Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ariel parts query?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

That masthead amp won't work with Clermont Carn, or even the HD channels from Brougher on ch. 37. It wouldn't have been installed on the combined feed from the diplexer.

Ch. 52 was used by CC before the last frequency changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They say RF is a black art and yours is a classic example.

Before disconnecting anything can you go through all the RTE1 & RTE2 channels saved in the 800s on your TV and check the UHF channel number for each to determine what other Saorview transmitters the 2 aerials are receiving e.g. UHF 34 & 35 (Kippure), UHF 31 & 37 (Kilduff - N Tipperary), UHF 42 & 45 (Clermont Carn) for example. We know Kippure is there but is Clermont Carn there via the Saorview aerial?

Do you have the masthead amp fitted and working at the moment?

We know your TV is receiving Saorview UHF 34 & 35 (Kippure), could it be 180° or so opposite Brougher Mt. behind your Freeview aerial? If so there may be little aerial rear rejection of other transmitters behind the Freeview aerial. Also as Elvis pointed out UHF 31 & 37 (Kilduff - N Tipperary) may be co-channel interfering (CCI) with the BBC HD and UTV muxes on the same frequencies from Brougher Mt.

If this is the case the masthead amp on the Freeview aerial could be amplifying the CCI problem.

If the combiner is in place and working and the hi-leg is connected to the Saorview aerial it should reject frequencies from Kippure/Kilduff.

I would initially recommend disconnecting the Saorview aerial for testing, to determine if the Freeview aerial is pulling in Kippure and maybe Kilduff from the rear or side.

I remember someone on here years ago having similar issues with Mt Leinster(???) and another transmitter, an aerial was pulling in a strong signal from another transmitter behind the aerial, IIRC to resolve the issue it was recommended to rotate the aerial away gradually from the wanted transmitter to increase the rear rejection of the unwanted transmitter until a happy balance was achieved.

The amplifier won't change the ratio of wanted to unwanted signals passing through it, so it won't have any bearing on CCI.

I only mentioned Kilduff so OP would be aware of it, but if problems only started in the last few weeks, it's hardly the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

I think yous both are right in what yous are saying.

I used to get the BBC NI in HD but havnt been getting them for awhile. Hadn't thought of that until it was mentioned. Also having browsed through my relations channels they are getting more freeview ones then I am like the other 5 channels and dave ones or +1s of certain freeview channels yet I'm living higher up then them and their ariel is in bits lol

Everything is still installed as it was yes nothing new put in only the cables and they have been done carefully.

So this morning I've checked what Saorview ch are coming in on and on ch42 are

Virgin Media 1

Tg4

Rte news

Virgin media 2

Remaining Saorview channels are coming in on CH33 RTEs and Virgin media 3 bar Rte2 on ch 34

So the Saorview ariel is pulling some stations from CC and the remainder is coming from Tipp via the back of my freeview ariel like Cush mentioned??

Its a long way to Tipperary from my house lol mad stuff

So that lab gear combiner box could sort the problem?

I'll check what volts are coming out to the ariel also but won't be today

UHF 34/35 is Kippure in Wicklow, you're picking these two anyway as we saw in your pics yesterday. On the Freeview or Saorview aerials?

UHF 33, which channels?

Kilduff, no channels, inward interference may just be causing the issues you see to the hi-power Brougher Mt frequencies.

So you are only receiving the three hi-power PSB muxes from Brougher Mt - https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Brougher_Mountain, none of the lo-power commercial channels.

• Advertisement

The labgear combiner will only sort the issue if the Kippure channels are coming in via the Saorview Clermont Carn aerial. More difficult to sort if they're coming in on the Freeview aerial.

Can you give us an appropriate location where you live, closest town/village etc.

If would give us a better indication of distances/terrain etc. to the various transmitter sites.

Ch. 33 will be Three Rock.

The problem is your Saorview aerial isn't really doing anything if you have it routed through that group A amplifier.

Retuned the TV there and the ch35 rte 1 you seen from the pic last night now comes in this morning on Ch33 along with rte2+1, virgin media 3, rte junior rte one +1, sky news

Ch42

Virgin Media 1

Tg4

Rte news

Virgin media 2

Oireachtas tv

RTE 2 (jumped ship from ch34 last night)

My freeview stations are

Bbcs ch29

UTV, and all itv 2,3,4 channel 4, more4 e4 film4 channel 5 ch31

I'm probably only taking in the 2 high power off brougher as I've no HDs atm?

I could retune this tonight and that change and I'd pull in the quests etc

I don't mind not getting them ones but the main ones as mentioned above which I've always got have not become weaker/interference with the BBC NI the worse of the freeview ones most nights.

I'm outside Castleblayney, Monaghan. On the border high up terrain.

Could see cooley and Mourne mountains around here and Enniskillen only a stones throw away also.

Tis some conundrum.

Yous 2 both know your stuff and thanks for the info so far, I'm certainly learning.

Kilduff won't be a problem there, then. The missing HD channels will be due to the old amp & diplexer chopping off the top of group A, as it is now. The commercial muxes are a lot lower powered, & will be subject to interference from Divis in Belfast.

Clermont will be strong in your area, particularly high up, so ch. 42 could be leaking in despite the efforts of the amp &/or diplexer to keep it out.

RTE's network has a lot of coverage overlap from main transmitters.

• Advertisement

So should get this combi and connect the freeview ariel in on the left, Saorview ariel on the right and the com to the UHF connection in the splitter in the attic and see how it goes?

I'd try that to start, yeah.

I'd agree too, and no amp for the moment

I assume the Divis Freeview transmitter isn't an option for you?

I could try it but majority of ariels around here all pointed for Brougher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I'm curious to know how you got on after all your work (and the great advice from the gang here). Did you manage to get all your Freeview and Saorview channels in the end?

I hadn't posted since as unfortunately I didn't get back to fitting the new stuff but plan to this Bank Holiday weekend.

Strange enough this past week there has been no interference with the signal on the current stations that I have.

I will update you all when I get all installed. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement