Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Not recovered memory. I said he suddenly remembered the importance of the introduction, not the actual meeting.

So he remembered it for 15 years and then went to the police with the information?, or did the police come to Leo? Wasn't that around the time his grow-house in Durrus got busted?

The Gardaí have an amazing ability to help people remember stuff.

" I suspect that this is the genesis of the whole "Alfie did it" silliness."

For what it's worth I don't think Alfie did it, he may have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And didn't he get a remarkably light sentence for such a level of criminal operation, totally out of synch with some other sentences from that judge.

And where does that judge pop up again later...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

"The Gardaí have an amazing ability to help people remember stuff"

That is supposition. I have no issue with Bolger remembering in detail that introduction. For example, Bannsidhe came on here last year and told us about her own introduction to Ian Bailey in some detail. This had happened over 25 years previously. I haven`t looked back to find the post, so off the top of my head, she attended a gathering at Alfie`s where she was introduced to Ian Bailey and found herself stuck with him for some time afterwards as he bored her by talking about himself.

Now imagine a scenario where soon after that meeting Bailey hightailed it back to England and was never heard tell of again. If you asked Bannsidhe 25 years later about meeting an English guy at Alf Lyons back in the mid 90`s, I would suggest that her memory of it would be vague at best. It is the fact that Bailey became the most notorious murder suspect in recent Irish history, when the memory of the meeting was still relatively fresh in her mind, that enables her to remember it so clearly now. She would replayed the meeting in her mind any time Bailey turned up on TV or in print in the intervening years. The same logic applies to Leo Bolger. He introduced the notorious murder suspect to the murder victim.

I also do not suspect that Gardaí had any input in Bolger making up a story. I don`t see the risk reward tradeoff for what was a relatively mundane piece of information. After all it has been regularly repeated by a few around here that even if Bailey really did know her, that doesn`t mean he killed her. Bolger was only confirming an introduction made by Alfie. The notion that the Gardaí were going around coercing multiple witnesses to invent stories that would incriminate Bailey is ridiculous. That didn`t even happen with Martin Graham.

"So he remembered it for 15 years and then went to the police with the information? or did the police come to Leo?"

My understanding is that Leo was listed to be called in the `04 libel case. He wasn`t called because the case was settled first, but apparently he was going to testify that Alfie had introduced Bailey to Sophie. In the end he made the statement after the drug bust.

Bannasidhe actually wrote notes on her meeting with Bailey, anticipating being questioned by the Gardaí, but they never spoke to her.

As soon as Bailey's name was in the frame Bannasidhe went back over the party and made the notes. I'd imagine observing a brief introduction which you were not part of, is a bit different to having to having to put up with Bailey boring the sh1t out of you for a whole afternoon. A blowhole she called him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The circumstantial evidence against Bailey is dubious at best. The only place it would stand up is in a kangaroo court in France.

It was confirmed by lawyer Paula Mulooly to West Cork Podcast that Leo was in line to testify that he was present when Alfie introduced Bailey to Sophie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wonder are they looking for someone in relation to new DNA evidence?

maybe the wine was a parting gift at Christmas but the killer was incensed at being rejected/broken up with? I guess it would rule out a Frenchman as they wouldn't throw a wine away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Alot of the problem with the STDP murder is its clickbait for many media outlets. This news provided is nothing new.

Id believe she knew the man definitely or he was in a position of authority, but didnt let him into her home, went out to meet him, considering the boots etc she put on & the location of the murder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So If it turns out to be someone else what happens to the Show Trail they had in France ?

If it turns out to be connected to France... very embarrassing for France.

It it turns out to be someone Irish they will heap the blame on us and say they acted on what they had been given in good faith.

Then why post that it's obvious who did it when you know you can't mention names? Plenty of us haven't a clue so the dropping of "oh the dogs on the street know" or other such statements are frustrating.

So, someone local she knew?

I didn’t need all the fingers of one hand, and two of them are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

The four most compelling pieces of evidence I've heard against Bailey are as follows:-

1. The scratches on his face
    2. The sighting of him near the murder scene on the night
    3. The confession to the boy he gave a lift to
    4. The sobbing confession to that couple who he and his partner Jules were having drinks with

And that sounds pretty damning, but all of these points have been challenged as being either caused by something else, or recanted, or taken out of context. Because the gards made such a hames of the initial investigation, actual forensic evidence that implicates someone appears to be nil.

I believe that our justice system's first priority should be to prevent the wrongful conviction of innocent people and that means proving cases beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately, that will mean that guilty people sometimes walk free, especially where investigations have been improperly handled. While it could be that Bailey did it, because there is no conclusive evidence against him, I can't say that I think he's guilty.

Much as we'd all love to see this solved, I just can't see it. If the new DNA evidence had turned up Bailey, he'd at least have been interviewed by now, and according to weekend articles about the case, he hasn't. Much as I'd love to believe its him because he's a POS with zero morals, the evidence isn't there or else we'd surely know about it.

Doesn't mean it wasn't, but our law convicts by a standard of proving guilt beyond reasonable doubt, and on the whole that keeps innocent people from going to jail.

But still. Doesn't exonerate Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Probable, then, that Bailey will live out what remains of his life in that legal purgatory between 'legally innocent' and 'still suspected by a whole load of people' , ala OJ Simpson. He'll be kind of a free man in that he won't be incarcerated for the crime of which he is suspected, but he'll never be able to safely leave Ireland and he'll routinely face accusatory stares and whispers wherever he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wasn't just the gards fault, one very unreliable witness in particular comes to mind who really wasted a huge amount of time and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Or maybe one particular witness that was coerced by the Gards to fill the gaps??

It beggers belief that the prosecutions star witness (had it gone to trial), would later be the accused star witness in a libel case against the Gards...

Couldn't make it up....

That was either in whole or in part the Guards fault. Maybe she was unreliable because of Garda interaction, maybe she was just unreliable... but police officers should see through that. They latched onto an unreliable witness because they had no real evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gards may see it, but the DPP makes the call. Gards often have to take a lot of information at face value and coerced? Come on, she was having an affair and a strange attention seeker. Again, a lot of wasted time and resources.

misread the post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

Is she in a relationship with Jim Sheridan? The rumour has been doing the rounds with a few months now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

Hadn't heard it. Interesting to see how she gets on with the libel action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

God, that would be a bit mental if the two of them got involved. Wasnt expecting that although Jim did lose his wife last year I think. I guess stranger things have happened. Fair play to her on suing Netflix, absolute trash of a documentary. Deliberately leaving out key pieces of information in it to paint the picture they wanted. They're quickly losing any credibility they had in the first place for documentaries.

I heard that a while ago but assumed it was rubbish, however going to this public event together, who knows?

Maybe they have shared trauma in common after years of Bailey 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I guess it would have been difficult to attend a Sophie tribute night alone?

Your man Sheridan could be making another documentary, and be gaining good information and film footage by way of accompanying Jules around the town.

I don't think too many people would dispute the seedy character of Bailey, a quick flick over his tik tok clips will enlighten anybody with any lingering doubts there...

However, a man's seedy nature does not make him a murderer.

PS - I have engaged with you in the past on other threads, and totally get your mindset & the reasons you withdrawn your support for Ian Bailey.

His manner for a man of his years is somewhat strange, the innuendos are creepy at best - No argument from me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

He is a bad person. I don’t think there is any doubt about that. He may also be a murderer, whether there is any doubt is for a jury to decide.

• Advertisement

No not that event, this other one in linked article this week. The sophie event id think nothing of, but this looked more like a public declaration of togetherness, but who knows or really cares.

Advertisement