Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 4) Headfort Championship (21st May 1010 hrs - 1130 hrs.)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Thanks to the committee for arranging a great track to test out our golfing ability again. Congrats to the winner with an outstanding score. No post round PM from me don't want to think about it as there were very few highlights detailed in a very particular order,

The company, no way I'd have stuck at it if it wasn't for you lads. Time seemed to fly by, I find playing poor golf time sometimes drags but not so on Saturday.

The course, was magnificent and as kevs_88 noted during the round was incredibly photogenic.

Taking the tiger line on 10, then taking the extreme tigerline and realising I may not have been wise to go over the trees then finding my ball 40yds shy of the green. Put a bit of a pep in my step for a hole and a bit. Crashed back to earth on 12 though.

Missing greystones but see you all on the next trip to tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

A couple of shots from the only time my phone left the bag, the 16th.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Break 80 also had this lovely lie in the bunker on the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

If only break could have added this to his woes. Twas mine. Shattons got off lightly.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Sorry for the late post. Glad to come back to one of my favourite courses in the island. Cracking course and great company. My round started ok but in the second hole my head blew off and I struggled to come back into my game. Not bad 32 points with 4 scratches 😪, had 2 four pointers in a row followed by a 3 pointer and a scratch with 4 putts from 15 feet.

Looking forward to the next, that tbh I don't know when I will be able to join you again as there is plenty of travel in the next 4 months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sorry, it was indeed one of yours. Good thing as well, as it might have broken break 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Break80

I think Kilth got my round mixed up up with our third playing partner Bakerboy who had a steady round.

I was the one who had the nightmare round. Split the fairway with my first drive, parred the index 1, parred another hole, had a birdie chip defie the law of gravity and left a par putt short on the 18th and that my friends are the highlights of my round.

I won't get into the lowlights as there could be some sensitive souls on here and I don't want the guilt of traumatising anyone for life.

Played Dooks on the Thursday, stayed in Killarney that night of course done the dog with the pints and played Ballybunion Friday. Tough wind both days. Got home 11pm Friday night and back on the road at 6.30 for a 3 hr drive to Headford.

FFS if I was 30 yrs younger this would be a big ask. I am convinced the male brain stops ageing at 25 but the body keeps going.

Oddly enough I enjoyed the day. Course was spectacular, Kilth and Bakerboy were great company all day long and it was great to catch up with everyone in the bar after even though I had to hand over the fivers again.

After the glory of Carlon and disasters of Nenagh and Headford I am after tumbling down the top 10 for Ryder Jug so thats the target for my year. Make the team and FFS cop youself on and act your age.

Break 80

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Concerned2

Awfully slow in putting in an update, any later it would do for the next outing ! I played in the last group out with FixdePitchMark , SwedeMonkey and Scubapro. The pace of play was brilliant, you'd expect at the tail end of a society we would get held up along the way but there was never a delay and we didn't have anyone breathing down our necks either.

Headford is a fabulous golf course. Definitely the best fairways (although I rarely got to use those) and greens on our society rota so far this year. The weather was good too so everything was aligned for some good golf to be played. I have been playing poorly in practice rounds so I wasn't confident coming in and indeed I had a very poor day of ball striking. I didn't hit a decent iron the whole day and my driving was shaky throughout. I'm not going to give a hole by hole breakdown , maybe I'm showing my age or I just hit so many shots I can't actually recall every hole !

I really love watching good players up close to see how they plot their way around the course and that role fell to Fix. He has the most incredible penetrating low ball flight that is perfect for playing in typical Irish weather (i.e. windy ). Fix you mentioned in a post above you are trying to get some height in your shots but it's such a weapon into the wind I would leave well alone ( & remember what happened to Rory when he tried to change his swing ! ).

Outside of Fix the rest of us had a mixed bag of a day. Swedemonkey (interesting story behind that user name !) had a slow start and damaging closing few holes but for a stretch of about 12 holes in the middle played really well. His irons absolutely soar in the air. It was like the polar opposite of Fixs ball flight. When Swede puts a complete 18 holes together he is going to take some beating.

Scuabpro had a bit of rust in his game to shake off but there were enough good shots there to tell he has a lot of potential.

Congrats to Richie , 41 points is a great score around a tough track. Cheers again to the committee on another brilliant event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Really enjoyed reading through the posts as always. Headfort was a cracking test and I'm still trying not to be too annoyed with how I played.

Looking forward to Greystones and a pint or two afterwards already. Steady golf will be the order of the day there.

Anyway on to the main event Stinger Golf post of the outing....

@Snackbox20

@Snackbox20

Not to encourage the sh1tting on other posters usernames, but Shattons will live long in the memory. I'm not sure how you can blame autocorrect for that one, but we'll stick to that story 😉 Enjoy your new bamboo polo Snackbox!

Our other from this outing with the best post-round postmortem is...... @slave1

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like the detailed breakdown of the round. You were close here Kiith, but you can't not know what you did on a hole, rookie error here, maybe bring a notebook with you next time 😉

Fix will decide your prize Slave, based on how much he likes you, or more likely how delegable you are and considering your trip to Tullamore, you could be in luck! 😄

See everyone soon, slán go fóill!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great posts guys - catch all in Greystones or at another outing for the prizes.

Mods can at last - un sticky a boards golf society thread.

Catch all at next outing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Snackbox20

@The Big Easy 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Ahhhhh thanks a million for that, but I think @hattons should take the prize.

Delighted with that lads, thanks a million 💚

Advertisement