Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options
  • 05-06-2022 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

This is non Soccer related as I want to find out why a Cult like Following has surrounded Stephen Kenny. It seems like no matter what he does his "cult" will defend him to the death. Which part of Society are these people from ? Is this a Ireland version of QAnon ?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I really do hope we start winning soon, if we don’t we’ll just end up with another “long ball” merchant manager grinding out 1-1 draws against weaker opposition.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

thats a very roundabout way of saying kennys not doing his job isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The result wasn’t great yesterday but he’s had the side playing football again. That’s nice to see.

If he had a decent creative midfielder and a striker on form there wouldn’t be any questions hanging over the guy.

Certainly wouldn’t be in a hurry to replace him with Steve Bruce or Chris Hughton.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ladibai

Much like the QAnon cult in America these people are in denial of reality and get very angry when their leader is questioned. I was thinking if these people are some how related by social standing ? Are they excluded people and this bring them together for a purpose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,950 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Honestly he bores me to death, I feel he's chosen the wrong career, could have been an excellent artist with an astonishing ability to Draw.

I laugh when I hear people defending him saying the FAI is Broke as if that makes hiring him acceptable , Kenny is earning half a Million Euro a year and for what, supervising Training Sessions essentially.

I'll admit to not knowing much about Soccer but I know BS went I see and hear it.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Woeful record. No real evidence of progress. Can't understand the support he is getting. Boggles the mind. Get Chris Hughton ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

... as distinct from losing 0-1 to weaker opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

problem with Kenny is that he’s a bit of a one trick pony…give him good players he’ll do well..

when I used to go watch his Bohemians side, a very successful side…he had the knack of identifying and acquiring by league standards two excellent players in every position..one guy got injured a player of similar level and ability stepped in and stepped up…. especially in the attacking midfield, forwards…he seemed to have an in-depth understanding of the good players in other clubs… and not shy about recruiting them…saying that he did inherit Roddy Collins double winning side.

now he’s in charge of a bunch of also rans, and it being international.. he can’t get on the phone to X club and wrangle a deal or two.

he just has to work with what he’s given… which given the competition, isn’t much so….

one thing getting the best out of and results out of quality players in the LOI but simply at international level and not having talent comparative to the higher echelons of opposition…

that said his Ireland record is shambolic…

Games : 24

Won : 6

Draw : 10

Lost : 8

win % : 25%

On the back of a record of winning once every four games he’s just been given a new contract…

his style of playing is outdated as are his views on the game.

The LOI cultists have for years been championing LOI players in the international squad, LOI managers been given a chance too… and here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭pgj2015

How do you explain how he did so well in Europe with Dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

He is working in a “results business”, and his team’s results have been appalling. He is extremely lucky to still be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,950 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Did I hear Kenny said, Ireland didn't deserve to loose against Armenia 😳 mother of God, is that an excuse or justification for such an appalling performance 🤔

How anyone has tolerated this continuous spoofing is beggars belief.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

As someone with only a passing interest in it,the results are terrible....

but at least its somewhat watchable,only on odd time,unlike rugby,which is awlful and perplexing in level its forced on people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

I haven’t watched rugby in months.

You need to work on your self-control.

You don’t understand the interest in a sport where Ireland are one of the best teams in the world, as recently as 2019 were ranked as the top team, where the National stadium for that sport is sold out for most games against good teams, where one of our club teams have just contested the continental final?

Are you trolling or just an eejit?

In portion to its playing numbers,its saturation levels of coverage imo

Dunno why they dont let it off to sky and stop forcing it on people on free to air

So you have to play it to be interested in it? You are not required to watch it when it is on TV.

I never boxed, but I’m very proud of the achievements of our boxers and watch their fights, especially Katie Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Kenny is still trading on his past successes. But what's left in the bank is getting thin. Next few results may be telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The result wasn’t great yesterday but he’s had the side playing football again. That’s nice to see.

There you go, that's an example of the cult right there.

The public prefer results, otherwise they become disinterested

• Subscribers Posts: 41,167 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Showing a huge sense of inferiority there.

Ireland are very competitive in rugby at both club and international level.

Ireland test games are continously among the most watched on FTA year on year.... So not exactly "forced on" people now is it

In Soccer we have a derisory club league and haven't been a force internationally for 30 years.

Which sport do you think the average sports fan / ban wagon jumper likes to watch?

On the Stephen Kenny issue, which is of course the topic here (NOT RUGBY) he had the team playing half decent watchable football (his philosophy) but alas the players he has to work with aren't exactly cream of the crop. What he would give to have a creative player in midfield a la holohan or Reid who could unlock a defense. The guys he has are game but just not at the required level.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

A Phoenix park Sunday league manager, would be out of his depth in English third division, gets handed Ireland manager job in a last ditch attempt by Delaney to hold onto his job, we have now regressed to the standard of Latvia and Lithuania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Bring back Brian Kerr, he never got a proper go the first time round.😀

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Ireland has never been a force in world football. Ever. We had a bit of successl like some countries get every now and then(Iceland in 2016, Czech Republic mid 1990/2000's, Wales now) but a force we were not. We got to a World Cup Quarter final as have Ghana, USA, Ukraine over the years, can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I'm reminded of a comment I read elsewhere by someone without a vested interest

'That Irish manager looks like a dodgy Catholic priest'

😆

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

There’s still a couple tiers to plummet. They may well get there, in the meantime with regards the “match last night” best claim you didn’t see it. No sir *whistles* not meee I had more pressing matters to attend 🥴 honestly. At my age? Best not get too invested it’s some time now since we’ve been squeezed out of prominent positions in England by the foreign invasion and just like junior will struggle keep up with the absolute factory belt of African lads at the track and field we can’t get a shoe-in there anymore either

As for the gold (leaf?) crested rugger lads with the backing of Bank of Ireland I see they were back to running in ten or so tries! Mere days after failing to ever threaten one where there was a trophy on the line! Hyup… finals not a word Irish rugby takes too kindly to.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

In rugby we play a bunch of hyped up meaningless friendlies, do half decent in 6 nations, and are found out during world cups every few years, an absolute masterclass in marketing means it becomes the most watched sport in this country.

Grass roots football in Ireland has failed to produce even half decent International footballers, and the LOI should carry a large portion of the blame. And yet what do we do? Hand the International job to a manager who wouldnt even be considered for a position as manager of Accrington Stanley.

Before kenny took over we were regularly challenging for Euro & World cup qualifications, now where are we? The bottom of the barrel, struggling to get results against teams we would usually have beaten 4 or 5 nil.

How anybody can get behind this man is delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

He's mainly gotten the job off the back of intense frustration regarding our approach against the Georgias of the world under previous managers, where we would toil for 90 minutes and get a narrow win, or at worst, a draw.

It was decided that these players needed the freedom to express themselves, that they were being held back by our previous managers. A point which Kenny himself continually reinforced on his press junkets upon being appointed.

It was decided that if the players were allowed to express themselves that we would be beating these teams all the time and beating them well. What a crock of sh*t that turned out to be.

What has transpired since, is that Kenny has introduced a style of football that largely amounts to sterile possession. Whatever his philosophy is supposed to be is a complete failure at this point given he has 2 competitve wins in 16. He has also robbed us of being hard to beat - we now are getting beaten regularly by teams ranked below us. Virtually unheard of before.

He has capped a few players, some of whom would clearly have broken through anyway - like obviously Nathan Collins and Dara O'Shea were going to break into the National Team. One or two probably wouldn't have gotten picked without him, like Jamie McGrath - but he isn't in squads anymore anyway.

At this point the Irish supporters need to decide whether passing the ball around the back more, is more important than being competitive in qualification groups. I know which one matters more to me.

Get him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I vote for possession football and building an ethos of playing football the way it should be played. If and when standout players appear they will be much better utilised in this kind of team. Kenny may not be in charge but we need to move onto a similar thinking manager not regress.

I for one could care less about scraping qualification once a decade over not qualifying in that decade. Especially when qualifying is followed by nil poi in the group and the only highlights are of "the best fans in the world" changing tires or singing lullabies to infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Gusser09

His team selection is wrong. Lack of ideas, no instensity and excuses. Will keane? Kelleher hasnt played this year and he installs him as number 1? Just to much to mention to be honest

People can deride bruce, hughton etc all they want. But those lads have operated at the highest level. Kenny was a failure at Dunfermline.

Its going to be a long road until kenny goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Best summation of the situation. Sterile possession hits the nail on the head perfectly. It's slow and drab and when it matters we resort to just punting the ball into the box aimlessly. TBH, Kenny is his own worst enemy, never sell yourself on your ideology because you become too wedded t, just come in and do what you have to do. Let the performances speak for themselves, Kenny speaks about football like some punter calling in to Talk Sport demanding that Steve Bruce get the sack so we can get back to playing the (insert football team) way on the deck. It seems like such a British obsession as well. Other countries just play a certain way because well that's how you play football but 'passing football' seems to have taken on this sort of mystique in British, and by extension, Irish football culture.

The team is incredibly bad right now though. The midfield is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

The last time we qualified for an international tournament we qualified from the group. Infact 4 out of the last 5 times we have qualified for an international tournament we qualified from the group.

The tournament you are waffling about, Euro 2016 - considering your reference to singing lullabies, was a tournament where we qualified from the group with 4 points, and were narrowly beaten by eventual finalists and home nation France, in a match where we were massively outnumbered in the stadium, about 95 percent French to 5 percent Irish (I know because I was there). We more than acquited ourselves well. Such utter, utter nonsense you've talked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement