Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 2x10 - 'Farewell' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭eadrom

It's just crazy that the death of Q had so little time in the season. Almost just a footnote in the final episode. "Oh btw, remember me from all the promotonal material for this season? Well I'm dead now. Kbye".

I really wonder did Covid play a part in things. Aside from the shoddy story telling there seemed to be an awful lot of two people pairing up to just stand and talk plot to each other. And lots of back-of-head shots with obvious dialogue filled in later.

But jesus like, I enjoyed seeing Q but it wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I must watch his scenes again. I know he was dying but was it CONFIRMED that his last snap was basically going be his last act? In that it was definitely going to kill him? I thought it was along the lines of "Well, this is it. You MAY never see me again"

Plus, was it just me or, at one stage was anyone expecting an unaged Sisko appear on the bridge of the Stargazer once that transwarp portal was completed (Before it was announced as a transwarp portal). Acting all Emmisary... er... y? Giving some "The Prophets sent me to warn you...." type thing. I know he was a pain in the ass to work with and probably believes he is beyond Trek but money is money...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Nono, I just meant before they explained what it was. Once they said it was a Transwarp conduit then yeah, you knew it wasn't going to happen. But initially thought "Hey, wonder is that a new Wormhole"

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

It was decent enough except for every time Raffi was on screen and the YET ANOTHER GALAXY DESTROYING ISSUE at the end.

And I was happy to see Wesley <3

But moving swiftly on, Strange New Worlds is looking like the best thing since Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That was my takeaway too. Q pretty much confirms it in his last chat with Picard in the last episode - to release him (Picard) from his guilt/burden so that he wouldn't have to be alone in the future, just as how Picard in turn tells Q that he isn't dying alone either.

Picard was a favourite of Q's as he said, and without him around to watch over/occasionally torture him, Q wanted him to at least have someone when he was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nooo.. that S8 of DS9 idea that they "pitched" was awful IMO. The books have done much better in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just binge watched 8, 9 and 10 and jesus its awful dross.

I actually don't even have anything to say on it, just want to forget it all as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I didn't hate this towards the end. Some parts were still a bit jarring. And as others have mentioned above, there was often too much exposition. Space Elf himself said he had no idea what was going on, he had just reappeared. So there was no need for further explanation.

But towards the end a lot of old threads were nicely tied up. The question of why Q picked Picard to begin with and why Q chose to torture him as humanity's representative. In a roundabout way it also closes a few timey-wimey questions; if Q are omnipotent, then to what end meddle around in the lives of lesser beings? If you can travel back and forth in time, then obviously you know what has been and what will be. So what's the point - a question Voyager looked at.

Because they can see various possibilities and that timelines have plasticity rather than being fixed in all directions. I know it felt a bit like Tapestry, but in many ways it was the opposite. In Tapestry, Q was trying to teach Picard that he was who he was because of his history, and to pull out one thread is to unravel the whole thing. This time around, the lesson was that he didn't have to remain the same person that he always was, that change was possible. I guess in both cases it was, "Stop regretting the past and live in the now", but still.

But yeah, it could easily have been a couple of faster-paced episodes rather than this whole-season arc. I stick by my original theory that the showrunners cut back on set and SFX costs for S2 in order to spend them all on S3. The ending would seem to confirm that we're in for a season full of explosions and Borgness. Picard has now defeated two of his demons; Data's death and his mother's death. There's one more demon to slay before he dies. Is it Locutus? Is it his lack of children?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

After so long I finally caved and watched Season 2. It was alright as a switch off stand alone show but when I think about it in overall trek I really disliked it.

I really enjoyed the 25th Century Scenes. Proper Trek. Same with seeing the Confederation. As soon as time travel got involved the only aspect I enjoyed was exploring Picard's childhood. Not the scenes themselves but the secrets that lead to him being so distant.

Then the problems - how did Rios get recommissioned and promoted to Captain; and happen to be on the one ship that's sent to investigate the anomaly - and so happens to remain the lead ship that Picard arrives on. Also of course in the same fleet that Raffi and Elnor are on. Why isn't he in the academy?

Then the whole changing realities aspect. What happened to the rest of the entire fleet's crews? Was it really only those individuals who were sent to the Confederate timeline? Why would Q have done it to solely them - as opposed to the thousands of crew that were there? They're still not Picard's besties compared to the TNG crew.

Then we get the La Sirena being able to avoid every shot from the three pursuing ships whilst one torpedo, before borgification - was able to not only hit its target but disable it completely.

On the topic of super strong plot armour - the scene where raffi and seven run from the chateau to the ship when there was at least 8 special forces soldiers shooting at them without so much as a single wound on them on arrival.

Why wasn't borg agnes sent to Confederate past as opposed to the real borg queen? What happened the borg? Wth?

They then save the universe and go to Guinan's bar - where are Sevens friends? One sole mention of Janeway and that's it.

This season also taught the moral lesson - Agnes should have been jailed after killing the not-original-actor Bruce Maddox - and now she's the cause of a hell of a lot of problems in the second season by not being truthful with regards to her merging with the borg queen.

I enjoyed Baltar being Picard's father. What bugs me is how this whole story ties in with Jean Luc and more specifically his brother Robert. Was what happened kept from him? Had he known what lead to his mother's death - that would have far more explained his resentment towards him in Family and would have made that episode far more understandable.

I come to the same conclusion - having enjoyed all the 25th century scenes why can't we get Strange New Worlds or a new TNG, even with a new crew, in the 25th Century post Nemesis? Why is it that I still prefer Lower Decks over all the new Trek? That way we can learn about the Q continuum and this new threat. While also going about and discovering new threats. See what the dominion and the remnants of the real borg are doing..

Sorry, rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I dont really believe that Q is dead anyhow.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I hope he's not gone that's for sure.

Why didn't 7 recognize him or acknowledge him when he was originally referenced and, also, how come Agnes was on the bridge with Borg Agnes at the start but gone at the end?

My least favourite character - but how come she could not be assimilated by the queen but could easily assimilate far more strong willed special forces ?

God I wish the writers actually cared about canon and trek.

@FGR how come Agnes was on the bridge with Borg Agnes at the start but gone at the end?

Do you really need that explained!?

Time travel shenanigans. Agnes had yet to travel to past in the start, & wasn't returned to end by Q because she had been borgified in the past.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Ah yes like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

but but does that mean all the borg stuff in TNG and voyager not happen 😵

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Presumably it's a parallel collective doing their thing while the baddies we knew and loved did their tihng.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Timelines where fixed by Picard's ancestor (Doctor Renée Picard) successfully going on mission.

According to season two co-showrunner Terry Matalas, the answer is no. Jurati’s Borg were an “off-shoot” of the Borg Collective that “stayed out of history’s way.” He revealed this in a Twitter reply to a fan who asked how Jurati’s Borg impact the Borg we know.

So we have, potentially, 3 collectives bumbling about.

Regular Collective, Cooperative, and Jurati

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

There would have been four while the Trio from Survival Instinct were still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

Or five,

Collective, Cooperative, Survival Instinct bunch, Jurati’s band of Merry Friendly Borg….and the Unimatrix Zero rebels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

I think the Trio were dead by the time the Unimatrix Zero rebels were conscious in the real world. I'm not sure if they would even count as a collective they were individuals like Lore's Borg.

Advertisement