Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

Some thoughts after my own interview.

I got my interview date 6 days after the expression of interest message.

You will be sent familiarisation information when you receive your interview date. This will list the competencies that are required for the role and give some tips to help you prepare.

Use the STAR technique to prepare at least two examples on each competency - if the panel feel you have overprepared one or it doesn't quite hit the spot they might ask for a second. All your previous experience is relevant to these competencies, you just need to believe that and sell it to them. The interview moves very fast and the panel will interrupt you. The interview is 40-45 minutes long and the panel want you to succeed. They will interrupt to guide you or bring you back on track.

Throughout the interview, you will be told what competency is being assessed, there's no guessing, so know what your examples relate to, but also be ready to use the example for another competency!

Don't rush into an answer, take a sip of water while you think. Ask the interviewer to repeat the question if you need a second to think or if you're not fully sure what they mean.

Use 'I' as much as possible, not 'we'. In my interview they explained the importance of that at the beginning. Do not be modest.

Some excellent advise here from PAS themselves:

Names of panel members will be sent to you in advance. Look them up, read about their backgrounds. You might be able to use that info to connect with them during the interview.

Good advice in this thread too: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058227180/the-questions-you-might-get-asked-at-eo-heo-thread-for-the-civil-service/p1

Remember, the panel want you to achieve, listen to what they are saying, they are not trying to trick you.

Finally, I would recommend that you study the CS itself. Know the CS career path so you know who is above and below you. Look at the renewal plan. Know some departments. Know the EO role. Know the CS values. Can you refer to these in some way in a competency/in the interview. Being able to refer to this type of info will convince the panel that you want this job, that you are enthusiastic about the CS, and they want you to be enthusiastic about it. In my case I felt this was especially important because my move to the CS from my current career makes no sense to most people. And the panel referred to this right after introducing themselves! Be ready to explain why you want the job.

I hope this is helpful and best of luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭chillmad

I was 26 on the interdepartmental, but judging by this have been called on the Open Comp at 59 for Expression Of Interest to Interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AhAnne

Anyone know how may called on open Dublin in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭WednesdayGirl

I agree poltort2, after Xmas will surely see good movement. I know someone that work in DOE and they reckon Jan/Feb will show good moves in Westmeath......hopefully so

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PurleStar

Hello everyone,

Just received my email from PAS stating I'm under consideration for a position in waterford and looking for the pre-clearence documents and I have a few questions

* how long after pre-clearence does it take for an offer of an actual position?

* I haven't told current employer I've applied, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this until I was handing in my notice, is it OK to give HR as a reference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭furrybones

It can take a few weeks from when you get your assigned department to being called by HR. If you're currently in the civil service you would give HR as a reference, as they deal with all of that and your manager wouldn't be told.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭RichPersonInsideAPoor

Do you know how many were in batch 1? I still have my original OOM so I doubt I’ll be called for interview but I’d like to know which batch I’m possibly in…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

got the clearance email for a place in wexford. I currently am a CO and have been for 2 years. 2 questions

1) I presume I don't have to fill out the garda vetting form as I am already in the service.

2) in references do I provide the info of my heo's that I served under or do I provide info of HR. if its hr does anyone know the correct email address for agriculture.

sorry about this but I ended up in hospital yesterday and will have to get my son to fill in forms for me as I'm in isolation.

Thanks, I'm really not expecting to hear any more till Jan.

I'm not in CS currently and I'm only in my current role a short time, so it's hard to even ask about a reference

Sorry @RichPersonInsideAPoor

I don't know how many were in batch 1. My original OOM was 31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭acawarrior

What department did you get offered? Open or inter?

open. but it says after garda vetting point " This is not required if you currently work in the Civil Service."

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭loupad

Hi All, I'm currently on point 7 of the co scale will I move to point 2 or 3 of the EO scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 amo22

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭loupad

Thank you that's brilliant 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Cazita

Hi thanks for replying but I’m on the Meath panel not the Westmeath. I’ve 2 numbers 44 and I think 22

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

For those interested.

OOM for Dublin : Open stream 477

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shkyboy123

I gave my EOI last on the 9th but still have not received my interview date, is this normal? just trying to get an idea of when it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 climber123

Anyone have any experience or heard of what being an EO in social protection would be like? I think I have a high probability of being placed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Iggy1986

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

No, I emailed PAS last week looking for an update on numbers called for Dublin open panel.

I got assigned to housing today. anyone have any experience in this dept.

do you know if they offer blended working and flexi time .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭loser2k12

A relative of mine works in Housing and yes they work from home most of the time. Unsure about Flexi though but I'm presuming yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Hi yes we have blended working 3 or 2 days wfh depending on business needs. The application is in it early phases so some are still in a transitional period.

Flexi is back its a blessing. If you have any questions you can flick me a pm and I'll try answer what I know

• Registered Users Posts: 7 truespark

Hi just wondering could you confirm that is for the EO Dublin open comp? Have you been called to interview yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ConorL76

Does anyone know how many departments offer the shorter working year scheme?

I understand you have to be off probation, but roughly how many departments can you avail of this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

It’s open to all employees in all departments but it’s up to management to approve and you’re never guaranteed to have it approved , I’ve heard of some applicants being refused based on it potentially being detrimental to the section

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ConorL76

Anyone know anything about upskilling opertunities in the civil service? Do they give you a list of colleges or are they not done in colleges?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭furrybones

There are many upskilling courses provided by the Civil Service through One Learning (CS Learning and Development centre), on a whole range of fields, and you would be actively encouraged to participate.

For courses not provided by the CS (undergrad/postgrad) there is also a refund of fees scheme that you can apply for. You can either pay the costs and get reimbursed, or, depending on the course/probation/etc, the training unit would pay the college upfront. The contract implications are that if you fail, or leave within 5 years, you are liable for the costs and have to pay it back.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Stranger Things

I have my interview. I am completing a masters until September, should be free to work full time though from May onwards. Will i mention this or say nothing. It’s not on my CV that I submitted in the summer?

Advertisement