Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ThinBlueLine999

I’m attending a vetting interview this month. Has anyone any idea what I should expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paddingtonbear1333

New pay scale now on the psni website

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Anonymous4321

its just for 1 year at the minute isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kelsogi

For the pca it says to allow 1hr 50 minutes. Anyone know what this all entails ? Also is it worth doing the Familiarisation session ? Again it says allow 1 hr 50 minutes for that. Do we get to give the course a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭psnaye2023

There’s a lot of standing about. You all have to be registered then there’s a bit of time in between then they let you have 5-10 mins to try anything on the course again that you’re unsure of. Then they do it in I assume alphabetical order? So it’s 1 at a time, up to 4.30 each person and there was about 20 at mine. All you do while others do it is sit and wait outside the hall. Then there’s a bit more time while they print and envelope the results though one of the officers was pretty good at doing those in batches.

I highly recommend the session. I didn’t find the fitness element of the PCA difficult but some obstacles I feel I could have hit/failed on the day had I not tried. For example I tried to run on my honkers under the first obstacle - this didn’t work with my height. Had i just done that on the day I’d have lost time. They explain the rules etc around the different obstacles and what happens. You can complete all elements of the course though not at once/in order ie you can’t just run the whole thing. Tbh even if you could you’d struggle as there was a queue for the wall, the body drag etc.

Unless you seriously can’t make it, it’s worth a day’s annual leave to ensure you’re fully prepared for the real thing.

• Advertisement

any mention of this / future campaign in the policing board meeting today?

Oh didn’t know there was one today. Afternoon in the office sorted lol

hahah yh. Started at 11.30 and they usually go on for an hour or so

So I’m half an hour into meeting.

Can confirm;

• 34 officers in each intake April May July for a total of 102
    • PSNI await full budget settlement (which is expected by the end of April according to the Finance Minister) which will confirm recruitment for rest of FY24/25.
    • If the budget is there, the CC is aiming to recruit a full 350 this FY to maintain current headcount. So that would mean ~250 could be in this year budget depending, which would tie in with the current number going through managed stages.

It also sounds optimistic regarding a further campaign. The COO outlined that if a 3 year budget is granted next year then they would have to plan their recruitment for that period. She notes as it stands “if we were to get to next January and have the ability to recruit, we wouldn't currently have that ability to recruit in the pipeline in terms of numbers in our merit list.” So I suspect a new campaign is all but certain within the next 6 months or so.

• Advertisement

Also for anyone excited to start I managed to watch Episode 1 of Blue Lights S2 early and it’s brilliant. Perfect timing too for anyone going through the stages/appointable!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 weesmurf33

How does vetting check employment history? Anyone know?

Don’t think anyone actually knows how vetting operates for certain. Though I guess they probably look at your HMRC history which should show most jobs.

Would they not just contact the references listed? Would they really access job history with hmrc?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mse2020

I am still friends with two of my old bosses, both of them never recieved any contact from PSNI vetting, or anyone for that matter regarding me after i left, so maybe they confirmed through HMRC or just contacted the HR managers directly ?

I think references are normally obtained from HR wer possible. Wise thing to do. More likely to get a truthful answer for what matters..

Does anyone know when the 2020 campaign is due to close? Once closed is that you out? Or could you be deemed appointable but the campaign is over and therefore your beat?

the campaign will only close when the remaining people either fail a managed stage or go to GV.

Post edited by weesmurf33 on

Why would anyone do that? Seems like a gross waste of your own time and effort and you’d be without a job in between.

I doubt that this has happened.

• Advertisement

I can tell you this has happened

That was why I asked what people waiting for a place thought of it.

it would be understandable for the likes of bereavement or something. But i doubt student officers are able to drop out and join at a later date willy nilly and who would even do that anyway?

does that not contradict what you’ve previously just said?

...........…

That is not at all what that paragraph you sent says.

What they are saying there is that you can’t apply in 2020 and then expect to use your AC results for a place on 2021, you’d have to reapply.

Are you on a merit list?

• Advertisement

Advertisement