Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions Cup 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ulster have been so so poor.

They havent been poor, they havent even played...they might aswell be with the Ulster fans in the stand.

I don't have sound on, no sanction for the head on head? What was the reasoning? Thought he was looking at a red tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Warwick passive, was using arms, had dropped height

• Advertisement

Mad that he didn't even get a yellow

Why would he get a yellow? He did all he could do, its not his fault that Tuilagi ran straight into his head.

This is absolutely shocking from Ulster. WTF is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

On a side note It was great to see European rugby back on RTE.

One of the young lads is soccer mad and glued to the WC but he was loving the Toulouse game on Sunday. Plus he was able to talk to his grandad (Munster mad) about the match afterwards.

The Racing (& Sale) match was a non entity in our homes but with the Gloucester match on Friday eve I'm hoping we (me esp!) all get to see it. Three generations all watching and talking rugby. FTA the only way to go for rugby if we really want the game to grow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

FTA games this weekend: Leinster v Gloucester (Fri 8pm, RTE2) Exeter v Bulls (Sat 1pm ITV1) and Montpellier v Ospreys (Sat 8pm S4C).

• Advertisement

Agustin Creevy given a 4-week ban.

He got 6-weeks but for some unfathomable reason had 2 weeks shaved off (despite having already received a red card in 2022).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I would never have given a red for that

He's hitting up into the tackle, zero attempt to wrap, plants a shoulder square on the chin of the guy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,833 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i though there was significant mitigation in the creevey incident as the player he hit was just pounded sideways by a separate tackler, so teher ewa significant change in direction. I dont think creevy even had a chance to raise his arms to wrap. obviously EPCR see these things a lot stricter than URC do.

Yeah, but if you look at his body position even prior to Bouthier being hit by his teammate, he's already set for a high hit. There's a camera angle from behind Creevy that shows this clearly.

I'm not saying it was a malicious tackle, but Creevy is intending to hit high, which is the reason why he ends up hitting Bouthier square in the face. It's a red all day to me.

ah yeah, im not gonna bother arguing the ins and outs when the decision has already been made on the night and apparently not contested, but for me there was enough of a change in direction of the ball carrier to render creevy not set for the hit or even been able to get his arm up in time. It was him turning his own face away from contact that caused his shoulder to go up and forward.

but we want to get rid of head shots from the game, so i can understand why the red was given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Apparently Jake White told a South African interviewer that all South African team's knock out games in European competition would be away matches.

Is this correct?

For me there was never any tackle on Creecy's part. His teammate had the ball carrier covered, Creevy was lining up for a poach, tackled player fell into him and he flinched away from a head-on head contact and caught him with his shoulder.

I don't know how the citing commission can look at that video and come to the conclusion Creevy tried to make a tackle with a shoulder to the head. All sense seems to go out the window with these reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Yes,and that’s a very unfair disadvantage to the Sa teams

Agreed. It's also a term I hadn't heard about until I saw South Africans upset by White complaining about it.

Can someone confirm it's correct.

• Advertisement

not quite

White questioned whether a South African side had the firepower to win, especially given the tournament structure meant SA teams would play playoff games from the quarterfinals away from home.

“For you to win the Champions Cup, you need to beat Toulouse, Leinster and La Rochelle on three consecutive weekends,” he said.

“I don’t want to be a defeatist, but you have to be realistic. Do we have the squads in South Africa that can match La Rochelle, Toulouse and Leinster on three consecutive weekends away from home?”

i think hes referring to the fact that they need to pick and choose between URC and HC, due to the travel commitments... and no SA squad is strong enough to battle on both front.

i dont see anything in the competition format that excludes a QF being played in south africa

Castres have given away 20 pens. Only one YC

What's with the weird classical music on the speakers in Edinburgh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It doesn't mention anything about SA teams having to play away in the knock out games in the rules and considering they're playing their pool games in SA I think someone's read something into White's quote that isn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Edit, Wrong thread.

Monty 3 -14 Ospreys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Monty killing themselves, 10 penalties conceded in the 1st 30 minutes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I agree, but it was a pretty tortuous quote and I wouldn't blame anyone for reading that into it.

Ref in munster game Is a joke

• Advertisement

4 collaped mauls in 4 min and no card

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Agreed, Burkie. How it was one yellow apiece after that schmozzle is a mystery. ;)

Feels like the referee was doing a J5 game. Calm down handbags when you don't know whats going on by giving a random player on each team a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Red card for Racing. 14 v 10 to Quinns. 52mins gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Harlequins win 14-10. Hard to see Racing making it to the knockouts and they will hopefully be disinterested when they come to Dublin.

Hopefully not. These cakewalks are good for nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Interesting that half way through the pool 4 of the 4 French sides in Pool A are 9th to 12th. In Pool B 2 La Rochelle and Toulouse are 1st and 2nd. Clermont and Montpellier 8th and 9th.

I've listed the French teams below. On the left is their seed and on their right is their pool position.

1 Castres 12

1 Montpellier 9

2 Bordeaux 9

2 Toulouse 2

3 La Rochelle 1

3 Racing 92 11

4 Clermont 8

4 Lyon 10

I have to say (and I've said before) that I'm not a fan of the domestic league results of a single season controlling European seeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Castres losing to Edi, MHR to Ospreys, Bordeaux, Clermont and Lyon all facing SA teams (Clermont, I think, with the only win?).

And Leinster just Leinstering Racing.

URC is the #BestLeague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

DuPont's try at 47 minutes against Sale was unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

DuPonts 2 tries were unreal. He's at present the Lionel Messi of Rugby, minus a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

With only 4 games, Pool A is becoming clear in terms of who will finish in the top spots. Very hard to see beyond Leinster and Saracens now given they've both won away in France. After that, Exeter are the likely third spot given they've also won in France but still have to go to SA. Not out of the question that Exeter finish second though if they can get a win away to the Bulls who have not been impressive at all this season.

After that, we're probably looking at the Sharks (again, a road win in France under their belts) who have to go to Quins in their final game which could be key for Quins qualifying.

It's starting to look like 7 points might be enough for someone to qualify in the final spots in Pool A given 4 teams have no win at this point.

Pool B is harder to call. 12 points is looking like it might be enough for a home knock out match. You'd back La Rochelle, Toulouse and Leicester all to do enough to get 12/13 points now minimum and secure home knock outs. After that, it's a mess. Bonus points will be crucial. If the Stormers can win in London Irish, they should take the final home quarter final with 13 points (assuming they can beat Clermont at home too). Crucially for them, they're already in the UK the week before to face Glasgow so will be well adjusted when they travel to London several days before their game.

After that, it's 5 teams going after 4 spots. It's probably going to take 10 points to secure one of those spots. Sale have the toughest games hosting Toulouse and away to Ulster but Toulouse visit the week after travelling to La Rochelle and Ulster are likely to be mathematically eliminated by the time Sale arrive.

Montpellier have London Irish at home and Ospreys away; they're capable of winning both but I'd imagine they might lose in Wales which puts Ospreys in the mix with a trip to Leicester to finish. Clermont will be depending on bonus points. Get them and they'll progress.

Munster should be safe with a BP win at home to Northampton given how other games are panning out. I don't see the Ospreys getting a BP at home to Montpellier or much away to Leicester so I'd expect them to be the odd man out.

Clermont Leicester is a cracker. 26 34. 54th minute. BT2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Brilliant game, that last turnover was top class

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

If anyone could PM a link to the Leicester game, it would be appreciated

Of Raka had held onto that he'd have scored, great tackle to make him pass though.

Great game, but wouldn't be worried about having to play either of these teams.

Ah yeah, very loose and both would struggle against a well drilled team, Clermont were just missing a good 10 to direct the attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bath v Toulon postponed.

"The pitch at The Rec was deemed unplayable and Bath said there were "up to eight inches of standing water" in the stadium.

Toulon still hope to play the match this weekend.

"Due to heavy and persistent rainfall over recent days, the River Avon has exceeded its bank-full capacity," read a Bath statement."

Postponing games is ok now, it seems.

Postponing games has always been ok depending on context.

It will have to be played this weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement