Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Happy with owning an EV in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In late 2019 our 2006 BMW 320d developed an electrical issue which we couldn't get resolved (BMW or Indy's), and we were toying with the idea of importing either an Audi A6 or a Mercedes E-Class from the U.K. before the Brexit door slammed shut on imports...

We knew we would eventually end up in an EV, but felt we had 1 last ICE in us before making the switch.

Cut to January 2020 and with the electrical issue getting worse, as well as being completely random (dash warning lights would flash and chime, wipers, indicators wouldn't work, car sometimes went into a sort of limp mode where it wouldn't go higher than 3rd gear (autobox) as well as loads of other faults)... Anyway we were driving one day and saw a 'Tesla' but it looked different from the few other Tesla's we'd seen before, and then I remembered that the 'cheaper' Tesla was now available in Ireland, so one Saturday we took a spin out to Sandyford to have a look at the car in person, and were very impressed by it, and the Tesla guy who explained everything to us.... We just looked at the car in the showroom and didn't do a test drive or anything... but were very impressed with the car, and Tesla themselves.....

A week or 2 later, and driving across the M50 in the pi$$ings of rain, the electrical issue arrived again and the wipers wouldn't work, and we were stuck in 3rd gear doing about 80km/h, and it was an extremely dangerous situation to be in....... so that night (Jan 18th) I ordered a Tesla Model 3 SR+ (bearing in mind at this point I'd never driven a Tesla (or any electric car before)).

I was resigned to losing my beloved 320d to scrap as the issue was getting so bad the car was very unsafe for us to drive in winter..... but about a week before we collected the Tesla I bought a 2nd hand alternator for the BMW on eBay for about €30 and fitted it, and low and behold it completely resolved the electrical issue (BMW main dealer had proposed a new alternator which I politely declined as they were quoting in the region of €1,500 for the job....).

At this point we were too far in with the Tesla order, but nothing was going to deter us from buying it anyway so we pressed on, and collected it on March 13th (Friday 13th, the day the school's first closed), and immediately fell in love with it.

Here we are 28 months and 57,500km later, and we still love it as much as we did on that first day. It wasn't the 1st EV we ever drove as we did take an SR+ for a test drive about 2 weeks before we collected ours, and it only confirmed to us that we'd made the right decision.

Are we happy owning it? Yes, Extremely fcuking happy owning it...

On Saturday we felt like doing something spur of the moment, so decided on a day trip from North County Dublin over to Roundstone in Galway and back... to visit the beach in Dog's Bay. A 642km round trip which required absolutely zero planning in terms of charging thanks to the SuC network... At home we have Solar PV so lately (when I do need a grid charge)I never charge the car to more than 70% (unless I know we are doing a big trip the following day), and Friday night was no different, set it to charge to 70%, and that's what we left with on Saturday morning, and I had absolutely zero doubts or concerns about getting the required charges along the way in Enfield & Athenry.. (Distance: 642km, Total Energy: 105kWh, Avg Energy: 164 Wh/km, Total cost: ~€2.40 for the 20kWh I put in on Friday night as SuC is still free for me + tolls).

In 2 weeks we are taking the car on the Ferry to Cherbourg, to then drive 1,250km to Kiel in Northern Germany to take another Ferry to Lithuania, and again, haven't even given charging on the drive through France/Germany a 2nd thought as I know I'm covered with SuperChargers for the entire route, and the car will tell me when and where I need to stop and charge, and for how long I'll need to charge at each charger....

Still have the BMW as a 2nd car but it's used very infrequently these days (last time was this day 4 weeks ago), and it's a pain paying €710 to tax it and it might only do less than 500km in a year!!! The economics means its just easier/cheaper to keep that for another year or 2 before trying to change it for a 2nd EV...

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

EV owner(s) since 2015. Sold the ICE (2nd family car) after it sat unused for the bones of 6 months. Charge at home and at work. In order of frequency we use bikes, public transport, our EV and use a short term rental company service if we are ever stuck and need a second family car at short notice.

Happy with driving EV, it's one of the best financial decision we ever made. Tax, servicing, fuel and insurance saved. Bumped up our pension AVCs with those car savings, I should be able to retire earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

With Respect to the Short term rental - with costs rising through the roof on rentals, is that something that you still use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Bought a 3.5 year old second hand Leaf40 in January for 21k, paying €400 a month on the car loan but saving €50 a week on fuel so actual cost is just €200 a month - Meaning actual cost is only 12k over 5 years

The only problem I'm having with it at the moment is the NCT keeps getting cancelled. Other than that I see no benefit to buying brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

The only time we've ever needed a second family car is if the children need to be in two different places at the same time, and we're also bringing other children along. So, dropping a bunch of kids off to a party, and some other parent picks up later... something like that. It's very very rare that happens.

We use enterprise go. it's 20 euro for a year's membership, and you get 20 euro credit. A car is 8 euro an hour on that. We've used it once so far this year, for 2 hours.

There are also car sharing apps that do the same kind of thing I think, but you're lending or borrowing a private car in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Cheers for that, 1 car family here and have never needed a second car but always wanted to have a back up option - not EV specific but saw the mention, hence the question.

Thought I'd do some thread resurrection 😁

Last Monday I drove from Swords to Centre parcs Longford in the ID.4

Car was loaded to the brim with clothes, toys, scooters, a buggy and some humans

I plugged the car in the evening before, set to charge to 100% and started the charger before I went to bed

The day of the holiday we drove there, didn't charge at all and arrived with 72% remaining

Ran the AC a few times during the week to freshen the interior

Today we got into the car and drove home without any stops, arrived home with around 40%

So 230km driven without charging stops for a bit over €5, what's not to be happy about 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And you got 50% discount on the tolls 😁

• Advertisement

what's not to be happy about

The initial price, if you can even get your hands on one

Cars, second most expensive thing you're likely to buy in your life 😉

You don't have to buy brand new, there are EVs from about €5k, which will give you near zero maintenance, zero depreciation, super low fuel cost motoring. With the lowest possible total cost of ownership of any car, even one given to you for free.

To be fair most of those cheaper EVs would require one (or more) charging stops for a long journey like I described

But equally you don't need a 77kWh battery to make the distance.

A Leaf40 or Ioniq28 would probably have made it in one go and with plenty of destination chargers available they could be charged up for the journey home

Cheapest one I've found today was €22k, which isn't money to be sneezed at but isn't as totally unaffordable either

Cheapest what? You can buy an Ioniq 28kWh from about €17-18k privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another happy ev owner here.

Currently on a gen 2 Leaf after owning a Gen 1 Leaf.

I think the fact that so few ev owners ever sell and buy an ICE car again speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You could, but I've already taken a deposit on mine and the next cheapest was 20k+

Just took a look a Dondeal, cheapest Leaf40 I could find

As you say if you're properly looking you can find them cheaper, I was just taking a quick glance to see what was available

You asked what's not to be happy about, I was only answering :p

I said the same thing about petrol cars when I bought my first diesel in 2015 - and to be fair I was right as I went from that to a leaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭eagerv

I'd say the third....

(She doesn't come here very often..)😁

There are 3 Leafs currently on DD for around that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Roof rack is available for the leaf - have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Roof rack is also available for Leaf, use one with a roof box

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What's not to love about EVs, with the great weather we're getting I'm 100% powered from the sun, true zero emissions driving

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Same here, my EVs have been about 80-90% powered from the sun over the last 3 months.

The only catches with solar panel installation is the high initial cost and the fact they only work during the day while I'd be at work

They work all the time you just need a battery to store the energy.

I have an 8kWp/6kW/21kWh system being installed end of next month. That will see us totally off grid 8-9 months of the year. (with the aim of adding more and more panels, and a couple of wind turbines, in the future to be fully off grid)

• Advertisement

Yes if you are at work most days and your car is there, then you won't be able to charge it from PV. Many people (myself included) work mostly from home these days though. It's then just a matter of discipline to plug the car in if / when the weather is decent

Also the initial cost of a PV install does not have to be huge at all, most of my system has a pay back time of just a couple of years. DIY install, buying at good prices and upgrading regularly, selling my old gear for more than it cost me at the time.

Advertisement