Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭scrotist

Jesus we are getting ridden left right and centre with this new bottle return scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Neither of them are real coffee, you're getting robbed no matter what price you pay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah I know theyre both instant. Big price difference though.

We have a delonghi bean grinding machine / milk frother also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Lidl are running an ad campaign saying how they've lowered the price of 100's of products. I think they're being deceptive. They've got red labels on the products in store that have been reduced.

But what about all the products that they've increased in price? I'd like to see blue labels on them. Of course they wouldn't do that.

There's a cup-a-soup I regularly buy that stands out to me, I noticed it's gone from 65¢ to 89¢ now in one go, that's a 37% increase. Yet they boast about knocking a few measley cents off other products.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yes i think i seen the advertiement, they stole a specific part of a song but cut the song at the right moment so you don't get to hear the words that come with the song, and they've looped it to play over and over again. The song/music is from a song called "dee light - groove is in the heart". Also they have actually lowered the price of 100s of products, and thats when the products are about to expire lmao. They have like a 30% off sticker sometimes, or something else marked off with pen stuck on it.

Tesco also do something simular but misleading with their aldi price match gimmick, they only match prices up to aldi's when aldi has the same (or simular) product more dear'er than tesco, tesco bump up their price so that it matches the price of what aldi are selling it for. really gets on my nerves and is so grossly misleading. I have NEVER once seen tesco price match downwards to sell something as cheap as aldi sells something, they are very selective with this, and only price match when its in tescos own favor to justify an increase, while acting like they're doing the clueless shopper a favor.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭scrotist

Have regular cartons of juice gone up in price? Like tetra Pak style cartons.

I'm not 100% sure but I think my usual Aldi juice went from 1.59 to 1.99 in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭jj880

Same as that. Reject slot was completely filled with all kinds of sh!te by noon in Aldi Letterkenny last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,613 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Deub

I saw the Dunnes store orange juice going up by 20c (2.49€ now) few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Really fed up with the price increases on Diet Coke and also the lack of availability.

I placed an online order with Tesco on Saturday, for delivery Wednesday. Absolutely no diet coke for sale in cans or bottles. I've checked every day since to see can I add them and finally today they're available:

12 cans for Clubcard price of €9.75 (plus deposit) - full price €13.50 (plus deposit), or

18 cans for €17 (plus deposit).

What happened to 24 cans?? Going back through my previous orders it had been 24 cans for €18 full price for a long time right up to my last order in January - regularly available at €10 Clubcard price including in January.

Comparing the old full price to the current best Clubcard price, that's an increase from 75c to 81.25c per can or over 8%.

Just discovered 2 more increases, these deep riverrock 1.5litre were x2 for €2 for ages, now they are x2 for €2.40 with clubcard and a 25c deposit on both, becoming €2.90 for x2

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/315857944

But what they've done with mi-wadi is even far more disguisting. was x2 for €3, now x2 for 4.50 + 50 cent total deposit = €5 total

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/315845866

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭eddieoregan

Lidl Rivercote Wheat Crackers 170g, were €1.29, now €1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

Brennan's baked in house loaf (Lidl), was 2.49 went up to 2.59 about 2 weeks ago

found this blatant rip-off this morning. i posted this on the thread a few posts back: coco cola x2 2 litre for 4.50+50cent deposit = €5

it's gone up even further now. €7 euro total price! this is insane. they added an extra 2 quid for nothing. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/315469891

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tesco seem to have lost the plot since the recycling deposit has come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

Expect more supermarkets to cash in before the recycling scheme becomes too embedded and before too many people cop on to the "new" price ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Volvic 1.5 flavour water gone up 20c in Tesco to €2 20 add the 25c deposit that's €2.45 a bottle.

Dunnes charging deposit for non return stamped items in 500ml bottle water and 4 pack of monster energy cans seen in three different stores yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some stock is eligible for a deposit but doesn't have the Re-turn logo.

There is a barcode checker on the Re-turn website which will tell you whether the deposit will be recoverable.

If it is not Dunnes has charged you in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

Is it the retailers or the suppliers/producers that are upping the prices, I wonder?

Producers of drinks, etc, now have to print a label specifically for this country, so that it meets the return requirement.

We're a small market, so this change will cost...and as ever, costs get passed onto the consumer!

• Advertisement

How will this work for imported cans of beer?

I suppose with it being the great little country it is retailers will just stop stocking them. Narrowing the selection again.

This is a disaster.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Multi-country labels/barcodes can be used, as long as the Re-turn logo is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought I read something to the effect that such multi-country registrations are a higher fee for the Re-turn scheme, so for some smaller producers it may not be worth their while.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's a higher fee if you're placing over a certain amount on the market annually due to the risk of fraud. So there won't be an extra cost applied to craft/niche products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

Treasure Island

Treasure Ireland.

I absolutely advocate for getting up the north every 3 months or so and stocking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Tesco are seriously taking the piss.

They upped a 2 litre bottle of Sprite No Sugar by 0.30c to €3.25 before the deposit was added on. Now making a single bottle €3.50!

They upped a 1 litre bottle of their own brand lemon and lime still water by 0.04c - before deposit - and are charging 25c deposit for the bottle as well, (is 25c the correct deposit for a 1 litre bottle? I thought anything under 2 litres was 15c)

As for their club carddeals, anything that was €2 as part of a clubcard deal is now €2.25 or €2.50.

(as a matter of interest, why are different flavours different prices? That's also new).

And they try to tell us inflation is coming down. 🤬

Post edited by Ezeoul on

Advertisement