Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should there be an age limit on the Size of car you can drive?

Options
  • 03-07-2022 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think there should be.

For instance I recently seen some young ones all girls at least 4 maybe 5 in an Opel Insignia not an old model the very latest model and only about a year old and they were turning off a main road but as she did so the driver that was still in her school uniform drove up over the kerb. How could someone in secondary school even afford a car like that? The parents must be stone crazy if they lebt it to her. Obviously the car was too big for her and too powerful for someone that young too.

I think untill you are 25 you should be limited to cars in the A category class and from 25 to 30 you can have cars in the A to B category class of cars. Then from that age on you can drive whatever you like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,828 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

An Insignia is in no way powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,709 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't really see why age in itself would be the issue? Any age restriction without evidence to support it would be in breach of equality legislation.

I'd prefer to see mandatory speed limiters for ALL vehicles, regular retesting for ALL drivers every 3-5 years, effective enforcement of speed limits and other traffic laws with cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Don't really see why age in itself would be the issue?

Because they are too young to be driving such big cars and it has been proven especially in males not sure if it applys to Females too but the brain and their maturity is not fully developed untill they are around 25 years of age when they can then make better decisions.

I like your ideas do and agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Completely can't understand your point.

Driving licence category B allows you to drive a car or van up to 3500kg D.G.V.W, and I can't see any reason to limit that for younger drivers.

If they passed a driving test, then that means they are competent to drive a vehicle that size.

Also I actually think that usual pushing younger drivers into smaller cars that we can see in this country, is non-reasonable.

In case of accident, lighter car gives much less chance to remain unharmed, and at the same time younger unexperienced drivers are more prone to participate in accident (mainly due to lack of experience), so they even should be driving larger cars to remain safer.

Once my kids will reach driving age, I'll try to make sure, they are not driving one of those tiny deathtraps, but rather something big.

Whether its true or not about brain not fully developing until 25, I still fail to see why you think young person (with non fully developed brain) would be better off in small car?

• Advertisement
    Ms

Driving licence category B allows you to drive a car or van up to 3500kg D.G.V.W, and I can't see any reason to limit that for younger drivers.

I am not talking about the driving licence class but the class of car. For instance a Ford Mondeo and Opel Insignia are D Class cars. A VW Polo or Renault Clio are B class cars. A Renault Megane and an Opel Astra are C class cars. So the class of car a young person would be driving woukd be from the A or B class and there is nothing wrong with them cars either. They are very safe. They have to start somewhere and these cars come with just as much tech as bigger cars now.

Ms

Because they have to learn responsibility and respect. Given them a big barge straight away is just wrong. They will start to think they own the road and can get away with anything and have no respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Courious as to what car you drove when younger

Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What an absolutely ridiculous idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭User1998

There is already an age limit in place depending on engine size. Its called car insurance.

And btw a Volkswagen Polo is just as quick as an Opel Insignia. Would you have said the same if it was a Polo she was driving? Probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Both cars a class c ,think your been a bit hypocritical

• Absolutely not.

It's already a chore for people to start driving in Ireland.

Mother and father probably added her to their insurance. Maybe they cannot afford another car, plus insurance, tax, maintenance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,632 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I can see a practical problem with the proposal.

Many families can only afford one car.

If that car happens to be above whatever size/power combination that would be restricted young people from such families would be at a considerable disadvantage.

It could be suggested that such families should sell their car and buy a smaller one but they may need the one they have for other reasons ie. family size, towing capacity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. What about HGV's, farm and construction equipment? If nobody under thirty could operate those the economy would screech to a halt.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭teediddlyeye

An insignia is big and powerful?

Lol

Ever been to the US OP? Lads looking 20 or so driving Hemi V8s, and we think we're mad lads starting off in a 1.2 punto sporting.

Its a pain in the hole enough as it is getting started here.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 81,828 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The most recent bad crash in this country I can remember was a Peugeot 306 with 4 people in the back and 2 in the front, none wearing seat belts, 5 thrown out of the car when it crashed, 2 sadly died, it was doing an estimated 121km/h in a 50km/h limit urban area. Driver and passengers were all under 25. Existing laws in place ignored, no need for any additional laws in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,709 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If people in big barges think they own the road and have no respect for others, then we need to address people in big barges, regardless of their age.

Yes, smaller cars might have the same safety technology as bigger ones, and they might come up in crash tests equally good, and they even might be as safe as bigger ones when hitting stationary objects like wall or tree.

However in an accident between two vehicles where one is small and light and other is big and heavy, it's always the smaller one which will be liable to much higher forces and therefore bigger damage and bigger risk to occupants. Simple understanding of rule of conservation of momentum will just show you, that head on collision between 1tonne vehicle and 2 tonne vehicle both going at 50km/h, will have much more severe consequences for small one comparing to big one. Forces involved might be up to 4 times stronger from small car in case of such collision, and that might be a difference between life and death.

Are you suggesting that whoever drives larger vehicle owns the road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Currently your driver's licence limits the size of vehicle you can drive.

For most it's 3.5t

As for engine size, not many cars over 2L

And new cars don't seem to be any more than 1.6L

It's not like this country is overrun with teens driving 3 to 5L v8's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think untill you are 25 you should be limited to cars in the A category class and from 25 to 30 you can have cars in the A to B category class of cars. Then from that age on you can drive whatever you like.

Strange thought process you've going on there!

A 16 year old may drive a tractor with up to 2 trailers.

An 18 year old may drive an articulated truck.

A 21 year old may drive a bus with up to 110 passengers.

....yet you think 24 year olds should be limited to tiny cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I don't see why this couldn't work. Motorcyclists have had a 2 tier licencing system for decades. It was based on engine size and power output when I was learning to ride at the time. Took me years to get the right licence for the type of bike I ultimately wanted. Taught me how to appreciate and be aware of engine power as I went up the grades.

It won't happen anyway, so the point is moot. As it was when I was learning to drive a car, if you can afford the car and the insurance, then fire away.

Ms

A 16 year old may drive a tractor with up to 2 trailers.

An 18 year old may drive an articulated truck.

A 21 year old may drive a bus with up to 110 passengers.

Well that is wrong then. There is no way a 16 year should be aloud drive any if them monstrous tractor on the roads. A small old one maybe but not modern massive big Tractors.

The same with a lorry an 18 year old should not be driving one and certainly a 21 year old should not be driving a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They can fly a plane, can't drive a bus?

Where do you get these ideas from?

What's next, no kids until you are 30 years old?

And I did an A licence, passed, restricted for 2yrs,.. but didn't have a bike, and only bought one when I was unrestricted.

There will always to ways to cheat the system, I'm currently getting my other half to do a C licence, so, she will automatically get a T, which will entitle her to a BE (eventually)

Just like she did an A test, never drove a bike since, but now can (legally) drive a superbike

I did C &D over 10yrs ago, never driven either since, but I have grandfather rights to a CPC.

Learn the law, read up on what's coming down the line.. Work the system.

This is no longer a motor enthusiasts forum, it's a platform for cyclists and anti motoring fools to voice their rhetoric.

Boards is gone to the dogs, and the owners know it

It's a relic

(Not aimed at you wonski)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,632 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are just shooting from the hip now.

You started out getting upset because you saw some young woman making a mistake driving a normal family saloon and calling for restrictions on all young people.

Now you have escalated it to tractor, bus and truck drivers.

Several posters have pointed out flaws in your suggestions, why not address their points and we could actually have a discussion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

People love clamouring for restrictions. Anyone for another few months of Level 7 lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭creedp

If they are such death traps they should be banned for all drivers.

Consider testing drivers ever 3 to 5 years to be excessive. What would be the point? Do people forget how to drive after a couple of years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭creedp

Really tragic case and don't wish to make light of it. However, in recent times a typical response in this great country to this case would be to introduce a 30kph speed limit. Problem solved

Advertisement