Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an architect

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Druidyourlookingfor

Its not quite a year yet but alot has happened in the past few months. Like you said, they quite possibly did have staff shortage issues. We had another wee addition to our family just to pile more pressure on a house that badly needs renovation. So our focus was obviously not on hounding them for an update on the phone when all we wanted was a reply back to an email on status of the project. Here we are speculating when all they have to do is communicate their issues why it has stalled!?!! It's just bloody manners at this rate.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm still confused though

You refer to "update" and "status on the project" but yet you've already said that what they were engaged to do was complete.

So there would be no "update", and the "status of the project" would have been 'complete' a year ago, according to what they were engaged to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i dunno, theres a bit of truth in that being kinda the culture though i think. out of the various tutors i had in college, id say id describe only about 10/15% as anything other than rude/ignorant. having worked in offices of various scales since then, id say it is/was about 50-50 in terms of colleagues, i think architecture might be one of those professions that just attracts those kinds of people. or maybe the education culture is so toxic it creates these people. or maybe im just cynical, who knows

anyway, in all seriousness construction has been unbelievably busy over the last few years so that probably has come into it. but it comes down to what was agreed at the initial stage op, was the architect engaged just to obtain planning permission or were they to be involved in the construction stage too? or was it to start with planning and then be re-evaluated once the first stage was completed? if they were to just be involved in the planning stage then, while theyre being rude, they dont really owe you further communication to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

If I was you I would leave any building works for 18 months or so. With the recession kicking in by the end of the year you will save at least a good % on the cost

• Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

and have you seen the price of building materials and other expenses related to construction work (oil/gas, etc). These commodities will not stay that high for ever and the fact is interest rates rising will mean more people pulling out of doing construction work as it has just become even more expensive if they need loan so it might mean less work going around and some actual competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Druidyourlookingfor

Agreed, Materials and labour right now make it a hostile time to do anything in construction and the budget would have to be pulled apart but life has to go on, can't stay paused forever. We hired these people to go all the way with this. The payment for each stage was agreed once they completed each stage so it was never a case of "just get us to the planning and then we will see", we were promised that the design would be carried through to construction. I guess I'm negative because this is the second architect, the first one was in early 2019, an absolute disaster and had nothing to show us at the start regarding drawings because he didn't communicate with his surveyor and when it came to us seeing what he came up with he was a mess and had nothing and blamed the surveyor. The house could of possibly have been half built or even started before covid arrived. If we are getting a new architect it will be wifey who is picking them because I'm 2 for 2 with the arseholes. Rant over.

Advertisement