect post for a city person to read.

I spent a few years in Russia, and a colleague was telling me how he got his first driving licence as follows:- He went to the local police station and he was taken to a room to do the theory part, There was about 4 others doing the test that particular day. So the Policeman showed the slides, and the diagrams, and explained everything, Then he went around the classroom with a bag, and each student put an envelope in it, except my colleague. So the Policeman told him, you remain here, and rest come with me. They were gone for about 20 minutes, and the policeman returned, and issued licenses to all 4 of the others. Then beckoned to my friend, Now we do the test he said. And do the test is what he did, and duly passed, Then he met with one of the other license applicants and asked what happened during his test, and he told him that the Policeman put all 4 into the police car, drove them around for the twenty minutes, and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

You shared a flat with Putin also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Additional theory tests ? Pass them it does nothing more then demonstrate that you have a knowledge of the rules.

It doesn’t mean you will be of the want to be routinely obeying them. So pointless..

Gardai are responsible for enforcing the road traffic act and the courts are responsible for dishing out punishment…

people don’t break the rules because of a lack of understanding…..it’s a lack or judgement or lack of giving a shït.

Yes, but it goes to show how wrong you could be if you were basing your opinion of a drivers competency and ability to drive on the amount of scrapes and scratches on the car he / she was driving.

Imagine the death and injury rate that would result from doing the same on parts of the Irish motorway network.

Have you heard about the climate crisis at all?

One of these days I must drive to Germany just to experience legally driving at north of 200kph and also who knows have a run around the Nurburgring. Maybe if I spend €50k plus buying an EV to do this I won't have the environment on my conscience. Alternatively I could fly to Germany and hire a sports car to achieve same result. Decisions, decisions. In reality the climate crisis is being used the screw the ordinary person. If you have money it means sod all to you, other than you can enjoy the fact that there are less peasants taking away from your continued enjoyment of the good things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I did a competition at the Red Bull Ring once. Shared a car ride from the airport with a german competitor that was reeling off fact after fact about the car we would be driving, how it could do x at this speed, could corner with this many g's at that speed etc. I sort of smiled and nodded.

We got on the track and he was nowhere near competitive, theory means nothing.

We should eliminate theory tests for all drivers presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Oddly enough there are hedges and ditches and large vehicles in Urban Ireland too.

People drive in both urban areas and rural Ireland and avoid all those things there too.

Track driving's got nothing to do with Road driving.

Urban areas, are one thing Flinty997, where you will have wider roads, and built to carry heavy traffic, HGV's etc, The rural backroads here in the countryside are something else,,,where they are barely able to accommodate normal traffic IE: cars, and even then you will have to be careful, When meeting a school bus, one vehicle will have to stop, throw in big massive tractors, where the front wheels come up to your drivers window, and the rear wheels to the roof, then you will have problems. I meet this kind of traffic every day, and the side of the car is full of scratches and scrape's. Recently, I had to replace a front tyre when a large tractor forced the car into the ditch, and it hit something sharp that was hidden there. BTW, I've driven HGV's as a professional driver,,,Scania's, Volvo's Mercedes Benz etc, so I'm familiar with City and Rural driving. And believe me, Its much easier to drive on roads which are designed to carry heavy traffic then rural roads, designed in the days of the horse and cart. But next time you are in a car park, just have a quick look around and see how many cars that will have scuffed alloys on them. Cities may not have many ditches to avoid, but for sure, they have lots of kerb's, and plenty of evidence that they have been in contact with wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

AHH come on.. we all know that living outside of any of the urban areas has the same issues as urban dwellers.

But with the advantage of open space, and bigger houses.

Rural areas have the same road quality, infrastructure and public transport... Doesn't it ?

:Rolleyes:

Open spaces in the Countryside? Of course, but its the roads we are talking about, not the open spaces. Big difference between city and large towns, and the roads linking them, and rural backroads, which are a different kettle of fish entirely. Main roads linking towns and cities are designed and built with large volumes of traffic in mind, No problem for 2 arctic's to pass each other, now put two large veh's meeting each other on a rural road, different situation all together. Its a situation I come across regularly. For example when the school bus meets a truck or a large tractor, that's when some delicate maneuvering's are required. Sure its doable, but that is not the same thing as equating it with city / town /main roads infrastructure. Because it's not, if only because rural roads are not as wide or as straight as their Urban counterparts.

You seem to think there are no narrow lanes or boreens near Urban areas. I'm not 15k from the city center yet there are farms all around. Roads that two cars can't pass each other.

If you're driving ditches, hedges and kerbs everywhere the problem isn't the roads.

How wide the road is, won't matter much if you can't drive straight to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Yes but older people should have smaller cars.

If you have narrow country roads where you live, have you ever met even a car coming around a corner, and you had to head for the ditch to avoid a collision? Or even worse, with high ditches, and sharp bends, you met with large vehicles, who are already into the ditch as much as possible, and in this situation, you can either hit the other vehicle or the ditch. Now tell me have you ever had this experience in your life on Country roads, or not?

I've been driving for more years than I care to count, all kinds of vehicles, and in multiple Country's, and conditions you will never experience here in Ireland, and I know how to drive, if that's what you are insinuating, with your " The problem isn't the roads* comment.

No, met him on the road though, near the Kremlin, Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When was the last time, taxi aside, that anyone saw a marked up commercial vehicle being pulled by the Gardai. Bread van, logistics truck, council worker, whatever…..

people who drive for a living and are under pressure, some who I’ve known take the absolute piss regarding adherence to road regulations…speed, traffic light compliance being the main two… but see many commercial vehicle drivers in court.. ?

• Advertisement

You realize having to drive into a ditch on regular basis is not normal for most people.

"...Conditions we will never experience in Ireland...."

I'll bet your the only person on this thread who has ever driven outside of Ireland. Even those who aren't from Ireland probably haven't done it. What's it like.

Advertisement