Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 2022-2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

This game is a very good standard, i saw some UTC games with Welsh sides with low visible quality

Brilliant game of rugby. Terenure were outstanding.

The placekicking performance from Caolan Dooley was as good as I’ve seen in the Aviva in years.

Jordan Coughlan, Connall Boomer off the bench, Alan Bennie, Colm de Buitlear and Adam Legrue all outstanding. They looked brilliantly coached, their defensive organisation was just excellent.

The big names and Academy players etc on the Clontarf side were almost all very underwhelming. King, Soroka and Deeny scored tries (King’s finish was outrageous) but all three had poor games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

One of the Terenure lads stuck the knife into academy leinster fellas in a post match interview, bit cheap

In fairness, the way academy players are made available is a bit of a joke...I know the cookies last year had 5 games on the bounce with a settled team and then loss 3-4 guys and get 2 other guys so you have to reshuffle the side and accommodate the incoming academy players...

It's not good the the team and with rugby with a sport that is build off lots of systems re set pieces, defensive and offence, and to great degree than most other field sports

In fairness, the way academy players are made available is a bit of a joke...I know the cookies last year had 5 games on the bounce with a settled team and then loss 3-4 guys and get 2 other guys so you have to reshuffle the side and accommodate the incoming academy players...

It's not good the the team and with rugby with a sport that is build off lots of systems re set pieces, defensive and offence, and to great degree than most other field sports

• Advertisement

Yeah; it was very obvious today Terenure were the more settled and far more hungry side.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

Didnt hear the attendance at the game. We were shoutin too loudly. Did anyone get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭RuPi

Cian Tracey posted it was 8,642.

Was a fantastic final, Terenure thoroughly deserving, they have a good mix of Nure lads, ex pros and top club players brought in from elsewhere plus an excellent coaching ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Excellent game of rugby. After the 1st 20 minutes I thought Clontarf would walk it. They were completely dominant in the scrum and Terenure's lineout was a mess. Nure kept doing their thing though, kept the scoreboard ticking, and the intercept and chip and chase went their way. 2nd half they completely dominated, bar the scrums. Dooley's kicking was outstanding.

Well done to Terenure. The 1st of many more I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭luke9311

Wierd game if i say so myself (albeit it exciting at the same time) - tarf dominated upfront first half and i thought it was there day too specially when your scrums and lineouts go your way and then second half and maybe last 5-10mins of the first half nure just blitzed it there backs in particular were outstanding and dooley.

Congrats nure on your first title.... more delighted tbh for your lads that have done the hard work for the club if seen over the years and been with you over the years like brewer and moggy behind the scenes.

atmosphere if i say so also was electric... been a while i think if been to an ail final and there was 8k+ in attendance and nure fans singing zombie just incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Yessssssssss..... what a **** day!

I love Caolan Dooley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Only saw bits of it and was there but dont think the comparison with URC is right

One of the best atmospheres ive been in the ground for..

Would love to see more club games in Aviva. Youths 16s/18s all ireland finals as curtain raisers to this 1A final would be class. Was done on a few occasions before..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Well done Terenure. Slow start but in the end really well deserved. Great colour and atmosphere. Boomer was excellent when he came on.

Post edited by Stainalert on

Yeah definately one of the best finals i've been to over the years for atmosphere and all that comes with it and ive been in a few when my own club lansdowne were there but i dont recall attendance been as big as yesterdays at any of our finals..... i cant remember if theres a final say on it or not maybe someone else in this thread know better than me, are the finals going forward staying in aviva? i know there was talks be it amongst club supporters or irfu of moving it to donnybrook? but dont know if thats just people gossiping or was that actually a real consideration at one point? i personally love to see all of the 1a finals in aviva as opposed to donnybrook tbh

Think it was only mentioned here/social media that maybe they should look to move finals out of aviva.

Theyre staying in Aviva afaik and id want clubs to protest if there were moves to get game out of the aviva when in fact we should be looking for more all ireland club finals to be played in the aviva on the main pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In situations where 2 teams from Limerick or Belfast team make it to the final the idea of Thomond or Ravenhill should be looked at as options

But aside from that Landsdowne definitely

• Advertisement

I totally disagree. Aviva should always be AIL final Venue. Use thomond, ravenhill for provincial senior cup finals but national league finals should be in national stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Fantastic final and a great occassion

Obviously went better than our wildest dreams, and two fantastic days craic, but don't think I've day three in me!

Game should always be in the Aviva, just feels important then

Senior season not finished yet.

Nenagh play Shannon on Thursday in this seasons Limerick Charity Cup final. In Nenagh

Ballynahinch won Ulster senior cup beating Queens 32-15

https://ulster.rugby/content/bank-of-ireland-senior-cup-final-ballynahinch-32-15-qub

Sounds great and all and there was a fantastic crowd there when 2 Dublin teams faced off against each other, but put 2 teams from outside dublin in there and there will be no crowd at all

Not if you market it well, sell it to the clubs and help them bring people to the grounds. work with sponsors and get people up via bus/train or whatever.

The national club finals should be played in the national stadium just like the FAI cup finals are in the aviva and in the GAA you have all ireland junior and senior club finals in croke park. there has been good crowds at finals with con involved.

If you dont want the AIL division 1 final in the national rugby stadium do you want any club games played there?

Of course, the most recent one a good example as it contained 2 Dublin teams

But you are missing the point. The national finals should be played in the national stadium. Not moved around stadiums because of who's playing

you ignored my question if not the biggest club game of the year what club games should be played in rugbys national stadium?

Is there a particular reason behind this aside from tradition?

To answer your question Lansdowne would be used in my in theorist world where

1. When 2 teams from outside of Limerick and Belfast are in the final

2. Lansdowne home games

3. Any club game that requires the extra capacity

But why would you move the national club final from the national stadium simply because 2 Limerick clubs are involved

Did it affect crowds in past?

It isnt about tradition its about promoting the game more. we should be playing more national finals in rugbys national stadium. The atmosphere was class on Sunday. We should try build on that regardless of who plays in the final. Bring back curtain raisers for the 1A final be it other AIL division playoffs or the youths under 16/18 all ireland finals.

What reasoning do you have to move these potential finals outside of the national stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

The players would always want to play in lansdowne, it is the showpiece of the amateur game after all.

Advertisement