Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ah christ, now folks will have to take responsibility for their actions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

America ruined by religious fukwits. Hopefully protests will stop it.

Have to laugh at all the Irish anti-choicers celebrating it 😂 Nothing has changed here....you'll just have to mind your own business (unless you are a woman and then it's your choice)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If that's your issue, you'll have to PM me I can't PM you. I tried. It doesn't seem like the topic really. That's the last thing I'll say about your flummox here then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The irony is Ireland went down this same essential path four years ago, i.e. put the regulation of abortion under direct control of elected politicians, and it has had in practical terms the opposite effect to what it is likely to do in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

I think they're allowed to celebrate, well-intentioned, that it may reduce abortion rates, thereby protecting unborn life and all that. Would be reasonable to assume folks even internationally might approve of or cheer on that.

Did you just assume I was homosexual? I'm straight actually however I am happy my gay friend can get married here and can adopt a child should he choose to!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ham Grenade threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

America ruined by religious fuckwits?

America was created by genocidal religious fuckwits.

It's just one of those genocides we deny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

America ruined by a political system that's refused for over 50 years to legislate properly, instead delegating lawmaking on this issue effectively to the judiciary. That has bred this way of thinking and these mad strategies where well organised minorities can hold sway.

It will be interesting to see if an effective movement mobilises because of this and how much it dominates the US political agenda. There is a lot going on at the moment.

One way or the other, thankfully it is a settled question here.

Was listening to CNN earlier and Warren said get rid of the filibuster, she's dead right its the most un-democratic concept ever! no wonder every other country in the western world doesn't have one...

Dem's had the chance to vote for removing it during the trump era and they should have.

You'll never guess what they're calling this now: "Judicial Insurrection," to leak the draft.

(Hard statement to walk back if the leaker was Republican)

They have the opportunity right now but won't Manchin and Sinema, etc. already nixed that whole idea at the start of this term. It cost the Democrats several months and significant political capital to get nowhere, it only enriched those centrist Senators and made them more popular in their home states - they were getting 'seen,' etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭volchitsa

What does "based" mean? I've seen it several times lately.

Or is it a deliberate misspelling of biased? If so, why?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This was bound to happen, the court is now a majority of extreme conservatives plus a woman who was brought up in a religious cult .in the next few years there will be cases brought to ban gay marriage and maybe even to put limits on contraception.America will be like ireland in the 70s ,the laws will discriminate in favour of religious rights and against the rights of women and non religious minoritys.the problem is once a legal ruling is made in the supreme court its very hard to challenge it even it favors a religious minority that opposes womens rights .

It's like a Gen Z thing or something.

Kinda like saying "Classic Obamas," on brand, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thanks for that. I think. (I have to admit that while I thought I -sort of- understood the definition, the examples made it all a bit unclear again. Must be my age!)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Trump surrogates trying to spin this like it's Special Counsel worthy. It's not, they know it, and they even caveat their statements

“What about this marshal invrestigation? Having covered the high court for a few years I can say the Supreme Court marshal investigating you isn’t the sentence that strikes fear into the hearts of men and women,” Kelly said.

“CBS is reporting there may be an FBI investigation into who leaked this. What do you think happens from here? Who do you think actually takes the helm?” Kelly asked.

“The Chief (Justice Roberts) would’ve had the option, perhaps he still will, to appoint a council. A special council. Not in the classical criminal sense but the court can appoint a counsel and bring in a former U.S. attorney or someone with a law background,” Barr said.

“I’m sure he would get the support he needed from the FBI or any other law enforcement agency,” Barr added.

Kelly asked, “What’s the confidence that they can get to the bottom of who leaked it?”

“I think they may need a grand jury to do that, which would mean a criminal case,” Barr said bluntly.

“Wow! Why?” Kelly asked.

“To compel the truth,” Barr responded.

“People would lie to the marshal and maybe not to a prosecutor?” Kelly laughed.

“Perhaps,” Barr said.

“Is this a crime?” Kelly later asked.

“It could be obstructing the administration of justice. The due process of justice,” Barr said.

“That’s a stretch though? No?” Kelly asked.

“Obstruction means you’re attempting to influence through some kind of wrongdoing. I don’t think it’s a stretch, ” Barr concluded.

"Grand Juries" don't 'compel the truth,' a Grand Jury is the first stage of criminal indictment, where a Prosecutor presents their brief to a grand jury, who is instructed to assume that, everything the Prosecutor tells them is 100% true and to consider if a crime has been committed. Only if a Grand Jury passes along an indictment does the defendant get to represent themselves, or challenge the findings.

And his Remarks on a Special Counsel but not in the classic criminal sense, is meaningless, but I'm sure it sounded great on rush-hour talk radio. Special Counsel would be called to investigate high crimes of the white house, because the run the FBI and the DOJ; this investigation they want is investigating the possibility of a crime happening at the supreme court, an entirely separate, 3rd branch of government, which does not hold control over federal investigators in the executive branch.

Concerted efforts in the zeitgeist right now, to accuse Democrats of a crime when we don't even have a perp or a motive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Great news if true. Having done law at college, the US decision in Roe vs Wade was always to me one of the most egegregous acts of judicial activicism that had little do to with actual legal reasoning and more to do with virtue signalling via policy implementation (ref. The laws and ethics of medicene by Prof Keown). Given that Ireland had removed protections from the unborn as part of the convinction of the chattering classes that the unborn are unpeople driven in large part by seeming un-stoppable blood dimmed tide of abortion rights advocacy withs its origin in Roe, perhaps this will mark a point for the Pro-Life in Ireland to be hartened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

The filibuster is there for a reason, as is congress as is the Supreme Court As is the electoral college

together they ensure no one party or one leader can take complete control and the system maintains the Union

i hope the fcuk there are some normal democrats around Biden who can influence him, ending the filibuster, packing the Supreme Court, ending electoral college, going after guns - these crazy notions will see some states looking to secede and form a new union.

this might sound crazy, but America is built on freedom, personal responsibility and belief in God.

many people still believe the state has no business in their private lives. The dems should be careful they don’t start something they will regret

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭CptMonkey

The thing is abortions happen . But if it’s legal women don’t die. Nobody is forcing you to have one either.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So you've gone from saying you did law in college, with the only ounce of law you quoted coming from the opinion of Alito et al, to a remark about virtue signalling, then full blown anti-choice in in the space of just a few short lines.

Don't have an abortion if you don't want one. Otherwise, mind your own damn business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah there would be no abortion rights advocacy anywhere if it wasn't for the Roe v Wade judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You mean like getting what they vote for? That demented democracy?

Or Ireland where you're told to vote again when you pick the wrong option?

• Advertisement

To be fair the Irish SC has tended to shy away from the outright judicial activism, though some would argue X and C were notable exceptions. I don't know enough about the judgements myself to comment, but I suspect such arguments are leaky.

This lack of activism is only good, they, judges, are their to interpret the law not to make it. That said, I have noted the media starting to frame Irish SC appointees in a similar way to the USA - quite frankly another unwanted import. Wolfe for example was framed as a liberal voice with attention drawn to how he advocated for the thirty-sixth amendment to the constitution.

Yeah, how dare the media write stories about a lawyer's history before they sit on the highest court in the land.

And don't say they are 'starting to frame' this, there have been rows for decades here about how judges are appointed.

Anything for your weird 'Ireland is becoming like America' agenda though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if one of the justices who votes to repeal Roe v Wade takes a bullet for this

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

McConnell going all in on this angle as well

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky called the leak a "lawless action" and urged the Department of Justice to find out who was responsible and "pursue criminal charges if applicable." It's not clear what charges the Justice Department could bring.

"Last night's stunning breach was an attack on the independence of the Supreme Court. By every indication, this was yet another escalation in the radical left's ongoing campaign to bully and intimidate federal judges and substitute mob rule for the rule of law," McConnell said.

Not sure where he's getting the "Escalation by the radical left" thing.

As others have said the stronger argument suggests a leak from the Right to force the SCOTUS to go with the Alito position as any walk-back now would be viewed as "the court being swayed by public opinion and not the law".

Hard to see exactly what the left would get out of leaking now as opposed to waiting for the decision to come in June.

If it does turn out to be a right-wing person that leaked it, the GOP have made a rod for their own backs.

Also - Almost everything I've read would suggest that no laws were broken by releasing the document.

Black-listed from every law firm in the US and a law career blown up - Certainly , but no laws broken it would seem.

Black-listed from every law firm in the US and a law career blown up - Certainly , but no laws broken it would seem.

Which doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker for Republicans, they still look up to several figures in their party that have been disbarred and even convicted of crimes. Something is only a crime to the Republican Party if it injures them. Otherwise it's called Being Clever, and if they get jailed for Being Clever it's called Fascism/Deepstate etc.

• Advertisement

There have been plenty of rows over judicial appointments but Woulfes was the first that I recall in where the the idea of the judges outlook was discussed. It's usually just a bio of their big cases is all that's published.

It could've been of course because that appointment attracted a lot of attention, or that most appointments are not of former AG's where they have exercised open opinion previously - but I did note it was a little unusual.

When Peter Charleton was appointed, it was constantly spoken about that he represented the DPP in the cases for Catherine Nevin and Veronica Guerin, and indeed it was still talked about when he was appointed for the disclosures tribunal.

That's literally just one example. Whenever a judge is appointed to the Supreme Court, the media always talks about their background. The fact you can only see the example of Woulfe shows that you didn't actually care enough to pay attention before now.

Someone bless Trevor Noah and the Daily Show.

And I was reminded of this, when the cat slipped out of the bag and they openly admitted how much money they had spent, to achieve a political agenda on the supreme court.

And, this quote attributed to nobody in particular:

“Abortion” isn’t in the constitution, but neither is “9 justices on the Supreme Court” and “filibuster”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the last line of your post is irrelevant and meaningless, invalid actually as any sort of argument against their post.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I did say that the cases they were previously involved in has usually been part of the bio. What I'd never seen before was commentary on a) what they'd previously campaigned on or b) what their views on issues were.

Actually no it's very relavent if you bothered to read their post, because they're hoping that it 'hartens (sic)' the Pro-Life Community in Ireland.

When someone is clearly showing an anti-choice stance and talking about the ethics of abortion and 'virtue-signalling' (f*ck right off with that, seriously), then the last line of my post is very, very relavent. Sorry you don't like it but, as I said, don't worry about what other people are doing with the assistance and guidance of their doctor instead of some busy-body who wants to force what they want on other people, and then throw them under the bus when the 'unborn' becomes 'born'.

The anti-choice group wanted to force women who were raped to keep their children here. They said otherwise but they offered absolutely no legally-sound suggestion as to how this would work and shrugged their shoulders saying it wasn't up for them to do that.

Don't have an abortion if you don't want one. Otherwise, mind your own business. That goes for the anti-choice community as well. Look after your own affairs and don't dive nose-first into other people's medical needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Manach you were either unusually excited writing this post, or just very tired 😁

On the subject of the thread itself, it was only a matter of time before a breach of confidentiality like this was bound to happen for the leakers own personal gain. Whether it was merely for financial gain or motivated by altruism, I doubt we’ll ever know.

It’s not Chelsea Manning levels of leakage, but I’d imagine this incident will lead to a closer examination of law students opportunities for undertaking unpaid internships at the US Supreme Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

At this stage, why don't they just secede and create their own Gilead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Wow you did law at college. Why don't you give us more of your insightful unbiased opinion.

Is chattering classes a legal term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maybe people should wait for the actual court decision.

There hasn't even been a decision and liberals are acting like the ownership level is at least an 8/10 with this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Conservativism really is a morally bankrupt ideology. Nothing more than bigotry, deceit, venality, & cruelty. There's literally nothing else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I used the term "bigotry" as a catch-all. Otherwise, I'd have to go through a load of isms, phobias and of course misogyny.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I see the old mob violence is winding up again in time for an election. Presumably this time, we'll see it condemned without caveat by Americas media, politicians and the law and order lads on here. With strong steps taken to prosecute the perpetrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I see the "ew men don't have a right to an opinion on womens bodies" crew are alive and well on twitter.

Abortion is not just involving a woman. A woman didn't get pregnant by themselves.

Maybe the women would have have a different tune if all the men involved in medicine relating to women's health care refused to take part any more. See how much they don't want men near them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

it does sound crazy, they are there to keep the status quo and ensure those in power stay there by stopping change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The US is far more religious than you'd think at first glance. I was surprised myself. Checked out the dating sites before I went there once and many of them describe themselves as god fearing. It's weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

it depends where you go

much like ireland, you wouldnt outwardly think that ireland was so into country music, but it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement