Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah, mix of some getting paid less by onward distributors due to a % deal and general opposition to people being made think you could actually get a bag of carrots for 6c - think that was the cheapest they got that Christmas, the undercutting started at 9c so there wasn't a large amount to cut by!

All 9c/69c/99c/whatever discount deals being offered are loss leaders that you will end up paying for in dearer costs for other food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I see Tesco have removed their Creamfields yoghurt range.

They were really good yoghurts and very cheap.

Their own brand yoghurt is more expensive and tastes much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Tesco are getting ridiculous these days with the constant dropping of decent brands. There is so little choice now it's pathetic. I've had the delivery saver thing for about 5 years now, but once it's up in a few weeks, I am 100% going to Dunnes. I put together a basket of similar items from Dunnes just to check, and it is marginally a little more expensive even with the 10 off every 50, but I was genuinely shocked at the absolutely massive range of choices you have compared to tesco. Why have tesco done this? All the 'this product has been removed from our range' notices on so many everyday things is infuriating. Also, the quality of the stuff that actually gets delivered has gone way way downhill. Short best before dates that were never an issue now has become the norm. It feels like a company that is doing a last cash grab before jumping ship big time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Creamfields was own brand, just not Tesco branded own brand. They have tens of faux brands to sit in between own brand and branded

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

TK maxx are the worst for this. Over 50% of their stock is under their own faux brands or brands make to the price point tk maxx want.

I had a creamfields yogurt once. It was utter muck. Full of stabilisers and artificial flavouring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is the renamed Tesco Value at same pricepoint, just like Growers Harvest, Ms Mollys, Stockwell&Co, Springforce, HW Nevill, Hearty Food Co, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Ive spoken to a few drivers about this, the online business is separate to the in store business they were saying.

They have different ranges of products, alot of the stuff removed from online is still available in store.

There is no logic to it either, for example, 2 litre bottles of 7 Up Free were unavailable for me to buy for over a year, always out of stock online. Bizarre.

I even spoke to customer support and they said they would resolve it, they didnt.

I had a creamfields yogurt once. It was utter muck. Full of stabilisers and artificial flavouring.

The natural Greek yoghurt was very nice and didnt have much additives.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BolloxChop

Spotted this in Tesco. They changed the name slightly, made them smaller and upped the price. Absolute scumbags.

€25/kg 😂 That is like premium fillet steak prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i've seen the price of sparkling water go up in aldi, but that is'nt all this is about. i wanted to touch on water and how super markets are using the whole return label excuse to bump up their own prices on products before even adding the deposit.

with this example sparkling water what i assumed to be €3.15 is now gone up to €4 + €1.80 deposit = €5.80 total!

i feel the same is gonna happen soon with regular bottled water in aldi, as soon as they've gotten rid of the non-logo non-deposit stock or as soon as june 1st (whichever happens sooner), it's gonna be around the same price as its sparkling counterpart if not more, i'm calling it.

They seem to no longer have any regular lid 12x500ml bottled water, next closest thing is 12 sports cap 12x500ml. The websites list 24x500ml normal lid packs of bottled water, but been to 3 aldi's today and rang up 5 more, none have it. Lidl's and tesco already have return logo's on their own bottled water and put the prices up too.

Too many places are taking advantage of this return scheme and using it to their advantage to bump up the price on their own items. This return scheme should only be the price of the deposit added to what we would normally play for the product. What we would normally pay for the product has now been increased! Stores are free to do this in ireland as no price commish etc, but they're clearly doing it alongside the return scheme. This picture with price difference when in comparison of sportscap normal water 12x500 vs sparkling water 12x500 is a lovely example that shows supermarkets are deliberately doing this alongside the return/deposit scheme. Otherwise non-logo water would have been bumped up in price too otherwise. BIG DIFFERENCE €3.15 VS €5.80!!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Lidl have reduced their 5 litres of still water to €1.35.

Aldi do 3x5L for €3.99.

you seem to be missing the point entirely, 5 litre bottles are not part of the return scheme and are exempt from it.

"Too many places are taking advantage of this return scheme and using it to their advantage to bump up the price on their own items."

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Not missing the point at all.

You can avoid the disaster that is the return scheme by buying 5L bottles which have been reduced.

Lengthy essays about the DRS scheme can go it it's dedicated thread.

Price increase can of course be mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's good value but they are a bit of a handful for some elderly or frail people.

They will end up paying the extra for smaller sizes plus the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

As Ive said in the DRS thread. Great time to invest in an under sink RO filter to avoid all this bottled water gouging (and benefit the environment with less plastic usage). Will pay for itself no problem and you're guaranteed clean drinking / cooking water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The 5lt bottles also take up a lot of room in the fridge and don't fit on the fridge door. PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed on the 5L bottles. They are painful

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's the best price for the bigger multi-packs I've seen since this return scam started. Basically 2 for 1 at the moment.

I have 6 of the slabs stacked in the hall that I've bought over the last week. Will keep me going for a while!

My apologies. i understand your point, but my point was the price increase and how stores are deliberately taking advantage to increase their own prices further.

Also 5L bottles being reduced is nice for people with the intent of solely consuming the water themself or with family, or to save on plastic. If buying for a sports team of kids or for half now-half later, having some unopened bottles left can be more a priority. EDIT: also some kids struggle to open/lift a 5lt bottle, or make a mess

Noted, i apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Top up your 1L,1.5L,2L bottles for the fridge.Possibly not healthly to keep those bottles too long,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

I wish there was a site wide ban on "think of the elderly" comments.

You can be certain that the "elderly" are far far far better able to do and manage most things in life compared to the snowflakes that use faux care for "elderly" in a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Yes,way too much talk of the elderly on Boards.They are well able to consider their own needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you ever looked after an elderly person or indeed a poorly young person you would understand that lifting and pouring from a container that weighs 5 kilos can be quite a task.

Not being able to manage them means they may have to pay more for smaller bottles and also have the inconvenience of a deposit.

I hope Boards never becomes so intolerant that mentioning the needs of others is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Carers wanted nationwide. No need to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah feck the elderly! 😆

Sure theyre all the same anyway! All have the same ability to lift bags / containers and remember everything. None have arthritis in their hands. None have dementia. Fit as fleas they all are.

I hope you 2 are teenagers because these could be the dumbest pair of comments Ive read on here in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Toiletries have got very expensive these days.

I would buy all of mine in the North as they would often be so much cheaper, but have noticed that even North, there are very few deals these days.

Could buy them in the south, the prices are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Always shocked by the price difference between Ireland and UK for toiletries, and surprised there isn't more outrage. A L'Oréal roll-on deodorant is 100% more here. Would be fascinated to hear the justification for that. Apart from profiteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

That all sounds like extra bother. Who could be arsed?

• Advertisement

You can get the L'Oreal for the same price here £1.37 in Superdrug click&collect

Advertisement