Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New patio is falling towards house..

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

any new photos of the 'fixed' patio? and of the overall job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

When its done done done - cleaned up etc. Ill update thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

From the info supplied in this thread and the other thread you started in legal discussion it seems you agreed a cash price with a handy man, budget was tight and you wanted a patio without having to pay vat and what you've got is a handy man with a helper or 2 who you heard could do it, I'm not blaming you but you went into this with eyes wide open

Did you get 2 or 3 quotes for labour?

Did you look at other work they had done in the area?

No genuine tradesman can take a job that goes on for a month for cash only.

i feel sorry for you op but I think you wanted a cheap job and that's exactly what you're getting, Nevertheless I hope you get a good result from him, cash or not he sounds like an asshole, this would go a lot smoother if you'd even done a half and half deal for payment, best of luck with it

I think this thread is a very useful resource or at least lesson for those considering getting a patio- so thanks for the OP for starting it.

A few observations from my own experience that might help others embarking on their own patio build -

1. Ground clearance and preparation can take some time- and this means cost- ESPECIALLY if you want the area around the new patio nicely landscaped - it’s all work
    2. So when getting a quote, consider the state of not just the patio size itself but the area around the patio that you want to make nice and just how much you’re asking your builder to do
    3. You may need to have some of the path dug up or old steps demolished and new steps created - again time effort and cost here
    4. Get a number of quotes- I found that I ruled people in/out by simply meeting them - it’s amazing what you can glean from a person over a 25 minute consultation - their subsequent quote (a figure just texted to me) proved to me that they weren’t right for me
    5. Whatever figure is on your head, add 25% 😂- it’s just the way things are right now
    6. If someone can start next week- I wouldn’t employ them- all the good guys have 3 months business on their books right now and are booked up well into autumn
    7. You won’t necessarily “save” money on getting a smaller patio - but you could get a larger patio for not much more money if the site is in good condition and very little work outside of the patio area is required (ie old lawn and soil removal, hedge removal, steps from back door to be redone etc etc ) - in other words, don’t belittle the level of work required to get your ground and surrounding areas ready for a patio -if there’s major additional work required to clear the site then that’s eating into your planned budget so wake up to that fact- it can become expensive because of this additional work - you’re not just getting a patio, you’re getting a patio AND some landscaping done-consider some handy men to do that clearance work - they likely won’t do any damage if it’s just dumping soil etc into a skip and save your money for the skilled builder - or do that part yourself if you can
    8. Finally set the patio size to your needs- there’s no point in covering 1/2 your garden in concrete/tiles if you won’t use it all - consider part patio part grass etc

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This is all great advice but ignores the human aspect. It is a mini achievement getting 1 tradesman out to give you a quote and then a huge achievement if he actually turns up to do the job. Trying to organise 3 quotes would be very difficult

I was going on experience- I did get 3 quotes 😛

I guess it depends where you are in the country and the local skills available there so yeah, I hear ya - but I would advise people to persevere - the 3rd guy who visited and quoted was the person I went for.

I wouldn’t have gone with either of the other two this year and would have just written off the idea until the right person came along- it’s too much money anyway but if they do a sh1t job it’s essentially double that again to get it all redone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait til you hire an amateur etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭standardg60

Getting someone recommended or seeing their work in person (and both best after job has been completed for some time as this is the only real test) is really the best option.

If you're clued in enough you can get a 'feel' that someone is right for the job and that's great, but unfortunately a lot fall for the binder of 'pics', website, or the enthusiastic spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes a relative of mine got a builder in to do an extension in Dublin a few years back.

He had the sign written van, a lovely line of crap about his management team and a dedicated point of contact etc and really sold himself day one.

Contract was signed and after that there was no contact person to speak to. Trades came and went, ignored spec and basically shrugged shoulders when asked.

Job was finished to poor standard with multiple extras billed also. Cost alot to put it right 2 years down the line. Windows leaking, external door catching due to frame being installed out of square, cracks all over etc.

Definitely people should only go with known contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ah jeepers one could build a small house in the length of time this patio is taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Xander10

No update from OP. I fear this might be still, work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Or the fall is gone too much the other way and has to be fixed again

No wonder Dublin airport is in chaos, this lad needs to finish up and get back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

In fairness he probably did many years of sterling service there before being ruthlessly replaced by modern technology

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If any hard surface runs towards a house it needs a full channel drain connected to a proper waster water drain. But it's only a requirement if you can't design the problem out first. Sounds like person is not qualified to do this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

This chap would make a balls of being unemployed he’s that bad

• Advertisement

Has any money passed hands since the OP. As bad as that was (still technically in this decade) - if you are still giving them money they are royally screwing you over. I presume you've stopped paying them, but can't see how they could STILL be working on your patio.

Advertisement