Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that Covid is over why doesn't someone officially call it ?

Options

Comments

Mission Accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's still a drain on public funds, money that could be spent better would be one.

Do we still have people isolating and losing days at work? If so that would be another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

So that you dontend up going for your folight and having a cold and being told you cant go on your holidays.

One of the kids the communion class near us had to stay at home because of a cold couple of weeks ago. Couldnt make their communion.

Stuff like that wouldnt happen if it was declared over.

I would actually like to see everyone get tested to see if they had covid already.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

• Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wouldn't those people just do a lateral flow test to check if it's s likely covid or not? That's what I do anyway. Happened at the weekend. Mrs. was feeling unwell so we did lateral flows and its just a cold or whatever. Job's a good'ne. That's about the only precaution I'm taking at the moment. Not a big inconvenience.

Those issues could be addressed by removing any restrictions for now while there aren't any real problems from covid. Ad long as people see realistic about the fact that next winter is the actual test, not now in the better weather.

The main reasons I'm opposed to declaring it over is because we don't know if it's over or not. So it would be arbitrary. That's the main one.

The second one is that it would make it harder to react if we need to react next winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It is bizarre alright that you are still stuck in covid forums unable to move on, while acussing others of being the oddball.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I don't acuss anybody, I'm a good Christian boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I think for the vast majority of people in Ireland it wouldn't make a difference in a daily basis outside of having to isolate, as the restrictions are pretty much lifted here.

I'm sure if the WHO came out tomorrow call 'officially declared it over' it would end the recovery certs and vaccination certs for travelling. There are also a lot of countries that still require vaccination certs for entry into indoor events. Even in some colleges in the US require you to be fully vaccinated. It would probably put an end to the mask mandates worldwide too.

Sure. Are those countries doing as well as Ireland though? Ireland could lift all restrictions in and I wouldn't object. As long as they make people aware that winter is the test. Then it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Personally i couldn’t care less whether the pandemic is declared over or not. I can do the things i did back in 2019. So how do you define over? Is it over because life is normal or because the virus is still around? Of course i do all the simple basic precautions.

i think it will be unlikely that restrictions will return especially when they were all lifted when cases were rampant and hospitals were at nearly 1700.

The threshold for restrictions is now quite high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Not nice sitting in a packed space with lots of other people though when you are snotting your face out and sneezing all over the place. Not nice for you and not nice for them. If covid was declared a non issue then people wouldnt feel so bad.

I was on a flight to NY with Aerlingus last Saturday. Masks had to be worn on flight unless you were eating or drinking.

Yeah exactly. I'm pretty much the same. Living pretty much as normal, restrictions are unlikely. There's no good argument for arbitrarily declaring it over. Well see how the winter goes. It it goes well then we're petty much in the clear.

Ah, yeah. If you're "snotting your face out and sneezing all over the place", then you're better off not going into a packed place. But that's common courtesy rather than a law. So what's the problem? Randomly making 'declarations' of covid being over isn't a solution to anything you've said there.

Wouldn't you just wait and see if it's actually over before making any declarations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think you need to research Corona Viruses and inform yourself about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I wish it would be declared over because it’s making life hell for a relative of mine in a nursing home in the uk. They are still being locked down, mostly due to staff testing positive. When they lock down the 2 floors are not allowed to mix, and he’s upstairs, so he loses access to the dining room and common areas. So basically locked in his bedroom for yet another week, with no visitors allowed. He’s so depressed at this stage, it needs to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I'll call it ...Over !

Ok now ?

Oh sh1t you're right. Now I feel like I should go to a public gathering when I'm "snotting your face out and sneezing all over the place", as another poster put it.

Thanks Goldengirl. I guess next winter is going to be fine now what someone declared it over. Why didn't we think of declaring it over in March 2020?

Would you consider declaring the war in Ukraine over too? It would be a big help to the poor divils over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Xander10

You seem to be fixated with in all. Maybe stop posting and thinking about it so much.

You are sitting waiting for winter. again, this virus was never seasonal. The scenes in Italy in Feb/March at the start of it all and NY that summer were the worst. We have vaccines now.

Hospital in Ireland will probably have it's normal annual winter bed supply issues due to inefficiencies.

I'm not fixated on it. I'm living life pretty much as normal bar doing a lateral flow if I'm sick (or my mrs is sick).

If winter stays like this then it's great. No point telling everyone it's over whenever don't know if it's over. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I'll continue living life as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's over, until the next variant, if there ever is a next variant... And by variant I mean one of concern not a sub variant or sublineage or anything like that

Post edited by Red Silurian on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

How many posters predicted last January that by March Irish people would be inviting unvaccinated strangers to take up residence in the spare rooms of their houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Ahh sure its been and gone now at this stage in Ireland.

Planning on visiting the yanks in the near future, theres so much outdated junk on tinternet one would require a degree in cryptographic deciphering to make any sense out of it, does anybody know if travelling to US still requires a vaccination certificate? The link below states that: "Effective December 6, 2021, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one calendar day of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the United States may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel"

When it says "regardless of vaccination status", does that mean a negative test is additionally required, or thats all thats required?

https://ie.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Sorry, just read the rest of that:

"From 6 March 2022, all COVID-19 travel restrictions are removed. You no longer need to complete a passenger locator form. You also no longer need proof of vaccination or recovery, or a COVID-19 test."

So this means nothing is needed? No cert, or no negative test needed?

That’s for the irish passenger location form. I just travelled to the US last Saturday. You have to fill out a USA passenger location form and you have to be vaccinated if you haven’t had covid recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Isn't smallpox the only virus that was ever eradicated? And that took 3000 years. So I think we have a long time yet until covid is over. A vaccine that will give sterilising immunity will help.

Ah yeah but they think a strain of common cold might be the modern iteration of Spanish Flu. It doesn't need to go away. It just needs to become weak enough (or our immune systems to become able to deal with it) to the point that we can live normally and don't need restrictions to prevent the health service being overwhelmed.

That's all we need. So we don't need to eradicate it.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Think I should point out that I was responding to the OP's need for " someone to call it over " which I did !

Does not mean it is at all , of course , I do wholeheartedly agree , and while I believe the worst is over now in Ireland that we are mainly vaccinated and have some immunity , from severe illness , who knows what will happen in a few months time , regardless of whether somebody says its over or not .

Should have included some sort of tongue in cheek emoji, if there is one .../p ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Not quite, it still exists in labs. Russia supposed has large stocks of weaponised smallpox. There’s a lovely thought.

Advertisement