Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Is that the boxeor just packets of biscuits cheers 🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Svalu are notorious for that

Special offer on something 500g

Shelf stacked with same product 600g

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭chrisd2019

A lot of Lidl app offers are like this, need to check the item number at the bottom of the offer page against that on the display sticker. Of course Lidl have made this more difficult with their micro text on labels! Am not slow myself to refuse an item at the till if the computer says no!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

The tins, they were flying off the shelves when i was in there this afternoon. 6 tins per customer. In fact the chocolate kimberleys were completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭crayon80

Today's.

Potatoes are 4kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Lidl gone everybit as bad as tesco or supervalu.

There is a market for a new discount retailer. Because neither lidl or aldi provide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,308 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Tesco Bicarbonate Soda 200g was ?? now €1.50, Tesco UK says 65p, yet Aldi is 59c for same product

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely- they’ve taken all the bad habits of the old ones- dunnes are the best retailer in my opinion- they’re very honest on pricing, I never encounter “mistakes” on the bill and seem in tune with what people want.

We badly need a big retailer like say Asda to come in and put the skids under them all. They’re all far too cozy and in time with each other. Musgraves would do anything anti customer if they thought they could get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Asda are in financial difficulties and are exceptionally unlikely to enter the market if they even survive

Basically they were bought out with borrowing secured against the company, which almost never has a positive outcome. The owners have just sold their KFC outlets to raise cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Didn’t know Asda were in trouble, I would have thought being part of Walmart meant they had a massive global presence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They aren't anymore and that's the problem

They were sold to the owner of Euro Garages, a petrol station (and formerly KFC) chain; who borrowed all the money to buy it against the companies books.

Their debts and lease liabilities are over 7 billion Sterling; and their profits have collapsed. They are in severe trouble.

It would have to be another EU discounter like Netto or Penny; but Netto have failed twice in the most similar retail market to here - the UK - so would likely stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

You didn't mention that Lidl shows the full price for each tin in the shelf.No reference to app pricing.Maybe they'll eventually label the shelves-wouldn't take much effort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Heads up if you have a Dunnes Order in for Click an Collect or Delivery this week...

I just checked my online basket for collection on 29th Dec and it appears all the deals that were originally due to expire on 1st January have already been cancelled.

I had 2lt bottles of Sprite Zero in my basket @ €2 each (full price €2.95) and chicken burgers @ €5 down (full price €9.99) - both offers originally due to expire on 1st January.

Yet both are now back to full price, and the deal ended 4 days early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i just stopped doing big online shops.

you never get everything you ordered and if you allow substutions they are what i would call 'inexperienced' attempts- like something a teenager would guess at. and if you dont allow substutions, then you are missing key items and have to go to the shops yourself anyway.

It wasnt price or delivery issues for me. Just frustrated at never getting whati ordered.

I have online grocery shopping down to a fine art at this stage!

I don't allow random substitutions with either Tesco or Dunnes, I specify in the shoppers notes either "no substitution" or what I will accept.

The only one I get frustrated at are Aldi, as they don't allow shoppers notes, and yet they are the only ones still charging for C&C!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Doesn't the online stuff come from the front of the shelf

Like just before sell by

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I raised the issue of the size of the text instore a few weeks back. In fairness the staff member agreed with me.

The cost per kilo or Litre is tiny, yet there is loads of white space on the label to accommodate larger pt size. It is clearly a conscious decision to reduce legibility of this mandatory pricing information, yet still claim to be compliant on retail pricing regulation.

There is simply no need for text to be so small. Many people just cannot read the small print.

Also the special Lidl plus labels are black or text or text reversed out in white from red background. For some people with colour perception issues this will be difficult to read.

I feel a message to Lidl head office in the new year is warranted and to consumer affairs about the matter.

As far as I know it comes from the storage, not off the shelf, but I'm not sure.

I rarely have a problem with expiry dates. I just put in a note "short expiry date will be returned".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tesco I think comes from storage. When I used it for c+c dates were decent enough.

In Supervalu I think some of it comes from shelves as I see staff members filling the packing crates when Im walking around the store.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I work for one of the posh supermarkets in Dublin. I'm in the office so not really involved in pricing but I see a lot of prices being pushed up by my colleagues without proper analysis being the route cause. Our in house food has suffered the highest increases. There is is culture in our shop to charge more now and when you look at the margins they are far too high. I think the reason it's been done is because our staff are reading and hearing about inflation in the media. If you look at Tesco who I think are actually the best value supermarket at the moment with their clubcard prices, a lot of the price increases are being reversed and retailers are being forced to look at their pricing more closely again. I will say that suppliers pushed their prices up considerably in 2023 but for every overpriced product out there, there is always a better priced alternative available to the buyer. In my opinion, the posh artisan supermarkets, including the company I work for need to get a handle on pricing because in a lot of cases it's gotten out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭dasa29

I normally am not in Dunne's much but when I was in there recently I noticed the following,

DUNNES STORES 2 EXTRA MATURED IRISH BEEF SIRLOIN STEAKS 400G €5.49,

Now when did they change the size of the steaks and price as they had been 440g for €5.99 for years.

In Lidl and Aldi 2 Sirloin Steaks are still 440g at €5.49 (on offer in Aldi at the moment for €4.99)

Tesco 2 Sirloin Steaks 513g for €6.50 (had been €5 till to the last few months of 2022)

Supervalu 2 Sirloin Steaks 454g €6.29.

Dunnes extra virgin Olive oil 3.79 from 3.5 last week !! And they say inflation is easing

yeah but they had already increased price from 3.25 to 3.5 after this article 😂😂😂..other supermarkets are stable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Another sneaky one one from Unilever

The large box of Lyons tea bags used to have 240 tea bags

I see the stock in Tesco is now 210 tea bags

A 12.5% reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭babyducklings1

A lot of shrinkflation these days. Noticed it in something recently but can’t remember what.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,308 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The 240 teabags were 750g now 696g 609g, 160 teabags were 500g now 464g, 80 teabags 250g now 232g, 40 teabags 125g now 116g

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, they do absolutely make it difficult to see unit prices. It's not unusual to find my on my knees at a lower shelf, with glasses off, squinting to get the small print, or taking a photo on my phone and zooming in there. Shouldn't have to be doing either of course.

Thanks, interesting to see the thought processes on the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Here's another version of Mondelez's version of shrinkflation.

A bit like Tinder for choc bars!

How thin can we apply chocolate?

Cadburys's Timeout

The package image:

The product:

" You look nothing like your photo!!"

Advertisement