Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Toothpaste, mouthwash and vitamins have been a stupid price in Dunnes and Tesco for a few years now. Much more reasonable in Aldi or Lidl.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Even Boots own brand, much better value including shampoo, conditioner - such good value has a tendency to go out of stock alas.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea they’ll have the 250 g pack not on offer mixed in with the 200 g. Only notice it if and when you check your receipts. You need to be like hawk eye with their “offers”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

SuperValu have totally lost the plot recently.

For instance, bags of logs for the 🔥.

All winter they have been charging €4.99 per bag in my local whereas Lidl were €5.99.

It's a small town and both shops are equidistant for most people. SV had sold out by 4pm most days as a € is a good saving and we would buy our other bits n' pieces while we were there.

A couple of weeks ago Lidl dropped their price to €5.49.

Now, any business with a bit of cop on would at least look at their margins and think is there any way they could maybe knock ten or twenty cent off their price and hopefully keep the regular custom.... But no, not SuperValu 🙄. Two days later they INCREASED the price of their logs to €5.25 making the difference between them and Lidl negligible.

With parking much handier all the log buyers have moved to Lidl and SV have only had to restock once in the last two weeks as opposed to every day previously.

Never has the phrase "shooting themselves in the foot" been so apt.

I actually hate super valu- they are the most miserable cynically run company in my opinion- their model is geared towards screwing the last cent out of you rather than their “value” which is a complete misnomer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks everyone for the special offers on toothpaste.

I never noticed the price because we are very fussy about the auld toothpaste so the one we like it just gets thrown into the trolley.

Remember though it's XL so I'm sure it will last me for years!

I only buy it on offer or in the euro shops or up north sometimes. Can be very pricey if paying full whack, though there’s usually something on offer. If not I shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭crayon80

Doesn't anyone just buy the cheapest own brand ? Does it really make a difference unless you particularly love the flavour of ccolgate or need sensitive stuff?

Cheapest own brands were 69- 79c for ages and jumped to €1.50 everywhere. I bought it in Tescos for €1.15 last week. That's not on website anymore and prices are up again . The Cheapest now is a pro sensitive one for €1.30. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/276919314

Still less expensive than branded unless amazon has better value

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm wary of cheaper toothpastes, teeth don't grow back!

I know it's probably all in my head (pardon the pun🦷) but I can't get past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes get what you want because you aren't going to save a lot anyway.

How long does a tube last you ?

Two months maybe more ?

So what if you save two euro over that long it's not worth using something you don't like.

The real price watching needs to be on stuff you spend a lot on every week.

(obviously if you are buying for a house full of kids the economics are different)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

You misquoted yourself there.Should have said "but I can't get paste it" I travel to a lot of countries outside the EU.Could not believe the price of toothpaste here in the last 3 months.Had to eyeball the shelf labels thinking toothpaste was on the wrong shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

An ad for Tesco popped up on my feed for Lyon’s tea and I remembered a post here about shrinkflation so I just checked. The 500g box reduced to 464g still has 160 tea bags in it. I’m not a Lyon’s man myself but is the box lighter or are the tea bag’s smaller?? Anyone confirm either or both scenarios??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭zell12

less tea in the teabags.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭jj880

I get Aldi bog roll. Still 2.29 for 9 rolls which hasn't increased in years so fair play to them. But the pack I got last week has no breaks in the sheets. All of them are 2 continuous sheets which have to be ripped. Not a major issue but its getting a bit mad all the nonsense that's going on to cut corners with products and reduce costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I will let everyone here decide if this is a rip off or not.

Following finding a piece of metal in a Lidl chicken product i had to send pics of batch number etc.

It was then i noticed it was Polish Chicken. AFAIK they used to use Irish Chicken.

Been checking the packs in Aldi lately and notice Chinese and Thai chicken being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Bit into something hard there recently in ALDI chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

My understanding is that Ireland consumes far more chicken than it produces, so it is inevitable that imported chicken will be a big part of the market - so unsurprising to see it on the shelves.

Whereas we produce far more beef than we consume, so we export, and there is no need for imported beef to be any significant part of our supermarket shelves.

My main concern would be around clear labelling of country of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It used to be that the imported chicken primarily got used in food service and hence most people never noticed (or asked) about country of origin.

Presumably there's been sufficient change in consumption patterns that means that the Asian/South American/otherwise imported product is making it to retail. I'd noticed Chinese origin chicken goujons fairly recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Greyian

I can remember seeing drumsticks/wings/thighs etc from Thailand, going back over a decade at least.

I can't recall seeing an non-Irish whole bird at any time (and I am not seeing any in the present either)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I got a 24 pack of the Saxon Softest Premium in Aldi yesterday, which I noticed was reduced in price this week from €8.49 to €7.99.

I'll report back any reduction in quality once the pack is opened!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Tesco Extra Value toothpaste was great. For grouting tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭bmc58

For many of these items posted the old and true saying comes to mind, "you pay peanuts you get monkeys".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All the fresh meat that I buy I clearly labelled.

A lot of it even shows the name of the farm it came from.

When it comes to processed meat though you have to look a little more closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah I've no problem with chicken, beef etc but I aslo only buy fresh meat.

In the end I thanfully got the toothpaste on special, no way was I paying full price but we won't change our toothpaste, we are too fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Yeah, bit like the "fools and their money are soon parted" one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

The EU meat will surely be rising in price with the new rules this week

Estimates of 30% increase in prices .

Presumably more imports from farther afield

Advertisement