Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now that Covid is over why doesn't someone officially call it ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Weaponised smallpox? And in Russia of all places. I wouldn't put it past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

Because it's not over, Covid would have to be eradicated for it to be over.

There is still another winter to go through with the related deaths and hospital admissions before we can form any true opinion of how many deaths we are willing to accept

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

……….

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There's a great chance the winter will be fine and we'll get a normal Christmasfor the forst time in 3 years. But that's the test.

We don't need it to be eradicates though. It just needs to not be a big problem. We have seasonal flu which kills people but it doesn't typically overwhelm the health system, so it's just taken as an unfortunate part of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GardenLady

I'm in the US, and it's certainly not over here. The Mister and I, his sister and our brother-in-law, and my stepdaughter went to NYC to see the Broadway revival of The Music Man. Stepdaughter flew, the rest of us took the train. The Mister & I, sister & BIL, all got it, which leads me to think we got it on the train. Being vaxxed and boosted, it was much like a bad case of the flu, but it was of serious concern because The Mister is a cardiac patient. Fortunately, it's all over for us. But two weeks later, my parents (ages 92 and 98) got it in their assisted living, where they have 15 residents and 4 staff who have tested positive in the last two weeks. So, not over here, and with international travel, that means not over anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I think it's not really clear what people mean when they say "it's over". A general definition as to what that means would help the discussion.

For me, no restrictions whatsoever that are legally mandated and only guidance that people should follow if they want, is sufficient for it to be "over". I'm sure for others some sort of total eradication is what it being "over" means. Therefore, for me, it is in fact over and the benefit of declaring it over is that it disappears from your day to day life as a concern or a topic of conversation which is positive given how utterly toxic and negative it is to be bombarded with COVID news, restrictions, those yellow signs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Unlucky. Not everyone gets it. I have been over and back to the states a few times since last November( was over there last week). Packed planes, busy JFK, i was in busy restaurants and i never caught it.

I'd agree with the general definition of over meaning no mandatory restrictions. But I'd also say we need to known if we can get through winter without restrictions or not. If we can, then it's over. If not, then it's only over for now. But only time will tell.

I'm living as if it's over for now so I'm pretty happy with how things are now. No point pretending restrictions can't come back this winter. But if we get through this winter, then it's almost certainly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pandemics don't operate on the basis of advantages and disadvantages. Globally it is not yet over but very many countries have now moved on past the widespread health issues associated with COVID. Current new cases are at about 375K worldwide, a tenth of what they were in January. The WHO will do the announcing when the time comes and seeing as it took them months to decide there was one, you could be waiting a good bit for a declared end to it. From our perspective the public emergency is over, just over four months now, and it has been downgraded to yet another public health issue to be monitored by the HPSC and HSE.

I will ask why you seem to maintain such an unusual level of interest in it as it really seems to be a fairly pointless intellectual conceit.

I very much doubt we'll see any restrictions ever again. I think there is a bit of an unspoken agreement that we need to cop on now with huge levels of inflation and an economy that will almost certainly enter into recession this year. Interest rates will go up which means people will start losing homes, jobs and all those things that go with recession. And god knows how bad the cost of living will become.

As a country, we won't be able to borrow more money to pay for business closures and give people 350 a week.

When the cost of living goes through the roof and the country is officially in recession, good luck telling people you are going to take away their personal freedoms again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

And a massive chunk of those figures are just from one country. North Korea.

The becoming dominant strains in many countries (ba.5 and ba.6) are so mild that many cases are asymptomatic .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The previous Emergency Response to the Pandemic in Ireland is more or less over, that much is obvious.

No one really knows how this will all pan out in the medium to long term, we can only use past cases to try and predict the future, but there are no guarantees!

I'm interested in it because its the thread topic. I'm not sure I'm unusually interested in it at all.

I'm just living life as normal. Im visiting friends this weekend, staying in their house, out and about, going for pints, living life. I don't see why the OP and Co. want 'someone' to declare it over. I just don't see what advantage it brings to arbitrarily declare it over.

I'd just recommend living life as usual unless it goes haywire this winter. If it doesn't, then we'll just continue to life life as normal and it will be undramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

While I agree with your post not the last line as a bit of an own goal ?

We are all here posting , although less often , so we are all still interested in some way , including yourself , in this " fairly pointless intellectual conceit " !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Can't see it, the lack of border protection from a virus and readily available vaccines would make it too dangerous for Russia to consider and no real benefit to their ongoing war effort. Also NATO would likely consider it to be an attack

Advertisement