Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't see what they would find now that they didn't over the last 26 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

They had a show trial in France so what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Cold cases get solved a lot of the time. Look at the Golden State Killer investigation solved after 40 years due to DNA genealogy and technological advances. Now I know this case is much different but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

it was locked at the time I posted this.

Maybe a Mod could merge please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Only yesterday a man in Cork was charged with a murder dating back to 1981.

People should listen to the West Cork podcast to get a good background on the case and all that has gone on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Yes factual

Link, sorry google it, it's very well know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think they have to do something there's so many podcasts tv shows about this case , it's getting international attention, there's a true crime boom, and it's an unsolved case. Also theres advances in dna tech being used to solve old cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If only every cold case could get it's own podcasts and tv shows. Maybe it only works for cold cases involving attractive white women with rich families?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

of course every such case should be solved and the guilty party must serve time for their awful crimes. This particular case just seems to be prioritised over any other unsolved murder cases, so I hope they do solve it this time so they can move on and give priority to other cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nothing will come of this, the crime scene was corrupted with Bailey himself being allowed free access to it. The DPP could never secure a conviction after the chaos that happened in the aftermath. They said as much more than 20 years ago so its not going anywhere.

Id still love to know where the blood splattered gate that was in Garda custody went to. I mean it takes a special kind of incompetence or corruption to lose a farm gate with blood on it that was seized as crucial evidence in a murder investigation. The murderers blood or DNA could be on that gate but its gone forever. Maybe the crackpot cold case team might turn it up, I wont be holding my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Dennis Waterman is dead now so the new new tricks ppl are not up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Even if new evidence was found, Bailey cannot get a fair trial at this stage (assuming any new evidence points towards Bailey that is). Absolutely nothing will come of this other than a waste of Garda time.

Would the gate be any use if it turned up now? No chain of custody etc. It would be inadmissable I would think.

yeah it couldnt be used as evidence at all as the chain of custody has been broken. Would still love to know what happened it as a gate is a pretty hard item to lose but somehow the Gardai managed it. The disappearance of the gate is symbolic of the complete shambles that this murder investigation was.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

How much is this going to cost and how many more inquiries are we going to have into the poor lady's murder? Seems to be every few months this story gets dragged up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well, allegedly, it was destroyed by the National Forensic Lab as of no further evidential value, however during the GSOC investigation the Gardai (who are supposed to manage the chain of evidence) didn't have a clue where it was...

https://extra.ie/2021/07/14/news/irish-news/ian-bailey-missing-gate-sophie-toscan-du-plantier

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

incompetence or corruption is exactly it, just how does that happen, an absolute critical piece of evidence goes awol and what ( ok the presumption is nothing ) happened to senior Gardai or any Gardai as a result…?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was listening to The Group Chat podcast yesterday and they were discussing the reopening of the case. Apparently the big focus will be on the timelines. They also mentioned that the recent podcasts and documentaries have naturally stirred up a lot of interest which as resulted in more calls to Gardaí about it. A lot of it is nonsense - people with their own conspiracy theories etc - but maybe not all of it was nonsense, some bits of info or new directions may have come from it.

yeah thats part of the problem with true crime podcasts, you have all sorts of armchair detectives coming up with theories which is fine in itself but then some of them are going further and then wrecking the Gardais heads with them and may even unwittingly be giving them a bum steer. You would also have complete cranks ringing up and making up hearsay conversations to try to provide evidence to fit the crime after the event.

Everyone connected to this case was living in a small area outside Schull and they've been interviewed multiple times over the years. Unless there is some sort of death bed revelation by someone admitting to the murder or intricate verifiable knowledge of it then I cant see anything changing.

Its interesting as well that this cold case review was ordered by Assistant Commissioner John o'Driscoll literally a few hours before he retired from the Gardai.I wonder what that was about

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's turned into a farce, a form of entertainment and everyone's an Agatha Christie now. People rocking up at the house to gawk in the windows and take selfies at the murder site.

I'd be very surprised if anything ever came out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not to mention the pages of the interviews being ripped out and the jacket the gards said was burned by Bailey was actually taken by them as evidence.

I’ve said it before, on here, whether Bailey did it, or not, the shambles made of the investigation means he can never be convicted, in this country, of the murder.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not like you need a masters degree from Harvard to understand if you are a Garda of any rank, that your station needs to have a secure and lockable area to admit evidence into, so it’s safe, accessible to a certain rank and that it’s not left lying in cars, in jackets, on tables etc….

same fellas responsible for that carry on out the next day probably prosecuting people for various offenses when such mammoth gaps in leadership, judgement and common sense exist, christ. 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It was sent to Dublin and forensically examined. Nothing evidential was found. It was then disposed of - sold to a scrapyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Probably mentioned before , but Jim Sheridan just said on the news that he believes she was stabbed and choked before been beaten with rock .

I didn't hear this before , although I haven't seen the documentaries.

Id never heard that before, where did this come out? It was reported that there was blood on the gate back when the story of it emerged, I think it was around about the time they discovered that Bandon garda station had illegal telephone wire taps on phone calls between suspects and their solicitors

I'm going to call shennanigans on the story that the Gardai didn't lose the gate. I don't believe a word of it. For a good few years it was claimed that the gate was lost and the Gardai kept schtum. Then in 2021 the Gardai said that it wasn't lost, we had it all along and then we threw it away. Ayeeeee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Having read many articles etc., I didn't hear/read about stabbing or choking but the extreme damage to her head by the concrete block could have covered up some other killing method or evidence.

Advertisement