Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should there be an age limit on the Size of car you can drive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,632 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Testing every 3 to 5 years would be overkill and could lead to all sorts of issues.

For instance if someone who needs their car failed the test there could be serious repercussions for work or family until they got to re-sit.

Removing something that is vital to someone's life when they have done nothing wrong would be a big step.

Perhaps some sort of refresher module like the CPC to bring drivers up to date with legislation and safety initiatives could be considered where just taking part would fulfill the obligation.

I know a lot of truckers are cynical about the CPC but if everyone had to do something similar they might not feel singled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Some of the worst driving I’ve seen are in a Nissan Micra

A good craftsman never blames his tools. The driver is the problem, not the car

• Registered Users Posts: 28,709 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If someone fails their test, they shouldn’t be driving. There could be very serious repercussions for the people that have to share the road with that driver.

Regular retraining and retesting is a standard approach for maintaining skills in many areas- medicine, legal, financial, pilot- why not driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭mikeecho

CPC class's are hated by everyone I know. Boring, money grab etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They struggle to provide a service for those taking a test and you think they should massively increase the number of tests every year?

• Advertisement

They could roll out additional theory tests at the touch of a button, which would be a good start.

you think a lack of theory is the issue with peoples driving?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Don't agree on age or size limits , but certainly the idea that you get a licence at 17+ years of age and then the next time there is any kind of review of your suitability for driving is at 75 years of age when the medical certification requirement kicks in is a bit mad.

Every 3-5 years is excessive , but some kind of review cycle should exist for drivers.

A single ~30 minute evaluation to cover someone for possibly ~60 years of driving is a bit mad when you really think about it.

I got my licence almost 30 years ago , the changes in vehicles , roads and legislation in that time is significant. I'd like to think that I've kept myself up to date etc. in that time. I haven't had an accident/claim in a very very long time so I guess at the very least I'm a reasonably safe driver , but who knows what I'll be like over the next ~25 years before I need to check with a Doctor on my medical fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I've been banging on for years advocating routine re-testing of drivers, but I recognise that that's utterly impractical as the driver testing system is set up at the moment.

However, possession of a current Driver Theory Test Certificate at time of licence renewal wouldn't be an overly onerous requirement. They're valid for 2 years, which gives plenty of time for acquiring one, and at least it'd make people do a bit of revision on the current ROTR.

Full road test to get your licence back after a ban, irrespective of whether it was applied by the courts or as a result of accumulating enough points !!!

It is certainly one of many issues - there are lots of drivers who have no idea about current laws around mobile phone use, cycle lanes, clearways and many other aspects of driving theory. Do you see no linkage between knowledge of driving theory and quality of driving on the road?

• Advertisement

Very black and white in your approach as usual.

What you are really proposing is taking the right to drive from random citizens who have no medical issues, no driving convictions and possibly an accident free driving record for many years.

This is all suggested as a means to make the roads safer with no evidence that it would.

Here we may have common ground.

As I said earlier in the thread I think some sort of refresher module which it would be compulsory to complete within a generous time frame should be considered.

Yes I know that and I mentioned it in my post.

I've had my ears bent by by a good few HGV drivers complaining about them.

Maybe some sort of online module could be developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Every 10 years for a retest maybe and I agree if someone is banned from the road be it for 1 year or 20years they should have to retake there test again before getting back on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Unless someone is keen to ride a motorcycle straight away, there's a loophole in that system. I've never had a motorbike, have no desire to have one and haven't had my arse on the seat of a one since I passed the test many years ago. Although I've no experience of riding one (apart from 3 lessons on a driving school bike) I would be legally entitled to go out tomorrow and ride a very powerful machine as the years required just ticked by without use..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Properly, then yes, they probably do, it's not only young drivers I see every day ignoring mirrors, using phones, speeding etc.

But think a refresher every few years would be the ideal not necessarily that close together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't agree on the age part, (or on the N plate either for that matter). Logically, it's a pass / fail test, and after that it's almost impossible to infer the quality of someone's driving based on age (or 2 yr time limit).

In the first year I after passing my test, I drove 10X the distance my mother did annually. But 90% of that was on quiet motorway where one could argue I didn't learn much about city driving, and the reverse could be said too for someone else. Timeline are just completely arbitrary driver to driver, and IMO seriously devalue the actual test itself, if the passage of time is seen as important too.

As for graduated licenses, I'm all for it, if based on an actual test. Passing you test in a Micra should not automatically qualify you to drive an XC90 for example. The physical size is one thing, but more importantly visibility is limited in a larger vehicle, and the potential to do harm to others is much higher too. This is well known, and is already reflected in insurance premiums, and should be reflected in the testing methodology too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

So only oul lads should be allowed drive anything bigger than a Yaris. Seriously get a grip, I availed of an ETB course to get my bus and rigid licences when I was 22 after a period on the dole and found it a great experience and in no way was I any worse than lads more than twice my age on my course.

If anything professional driving is an ageing industry and needs young blood to replace the lads leaving and retiring. Only have to be 18 to get a bus licence in the UK which is what it should be here. No transport company is going to hire someone and keep them on if they don't feel they are capable of the job regardless of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭jmreire

Now that's something that needs looking at urgently...seriously heavy duty agriculture tractors pulling massive trailers and slurry tanks, etc. with 16/17 year old drivers behind the wheel. This time of year, they are on the roads a lot, and its something else to meet one , especially on a bend on a narrow country road. They can legally do this on the tractor licence class W, at 16 years. This is crazy when you see the rules and regulations involved in getting a car licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭mikeecho

And that's where the T licence is coming in.

It'll be a few years, but it's on its way.

I posted it,in a thread about a free E+B licence

• Advertisement

You don't think that every driver on the road should be capable of passing a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The worst driving I ever did was speeding home after passing both the car and motorbike tests

It's not that people aren't aware of how you should drive, it's that they couldn't be arsed doing it

People will willing put themselves in danger due to this, so what would a test achieve

That was then. This is now. If they’re a competent driver, they should be able to pass a test today.

If they’re a competent driver, they should be able to pass a test today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

There's a lot of sh1te drivers who get lucky on the day of the test. A driving instructor I was talking to said there's some you'd bet your house on to pass and fail and some who he'd think haven't a snowballs chance in hell and pass.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

And of course, this will put another financial burden on the already overburdened Irish motorist. Do you have any stats from either the Govt or Insurance company's to indicate the % of accidents caused by lack of knowledge re driving on Irish roads?

Some of the biggest "terrors" I meet on the roads, have the "N" plates displayed, and this applies especially to young drivers, and mainly males at that. If more frequent testing was of merit, I think that the Insurance company's would be pushing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen on these boards.... and that's saying something

The existing driving license's require medical certification before they can be issued,and so do Insurance Company's. Between the ages of 17 and 65+ you are required to notify both the Licensing Authority and your Insurance if you have an existing medical condition ( there are several on the application form) or if you develop any medical condition that would interfere with your ability to drive. And this applies to all Licenses issued, either 1st license or renewal's. So even with a 10 year license, and regardless of age, any deterioration in health which would affect your driving ability, has to be reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was driving around an Audi 100 when I was 17. A big car at the time but average by todays standards and had no issues driving / parking.

I don't agree at all with your idea.

Plenty people of all ages hopping off kerbs.

If I saw someone clipping a kerb or doing some other poor driving, I'd just be thinking they shouldn't be driving, not that they should be let loose in a polo instead.

I also think it's mad that alot of new drivers say they will get a banger until they learn properly. The idea must be that they expect to knock the corners off it. No thought at all given to the other cars that they might damage. I hate drivers that cannot keep their car damage free. Some people just seem to have new marks on their car weekly.

Advertisement