Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brian Dowling and Arthur Gourounlian expecting first baby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Talking about in general, as a lot of this thread is.

Not even gone touch the inbreeding aspect of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

If your ma is also your aunt, does the baby get two birthday presents or just the one?

Asking for some friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wasn't this a storyline in Friends?

Best of luck to them. There's enough misery in the world not to be cribbing about a child being brought into the world by two seemingly responsible and loving parents. Plenty of 'traditional' parents' who shouldn't own a goldfish, let alone a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Great news. They plan to share as much of it as they can. Now all we need to concern ourselves about is "who should be called Dad and who should be called Daddy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

An, would you leave them be. They want a child, and this, unconventional method is what they decided on. But I’m would say they will be great parents. Brian was - in recollection- the most popular BB contestant ever. He’s a nice person. I’m fairly sure that his husband is a nice person too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Tork

I hope for the child's sake that they are nice people. More importantly, that they break the habit of a lifetime and stop attention seeking. What this child needs is as regular an upbringing as he/she can have, outside the public eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Pretty sure it will be fine. In this age of Tik Tok and Insta and Twitter to an extent - almost everybody of child bearing age in this side of the world is attention seeking. Anyhow. I wish them well. Don’t get the reason for all of the negative comments. They might read this thread, and some of the opinions expressed are way worse than two guys who want to have and raise a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I don't understand why people think they are treating the child like a fashion accessory. Surely they've thought about it a hell of a lot more than drunk straight people who get pregnant after a one night stand. Yes the caption "we're pregnant" irritated me a bit, as a woman, but Brian seems like a nice person and I'm sure the child will be very well looked after. The "fashion accessory" comments are what just sound like thinly-disguised homophobia to me. Plus it's their own business, he and his sister are clearly very close, and no exploitation is taking place (unlike Ukraine where this is arguably the case).

And I'm pretty sure studies show that it's the presence of two parents, not the sex of the parents, that's important in a child's life, so people should just STFU and mind their own business.

• Advertisement

Ah right. You have an issue with a specific poster. There is an ignore function if it riles you up that much.

And "a poster" isn't a huge difference from "him". We were both talking about the same singular individual.

I don't think you would love to debate it further as you said you are out and moving onto other threads (no doubt to leave it once you see a poster you disagree with).

If you don't like the site or if it leaves a sour taste in your mouth, perhaps you aren't compatible with discussion and should stick to places where only like-minded individuals sit and agree with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@[Deleted User] - ....perhaps you aren't compatible with discussion and should stick to places where only like-minded individuals sit and agree with each other.

In which case I'll follow you out of the door as you're obviously in need of such a place yourself.

I'd already left the thread, and you're simply trolling now. Sad that you've got nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They ran straight to the papers to show off the fact that they're getting the latest accessory. Homophobia my arse. It's the kid I feel sorry for. Won't stand a chance with those 2 attention seekers pushing them into the limelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Indeed. Never seen other couples attacked like this before.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So slavery (buying and selling people is wrong) but surrogacy (buying and selling babies) is perfectly right.

The mind boggles at the double standards

You've never seen two "celebrities" attacked like this before?

Attacked?

Ah come on ffs.

I suppose you feel that the reason for this unprecedented all-out attack is due to some sort of "phobia"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They didn’t run straight to the papers. The article is a total copy and paste job from Brian and Arthur’s Instagram posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Person A barely makes a living nursing cancer patients in hospital.

Person B makes a living by telling the press he is having a baby.

There lies the rub.

Celebrities attacked online with hurtful words will not be tolerated. All available officers are on their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Celebrity Oh Brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I say its better than dogs as they really get a raw deal when they get bored of them!!

Very true, although a dog can be rehomed. No way a "celeb" is going through the shame of being seen to rehome a kid/put them up for adoption/into care. They'll just grow up damaged beyond repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Immediately, I remembered reading about this couples decision to place the child they adopted from China, up for adoption -

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/stephaniemcneal/myka-stauffer-huxley-announcement

Best decision they ever made for the child IMO, pair of absolute nutters with shìtty values that they will still manage to pass on to their other children.

As for the two lads - good luck to them. I don’t support nor endorse surrogacy, either commercial or altruistic, but I see no reason to be critical of the couple in question as parents. Whether there are better or worse parents out there is of no relevance to the couple in the opening post, nor should it be. There’s no reason to assume they’re any better or any worse than anyone else who becomes a parent, however they become a parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I note in the Minister for Childrens public apology yesterday re: Adoptions/Birth Certs that he says:

"Those who were knowingly involved in the illegal registration of births, committed a grave offence which robbed children of their identity and their right to an accurate birth registration."

I have seen Irish celebrity baby buyers complain in the media recently that they are struggling to be declared legal guardians of the children they possess

So basically they are goosed because I am sure the mother's of the babies wanted anonymity. Which also raises the bizarre story of Rosanna Davison and her quest to get the babies mother out of Ukraine. Was there an ulterior motive to this? Did she just want her out to sign over the baby to her? Is she even the mother of the baby or just some randomer? Does she even know who the name of the mother is? Is there a Ukrainian birth cert that will be accessible to the child when they grow up?

We can't have it both ways, where the state is apologizing for not adhering to right of accurate birth information and then Irish celebrities are buying anonymous babies from Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Absolutely. You'd thing some people had never seen a 'we're pregnant' celebrity couple before. Or any couple for that matter.

There was a time when thered be one in OK! or Hello! every other month.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

"We're pregnant". Neither of them have the internal prerequisites to get pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I've no problem with same sex people having children. But I do have a problem with this new trend of "we are pregnant" shite.

We are not pregnant unless I have a conjoined womb im unaware of it was the wife that was pregnant , had the hormones all out of whack and pushed the baby out of her fanoola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes. You said. Several times before. And I'm still surprised you've never heard the phrase before.

Only recently I've started to notice. I'm not much interested the "celeb" news feed and don't do the social media scene so it is plausible.

I'd go as far as saying it's disrespectful to women.

They may be expecting a baby, as I have been. But I wasn't pregnant.

• Advertisement

I've seen it many times and many years ago, even with traditional couples conceiving via tradiontal means. It's not meant to be taken literally.

I've often argued the "its not to be taken literally" as a defence for saying something. Never seems to hold water in this day and age.

Really? Everything is literal to you and no phrase or idiom is acceptable?

Strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

"disrespectful to women" "Traditional" "accessory"

"'circus" "what gender will they give the child"

The comments in this thread aren't even slightly veiled as being anything but hurtful & disrespectful to Brian & Arthur

When you have to qualify statements with "Im not homophobic but" it's just providing an excuse to yourself to be very homophobic unfortunately.

Not sure the majority of the these comments would be acceptable in heterosexual thread on surrogacy-beyond comprehension why they are tolerated here?

Just remember when the child is "of age" to google himself and everything will still be available online for them to view-

Would you rather leave a positive or negative contribution on their life??

That's not what I said.

But, you're keen on the self confessed crusade calling out people in the Woke thread - for not being anti woke, but merely bigoted, or transphobic. When, really it's a matter of let's not take things too literal, when on can be allowed to be miffed at the stupid expression or tokenism

Well, I'm on my own crusade of calling out shite when I see it. And this we are pregnant is shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

By the time the child is "of age" growing up in the environment it's going to it will have such thick skin they will probably be a rhino! Sure by then they will more than likely legally be able to identify as one as well.

• Advertisement

@youngblood before you quote what I said, please read it first. It wasn't so detailed that someone could extrapolate it as being anything close to homophobic. The clue is in the sentence, "I'm not against same sex parenting". It's the stupid expression I dislike and it's used by both hetro and same sex couples

This isn't s woke issue and it isn't a social one so stay on topic and quit the veiled insults.

Is the phrase 'we're pregnant' the ONLY thing you're upset about - yes or no? If they said 'we're having a baby', would you be fine with it?

I have no intention of insulting you. If I did, you wouldn't be in any doubt. I have no need to insult you, i dont have any problem with you at all. I think we're being rather civil no?

To answer you second question, it's only the expression I've an issue with, their gender or sexual orientation is irrelevant to me, and none of my business. As you mentioned already, you'll find I've brought up this "we are pregnant" before in threads unrelated to this.

No idea. Can't go through a poster's old posts since the site relaunch.

Frankly, getting upset about a phrase and heading to the Internet is something I'd expect more from the woke crowd, but getting hard to tell the difference between woke and anti-woke these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Nah looking at the plonkers they will use this child for their media and will be into what they now term "digital child slavery."

Basically pimping your kids on social media and the likes for money.

They will no doubt be in competition with that other vacuous attention seeking slaphead Vogue for detergent ads and the like.

These two eejits, no more that all the other social media talentless creations should not ever be allowed procreate, they are lowering the IQ of humanity.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

You want to prevent some people from procreating, based on their (successful so far) career choice? That's pretty messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i actually feel sorry for the sister, imagine how hard it will be to hand over her child, and then be an aunty in his/her life, and the kid has a right to know who it's mam is in my opinion anyway, the most special person in most of our lives is our mother

Hmm.... forced sterilisation of undesirables.... wonder who else had that idea....

Oh, yeah - Godwin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Who's name goes on the birth certificate? It can't be BD and his fella, whilst omitting the mother? It can't be the mother and 2 father's. Who gets omitted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One should be more concerned at the level of prurience into their lives and that they have such a desperate need to share it with anybody outside their family. It really does look like they are angling for an at home family shoot for a very large fee but it's the way of the world sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its not an ideal situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

In Irish Law, the woman who gives birth is considered the mother, and therefore her name goes on the birth certificate. The name of the father who provided the sample goes down on the birth certificate as the father.

They may have used an egg donor too, I'm not sure if that has been clarified. But this information is not required for the birth certificate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭maik3n

It was actually mentioned earlier in the thread, that it's apparently a donor egg, with one of the lads contributions.

The sister is just the vessel/womb for the embryo.

There were some developments in 2020 regarding same sex couples and birth certificates.

Mind you, from the above article the birth cert situation seems to only apply to same sex female couples?

Yes, they did use a donor egg.

Some of the comments on this thread are shameful. There is nothing weird about Brian's sister acting as a surrogate for her sibling. Stories of sisters and friends acting as surrogates for each other have been happening for years.

Why is it different in this case because the siblings are brother and sister? If Aoife was acting as a surrogate for one of their other five sisters would it receive this amount of negative commentary and personal attacks?

No it wouldn't. This thread is purely an attack on Brian and Arthur.

I don't know what kind of parents they'll be. No one knows what kind of parent they will be until they actually become one. Personally, I offer my congratulations to Brian and Arthur and I wish them all the best, and I think what Aoife is doing for them, is wonderful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement