Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship Dreamers Thread II: Hyper Adverts Retro Gaming Edition!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Legend of Dragoon is included so it's obviously worth a fortune.

Seriously though, sad to see a bundle of nice games like that in a flip case. Original cases long binned I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

If the games were boxed it would be ok. But to me disk games unboxed have zero value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Person is a dreamer, other advert they have is 300e for a PS4 with 5 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The PS4 doesn't sound terrible, €200 for the console from CeX (albeit pricey as the original and slim are the same price) the controllers are €65-90 from them and have always been expensive new. Add up a few cheap games and it's a fairly normal price. Not a great deal though, I'd rather buy it new. Those games are usually €15-20 new from Smyths/Amazon at this stage so the total lot wouldn't break the bank. Pretty sure original PS4s are like €150 secondhand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Was wondering maybe if they were basing them on CEX’s CIB prices give they’ve started selling PS1 stuff in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So apparently the wiiU can become bricked if it's left turned off and unused for long periods of time. I'm quite worried now as mine has been left in my parents attic for quite some time now and there's a few wiiu games I still want to beat.

Master of the Universe

No way? Is there an internal battery that holds encryption keys I wonder? Must look that up, I haven't switched my WiiU on in a few years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have one such WiiU at home (and a working one) and I've just stumbled upon this guide which suggests it can be unbricked. Might have a go tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eh... something to do with the NAND? Which I know is very bad.

This has been your weekly update from a retrogaming luddite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Just checked mine and it works, including launching some Wii games from the eShop, after maybe 5 years of being all boxed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

Does anyone have a rough idea of the timeline on this?

No one really knows, only getting reported now and people are saying you should back up your NAND to prevent it.

That's annoying, I think mine is from 2013 but been off since about 2018. I have to get it out of storage to use my starfox guard code before the eshop closes anyway, so every cloud and all that

Master of the Universe

Anyone else find it hard to believe the WiiU came out over ten years ago?

Metal Gear Solid Revengeance is 10 years old, retronauts just covered it.

I think games have moved on so little in the last 10 years that it doesn't feel as long. It used to be that each generation was a monumental shift in hardware and scope. Now I couldn't tell a PS4 or PS5 game apart.

100% There was a nintendo direct sometime last year and it they had advanced wars remastered, no mans sky, a port of the wii version of the force unleashed and portal. It could have been from 2013 and you wouldn't know the difference

Master of the Universe

I see GTA V is also ten years old this year. That's been on what, three different generations of consoles now?

If you were playing a game from three generations previous, ten years ago, that would be akin to playing a SNES game on your Xbox 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As much shít as people like to give Rockstar, the fact that it's still in the top 5 sales on both PS4 and PS5 every single month is insane for a game that old. Whatever about the online shark cards and being ported several times it's seriously impressive.

My brain just doesn't comprehend how long ago the 360/PS3 era was. How was I playing CoD4 or Condemned sixteen years ago? I feel weird posting 360 stuff in the new gets thread because it doesn't feel retro...

There's 10 years between LOZ: a link to the past and Metal Gear Solid 2.

I played Revengeance last night and still think it could pass as a modern game.

Another good comparison is the PS3 version of the Last of Us and the recent PS5 release. 10 years between them and I was looking at digital foundry video and them saying it's a monumental shift in graphics and all I could think of was how gorgeous the PS3 version still looks and how in some places it looked better artistically.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Rather amazingly I've managed to go ten years without ever actually playing a ps4. Still view my Xbox One as a 'new' console!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just retrieved my launch model one there, will give it a test next week. It's stock, so I'll probably be forced to install CFW on it now to make a NAND bakup...IF it even works.

Bad news for anyone thinking theirs might be ok. My launch model appears to boot fine, upgraded it to the latest firmware etc, all perfect. Went to dump the nand, and boom, error 160-0103 when the payload attempts to dump the nand contents. It must be corrupted at a point that isn't crucial (yet), and will likely continue to spread. So if you're testing yours and it boots up, you aren't out of the woods I'm afraid.

Master of the Universe

Ah no, sorry to hear that! My WiiU is stored away in a spot I won't be able to get to for a good while yet. (potentially years) so I don't think there's much hope for it so.

We're quite lucky really when you think about it that more consoles havent suffered like this with chip failures/memory corruption and that it seems to really mostly be just bad caps that caused most issues.

Yeah it's a shame, such little use on it too. It'll look nice on a shelf I suppose! I mean it still works, but there's obviously the beginnings of the issue starting if I can't seem to dump the nand. Thankfully there's really very little reason to bother with the Wii U these days I suppose.

Master of the Universe

Do have to wonder if there'll be a market in the future of 'rare working WiiU!' consoles. Sure how else will retro gamers of tomorrow play Star Fox Zero?? 😁

I think you mean Devil's Third

I wish they made more use out of the touch pad. The nintendoland games that use it are so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

is there a reason they’re not porting Xenoblade X across to the Switch?

Master of the Universe

Luigi's Ghost Mansion (aka Pac Man Vs with a reskin) is stupid amounts of fun with a few people in the room. I remember playing that at one of Ciderman's beers and it's what sold me on picking up a WiiU.

• Advertisement

I wonder if this will spawn someone to have a look at cracking the bespoke wifi tech that Nintendo used for the Gamepad to Wii U communication. It'd be amazing to be able to pair the GamePad with Cemu, and use it as you would on a real Wii U.

Advertisement