Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving my kids to another GAA club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I know the stipulation in the transfer rules that you're thinking of, but just to point out that it doesn't have to have been competitive football or hurling.

The rule is basically that you need a transfer if you've already taken part in organised games at U12 level or above, and it specifically mentions Go Games (i.e. non-competitive) as being organised activity.

I'm curious as to what area he's been living in since birth - the area of the club he wants to leave, or the area of the club he wants to transfer to?

If it's the area of the club he wants to transfer to, then why or how was he playing for the other club in the first place? Might be relevant, and it might either greatly help you or greatly go against you, depending on the precise circumstances.

PM me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

It would be worth making a complaint to the Ombudsman for Children.

The notion that the GAA thinks that parents cant decide whats best for their kids is contrary to childrens rights and likely unlawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭heftie

Has played u13 hurling last year , got shot down by leinster council who said a 12 year old must sign appeal form ( I signed transfer form along with club sec and CCC in carlow had no issue with it but Hearings Ctee would not accept same ) so now he has no Avenue of appeal will be out of hurling for at least a year and have to reapply to transfer next year - it gets worse if anyone has any advice on how to deal with this crowd please let me know

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

There was no club in the area at the time , complained to Ombudsman for Children who have no remit over GAA despite all the public money GAA gets

• Advertisement

Yes it's in breach of article 12 of UN Article 12 childs right to representation

UNCRC article 12

There was no club here at time.club hes with now have no team after under 14 , combine with another team after that , have no adult team to progress to ( never had in 10 years)

They objected under 6.2 , he ticks every box of it ,bye law in carlow says you cant transfer to a club more that 6km away , he doesn't live within 6km of any hurling club including his current club

Thinking of getting him out of the county for a year if I could kk

Not sure where I'm at might get the law involved yet

Okay, I'm doing my best to figure out what are (with respect) a couple of disjointed posts.

Am I correct in thinking he played hurling last year with a club or combination of clubs, which continues to offer hurling at his age group?

On what exact grounds are you seeking a transfer?

And by the way, Rule 6.2 is simply definitions. I don't understand how any objection could be lodged under that, since it doesn't set out any processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

Have you tried the child welfare route? Ask to take to the counties Child Protection Officer and allude to reporting them.to Tusla for failure to adhere to Child First principles.

The rule is almost certainly unlawful. I suspect that if they think you'd take it further, they"d liky make an "exception"for fear of being made change the rule for all.

• Advertisement

In all fairness, unless there's been incidences already or a real danger of things like physical, mental, or sexual abuse of the child, then talk of things like the Children's Ombudsman, the UNCHR, and Tusla's "Children First" is neither relevant nor helpful.

This is simply a case of the membership rules of a sporting organisation.

Key question here is on what grounds the person is seeking a transfer, and on what grounds it's being refused or objected to.

Ok here goes

He lives in kellistown carlow born and raised in Ballon Rathoe area of Carlow which is the catchment area of Burren Ranger.

Hes being playing hurling in Setanta Carlow since he was 5 approx (2016).which is in Carlow town itself as it was the nearest club at the time.Setanta does not offer any hurling to a 15 /16 year old on it's own as it regularly combines with Carlow Town Hurling Club at this level.Setanta never had a minor team and have been in existence for 13 years.He wishes to transfer to hurl with his neighbour's and friends where he lives and also due to some personal issues hes had at his previous club.

He applied for a transfer in Jan 2024 and was rejected under rule 6.2 of official guide (TO).He ticks all boxes of 6.2 , resident in area, connection to area etc The transfer request was signed by secretary of Burren Rangers and myself his parent and accepted by carlow CCC

Appealed decision to the hearings committee- never got a hearing because the child who is 12 didn't sign the appeal but it was signed by Secretary and myself ,consistent with the transfer application.

Asked Leinster Council for clarification and they rowed in behind GAA Carlow.

The Rules allow for Secretary of a club to act in transfer process , the GAA have a rule on this but wont implement it in Carlow as they choose to interpret it that the appellant sign an appeal form.

I've pointed all this out in writing to GAA Carlow but they dont like being told where they've been wrong.My child as a result is in limbo and has no hurling for the foreseeable

I dont know If anybody has read GAA rules but I think asking a child to sign an appeal form quoting GAA rules is completely out of order.

As a result of this I haven't even got a hearing.lost all faith in the GAA

By the way;

(Setanta as such may have been operating in contravention of GAA rules for a number of years as the members of a combined team must be registered to their adult club which Setanta doesn't have and the County Board have allowed this)

Regarding rule 6.2 Carlow GAA operate the 6km rule which says you cant transfer to a club more than 6km.away. The catchment area where he lives is quite large and while the pitch is 12km away he still.lives within the catchment area closer in fact than Burren Ranger secretary and her own kids and numerous other kids in the area .By the way Setanta is more than 6Km away also.

Lost all faith in the GAA

Thanks a lot , I've contacted childrens officer and awaiting a reply ,hope to go on Liveline this week

Fair enough but how can GAA stand over asking a 12 year old to sign an appeal form quoting GAA rules when an adult would have difficulty interpreting same??

This is simply the GAA hiding behind the rule book.

They make a big play on child safeguarding with all the lovely commitments they espouse to protect the child, they even mention how they commit to dealing with "organisational.abuse" . Should have a good look at themselves.

If you start ignoring childrens rights where do you stop??

I've argued the grounds of him seeking transfer and 6.2 rejection doesn't hold up at all!!

The transfer form.in Carlow doesn't ask why the transfer is sought !!

But I cant get a hearing ? Who do they think is going to attend the appeal.hearing ? The 12 year old child? Give me a break!!

Ok I get your point about UNCRC etc but when nobody in GAA is listening to you, refuses to give you an appeal even when the GAA rules facilitate this you are forced to examine any angle to get yourself heard.The GAA is full.of guff about child safeguarding etc but their systems and processes amount to "playing god" with childrens lives and to use their own term" organisational abuse" just plain sick of them

The GAA is effectively becoming the ," wild west" for childrens rights

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Greengrass53

Far too dangerous for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Your child has the "right" simply not to play GAA. This isn't a safeguarding issue since your child is in no danger.

Pretty sure any court in the country is going to tell you that membership of any club or sporting organisation means you are obliged to follow their rules and procedures. That doesn't mean the GAA are in the right, but still, that's where you stand legally.

BTW, post #73 would make your child identifiable to anyone who is familiar with the area or clubs, I would suggest you edit it heavily.

I agree but hes broken no rules. Applying for a transfer is allowed within the rules last time I checked.To get a fair hearing is not asking too much.Discriminating against a child may not be against any rules but not very nice if you are on the receiving end of it.

Pretty sure if you check the GAA documentation around safeguarding that you'll find words like ,discrimination, organisational abuse etc and all the guff that goes with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

This carry on is laughable when you see lads getting transfers to clubs they have no ties with other than an ESB bill in their name for some apartment in the area for a few weeks until the transfer goes through.

@heftie - the first two paragraphs here are very valid. Up to yourself whether or not you heed the advice of the last line.

So, in case you do decide to edit that post, I wont actually name the clubs or areas here, but will instead summarise my understanding of it like this -

The club in whose catchment area you live (Club A) didn't offer hurling when your son started to play, so you sent him to hurl with Club B instead.

Is it the case that Club A are now offering hurling at his age group after all, and so that's the club you want to transfer into?

Or is there a Club C involved, that you want to transfer to instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm an underage coach with my local (very small) club, we all have to do safeguarding courses. This isn't it.

It's a very unfortunate situation to be in and you'd wonder what the club has to gain from it, but I'm not sure the Ombudsman or any other such avenue is the way forward.

Apart from submitting the transfer, have you spoken to anyone in his current club about it?

Yes you have it theres no club C ,

Resigned now to him having no hurling for the year and disappointed that I'm going to have to go through this shite again next year with no guarantee of getting away from club A .totally drained from GAA carry on.I've tried everything to get a hearing , the GAA have stonewalled me , and turned me into a "tink_r"

I rang the chairman out of courtesy before submitting the transfer to let him know but they objected nevertheless. Have had no contact with them otherwise

Hi any more info on this? Trying to get my kid away from a club and have had transfer rejected , have been told he will have to sit it out for the year and still have to reapply next year with no guarantee of success then either , any ideas re your previous post?

Yes last year at u13 level.

What are valid grounds for a transfer? The transfer form doesn't request this in Carlow ?? Its a one page document with v little on it , departing / receiving club and a few signatures??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Parents with these kind of issues have gone to court and been successful, there was on in South Kerry in the last few years.

Afaik there's no such issues with girls, it's a bizarre carry on by the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not so sure about your second paragraph.

Clubs and sporting organisations must operate within the law. If the law requires parental consent for actions involving minors, then the GAA are in breach.

Advertisement