Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 2x10 - 'Farewell' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,905 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That queen is the same one that was there when the ship self destructed in the first episode.

How the rest of the borg stuff happened if she was in charge, I don't know. Unless there are 2 borg factions, but she waited until now to reveal themselves which doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's an excellent phrase in Doctor Who that covers all that.

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wish the writers took up Q's point - hoping 'Strange New Worlds' at least does.

I don't think the show is sh*t though and general consensus here appears to be the same. It's dumb but pretty entertaining overall and I make sure to turn any critical thinking off as a result and just go with it. Just would work better as about six episodes overall, with the material they did have.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I presume they were an offshoot faction that did their own thing like the Borg from Voyager's "Unity".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,018 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Very weak. I noticed they keep using old TNG and FC music like a laugh track to tell us when we have to feel sad but I was mostly numb.

The only actual sad bit is Rios and the hard life and death we know he had ahead. Even worse they killed of Treks best character in years and is a crime comparable to making Lorca eeeevvvviiiiilllll.I also like Jurati even though many dont so that sucks too (CGI Borgati looked awful too)

Why is Q dying ?

I said after season 1 that I could happily take 10 episodes of 7 and Picard having a slowchat about the Borg, humanity and the XBs. This season I would happily have watched 10 episodes of Picard and Q debating humanity. We just didnt get nearly enough Q

Finally SHUT UP WESLEY

• Advertisement

and plenty left on the table for a possible season three

Season 3 has already finished filming

Oh **** that. **** it from a height with a **** long **** stick.

I'm done. STW will be more of the same shite just not serialised.

First I hate the Kahn tie in but that one actually makes sense, after Enterprise augments

Legolas back, Rios dead, entire season a bad retread of Tapestry, Borg-lite in the Federation, far more interesting Q death just ignored, confirmed that they just didn't know about (forgot) season cliffhanger Time's Arrow, Wil Wheaton and his nemesis of that wet paper bag he can't act through.

Why couldn't they hit those drones, with a stick or something?

Space Beam!!!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Said on another thread, but if this was episode five. The season would have worked.

But leaving Rios in the past was a terrible idea. He was actually one of the interesting characters. Leave Raffi behind!!

Not convinced about Qs death, since it's offscreen we never see it, therefore it could just be some test by the continuum.

Borg Lite could be interesting if handled correctly in the future, once we keep some Coca Cola Borg around.

S3 is already filmed but if it goes down the S2 route, I'm not sure I'd watch it tbh.

I felt the 'Khan' thing was a bit on the nose. 'Project Neitzsche / Augment' something else would have sounded better.

Think this is my second or third post about the finale, but definitely have mixed feelings on it.

Although I liked Picard gave Q a hug.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I liked it but im sentimental by nature. I loved Q saying "Even God's have favorites"

Why Is Q dying?

So was the whole thing set up by Q to help Picard deal with the past??

It's a direct continuation of this season, filmed right afterwards, using same limitless list of producers and writers.

It's basically part B of season 2.

It'll be the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Acosta

More than any other reason I watched this turd of a show so I could laugh along to the Redlettermedia reviews. They've decided to no longer do star trek reviews because they don't want to be responsible for people watching it.

They should have done that ages back. All the angry neckbeards should have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

RLM are about as far from angry neckbeards as you could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It was... Fine. I enjoyed Wesley's cameo (but don't want a spin-off of Wesley's wacky adventures through space and time) and sorry to see Rios go. I enjoyed his character a lot (I thought initially that he would be a one note Han Solo ripoff). Thought he was the most human this season.

But the end? Yeah, could have done without the whole "Right, now you're back let's save the quadrant in five mins"...bit. plus, thought Jurati just looked silly. Because of the makeup and clothing it looked like they had (very) poorly superimposed her face into a dummy body.

The season started well and then faded (as did season one). Orla Brady was great but I'm aware that that may be bias. And Jon DeLancie was also great.

I'm glad we are getting one last season. Make it a TNG farewell and let's never see any of them again apart from Riker rare cameos in Lower Decks (He's hilariously OTT Riker-mode in that)

Edit: Fixed some phone autocorrects and typos

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I too was fine with the Wes cameo. Only point I'd raise though is because Wil Wheaton's Riker esque face is so well known to fandom, couldn't someone have asked him to shave off the beard so as to distinguish him closer to Mr Crusher? If it's anything like mine it'd be grown back within the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,256 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

After a promising first episode or two, that was pretty immensely disappointing. Almost all stories, big and small, end up a convoluted nonsensical mess of disparate things all just haphazardly smushed together. Just so so poorly written and assembled, who the bejesus is hiring and paying these people!?

Some of the basic concepts could've been interesting enough if massively tightened up and repurposed as a single episode idea, or maaaybe a two-parter, but no more than that. Like a Tapestry meets Future's End sort of thing. But as a season - a whole bloody season! - just horrible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It shows how wonderfully recalibration works. If you put such a sh1t show together that it lowers your expectations so much that the finale appeared OK. It wasn't but it was way better than the rest of the season. This however does not mean it was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I have this pet theory that Q really wanted Picard to get together with Laris.

He spoke a lot of missed opportunities and not ending up alone and the fact that it was deliberately kept obscure at the end if they did hook up really points towards this in my mind. Who else here jumped up and yelled at the screen "KISS HER YOU FOOL!" in the first episode of the season?

And really love the fact that Raffi and Seven got together.

I certainly not a fan of romance movies, but I am always a sucker for a good love story with a happy ending. 😁

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

To think that between 4 and 7 years ago this room of writers showed that they still loved Trek and easily could have been tempted back.

But, NOPE, let's line pockets of 2 dozen hacks instead who seemed to get their Trek knowledge from the IMDb Trivia section

Did I miss a bit where the whole Q Continuum died before Q (original)? If not how was Q (original) dying alone when last time we saw him he had a family. What happened to Q (female) and Q (junior) besides a GoT's D&D style "Q kind of forgot he had a family"?

It looks to me like Voyager Q was ignored.

Maybe they are all dead. Discovery said there have been no Q sightings in hundreds of years.

I liked it overall and so did seemingly a lot of critics bar the internet ones cited.

That being said I didn't think they needed Dr Soong really. Could have written around him.

Why did they need laris to play two characters?

It's not the best trek. I knew it was going to be a nostalgia trip especially with an 80 year old Picard.

I think though I have had enough of it. Two seasons is enough for me. Especially if Brent spinner is dragged up again.

Same for discovery. I will wrap up with that with season 4. Its too Burnham focused.

I will give brave new worlds a shot though.

I will go back to the expanse as a lot of people praised it here.

They did not watch critical episodes of TNG and you expect them to get Voyager references???

I doubt they even know that 7 came from Voyager

The Expanse is the best Space SciFi of the past 20 years and, yes, I put it ahead of BattleStar. BSG lost the plot (literally, I feel, at times) towards the end.

Expanse may have slow burn (ha) at times but it is consistently brilliant.

Edit: If you ever want to see how a show avoids Waif-Fu and truly makes you believe a female character can take down a room full of men, Bobbie Draper is just top-fecking-drawer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. Would have LOVED to have seen their next season of DS9 as outlined in their roundtable.

As for dragging in Brent Spiner. Yeah, it really smacked of desperation: "Hey, remember we made Data's creator have a similar name to Kahn? Welllllllll let's use the actor in everything. Those nerds will LOVE that sh*t". PLEASE don't use him in Strange New Worlds. PLEASE!

This constant re-use of the same actors/characters makes the whole universe see small and inbred. Without meaning to go on a tangent, I thought the most interesting thing about the second of the newest Star Wars movies was that Rey was NOT a Skywalker or Solo or from some other known lineage but was just a random person. It REALLY opened up the world outside of basically this single family (Of course we know what happened there)

• Advertisement

Your right about Rey and the small universe nonsense in Trek.

Advertisement