Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship Dreamers Thread II: Hyper Adverts Retro Gaming Edition!!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Monolith have said it would be way too much work. The engine for Xenoblade X was created specifically for the WiiU architecture and takes full advantage of it so it would be a major engine rework and monolith just don't have the manpower.

Absolutely adored the game, the main story was naff but the world was just a blast to explore and it had a great combat system. The only issue is you get mechs way too late in the game and I was burned out before I finished the post game mega bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sold my wiiu about 2 years after it came out.

I actually won it in a text competition and it came with zombiU. Played that and I think a mario game and then sold it on.

Never felt like I missed out on much tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I picked up a Wii u free at a Christmas market and still in the boot of the car.

some day

Really have no idea of the actual worth of this lot. But looking for €23'000 for a collection, no description or list of games, about 200 blurry photos and then throwing this in at the end

"As I am a very busy person I’d really appreciate no time wasters looking to give me 5 quid for an uncommon Zelda game, in fact I won’t even answer the question, possibly a straight block situation. 

Thanks for reading, and if you are interested and serious and have big boys and girl’s money 💰, we can talk."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That reeks of "the other half is forcing me to sell but I'm gonna deliberately price myself out of the market."

Would be willing to bet those Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are fakes just from the label, not to mention the red flag of them being the only NTSC games in a PAL GBA collection. Even if they are gen, who doesn't post picture of their Pokemon GBA boards in 2023. It's absolute basic practice given the state of the GBA/DS Pokemon market and the absolute hell that is trying to navigate fakes, and that's without even getting into the price they're up for.

Edit: And the hits keep coming, can't even be arsed to give the collection a dust before slapping them up for 23k.

Post edited by Mr.Saturn on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

His responses make him come across as a complete pain in the hoop too

Edit: And I would also put the house on those pokemon games being fake

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭dav09

Yeah it's very strange, I'm not sure who would be in the market for buying a full 20k collection anyway, if at a push there's 2000 games there that averages out to probably 20 eur per game (since there's consoles there too) which seems steep for a job lot.

I remember recently looking up some expensive GBA carts and I remembered I had a few from when I was a kid, turned out they were fake! I thought I was in the money 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Has anyone in the history of adverts ever put up a big lot like that and actually sold it as one unit? Can't say I've ever seen it happen...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The analogue duo is up for preorder tomorrow.

I want one but I went to Ikea this month....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Seems like a nice machine, can't say it appeals to me though. Mister all the way, though if you're set on using physical media this is nice.

• Advertisement

I'm half tempted to put down a pre order and sell my turbo duo. I'd have to check if it still works. I got it in Japan and the caps were replaced by super potato. It's boxed and on great nick. I just can't check if it's working as it's being lorded over by sauron. Could end up actually saving money and heartache as I hear the turboduos are a pain to look after.

Master of the Universe

It does look very lovely but I am just not sold on the authenticity of FGPA consoles. Not yet anyway.

For me you either have the full original experience of original hardware and game or full digital experience via FGPA & digital games.

This 'hybrid car' type scenario where you've a digitally emulated FGPA console with real games seems a little bit pointless.

According to Analogue the FPGA emulation isn't emulation 😁

Master of the Universe

Haha! According to Analogue they're also solving world hunger and ending all wars. I've never seen such self aggrandising waffle!

Their use of the phrase 'no emulation' is incredibly disingenuous. FPGA is 100% emulation. It emulates systems at hardware level. That's LITERALLY the purpose of it 😁

Of course they know that too, they just want to make their FPGA chip in a console shaped box sound special.

I'd agree there (though I'd lean on fpga solutions being up there with original hardware if the core author does it properly.) Using real carts etc with an fpga based console is something I'm not sold on. Go with one or the other, or hell, both!

That whole stick of theirs is so obnoxious. NOT EMULATION....except it is, in hardware form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Everything about Analogue's marketing and advertising make me cringe so hard. And their "pay now, wait ? months" business model annoys the hell out of me.

I don't really mind the pay now wait months thing. They have been proven to deliver and for a small company it's an easy way to gauge production so you don't end up with cashflow issues. It's the unfortunate consequence of surviving in their business.

I usually just pay and when they show up it's a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

How much I mind depends on the wait time. I was happy enough with it when the original batch of SuperNTs went up for preorder as it was only a few months. Supply chain issues just stretched it out too much for me and made me think "How is this business model a good thing?

Master of the Universe

I've found a few times with those long wait time items, I've been really excited on the pre order date but then not really cared nearly as much when the item finally arrives as it's just been so long.

I remember considering buying the Analogue pocket a while back but the wait time was so long I might have died of old age by the time it arrived on my door step.

• Advertisement

Same thing happened to me with the Pocket. Plus, I had the realisation that despite it being a wonderful bit of kit, I'd STILL prefer to play on OG handhelds, with and without modern screens in them. I ended up cancelling the preorder, and don't regret it. Again tho, it's a wonderful piece of tech and they really done it the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Or....eh....you know......preorder it yourself if you're inclined to buy.

/shakes head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I do spent an inordinate amount of time wondering as to whom the target of grifts like this might be. What are the chances someone would be aware of something as niche as the Analogue Duo yet entirely ignorant as to ordering it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,679 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Yeah. Just chancers hoping for a drawn out fulfillment, ala the 'ABC' grouping of the Pocket, and/or for them to be sold out.

Unless Analogue have set a really ridiculously small level of units for production, which may or may not be the case (personally think it's not a huge number, but still needs to be enough to warrant the added production costs, optical drives etc etc.), it's a product that I would expect to have at least a lengthy a preorder presence as the latest run of the Mega SG and Super NT, which were available for a number of weeks post yet another 'final run'. Nowhere even close to the level of interest the Pocket commanded.

It's the nichest of niche 'mass produced' console platforms, and there is a danger of over-selling its appeal to many potential customers. Now, it looks a lovely unit and if it plays ball as it promises, it'd be a nice device for original media. Personally, I might have to bulk up my positively anaemic CD collection. Cost-wise, the additional 50 dollars is probably somewhat understandable, given how difficult it is for minor players to source FPGAs, extra components and production bandwidth, though the scandalous shipping charge I'm sure is making everyone interested do a double take. Still cheaper than what it cost for a prior SuperGrafx I got, but there is something unsavoury about paying so much, dont forget the duty, just to get an item in your hands.

Tough 2nd half of the year for this crowd now stating that Duos, Pockets, Mega SG and Super NT will ship this calendar year. Seems likely something will slip, not to mention those Pocket Cart Adaptors which I'm sure were mentioned to ship this year, but curiously have a 'coming 2023' as opposed to everything else's 'shipping 2023' stuff on the store. Still, eyes wide open when dealing with Analogue is the best advice....money up front, protracted delivery, pseudo-Apple/Samsung-style buzz marketing I can live with....lack of comms would be my personal bug-bear, plus those shipping charges aren't making many friends. To be fair to them though, while I've never had the pleasure, I've personally not heard of one case of them not refunding someone cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

This one has to be seen to be believed

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2115954175414454/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jaysus

Looks like a painted fireplace, obviously a labour of love for someone but... wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

You'd get a new PS5, TV and games for less than €2k and not have to house that monstrosity

Master of the Universe

I actually didn't think someone could make something more monstrous looking than the PS5. Impressive work!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'd have to wonder what the seller thinks they have.

I wonder if many people have been asked for their opinion and, in true emperors new clothes style, they said it looked fabulous.

I bit like when your child produces a picture of a horse from school, except it has six and a half legs, on the left side only, and when you remark what a wonderful picture it is, they tell you it's the wrong way up, and it is in fact a picture of a scene from Legend of Zelda on the CDi.

Advertisement