Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 4) Headfort Championship (21st May 1010 hrs - 1130 hrs.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Headfort is a cracking course, greens in proper order!

Well done Ritchie that's a great score around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Firstly apologies for racing away after the round but needed to get back on the road ASAP.

Just in the door now after a long day. Waking at 6 am doesn't help the mind play good golf.

Headfort championship is a cracker of a course. I wish I had left an hour earlier just to soak in the place and try few shots on the short game area but arriving and only hitting 4 putts before starting out isn't ideal.

Definitely a course I will return to but as a newbie to it I had reserved myself to hopefully breaking 30 points. Lines off tees is crucial to achieving a score, and each of my 4 ball can attest to that on the first 3 holes. The 3rd especially so as all of us drove left only to be shut out by trees.

Scratching the first 3 holes had me wishing I probably should of stayed in bed. Then I kinda woke up but turning with 12 was just not good enough. A big drive on longest drive had a smile on my face especially with most of the big hitters in front of me only to find out it wasn't our hole when we got to 18. Note to self read the title not the names lol looking at you pakman.

Driving poor.

Irons weak.

Putting was only part that I could hold my head up on.

The lads big easy, jarrita and big chap were great to play with but none of us will say it was class golf played (bar jarrieta taking 11 points on a 3 hole run.)

Well done to fix, space and committee for another cracking pick for a boards outing. Won't make greystones but hope to see the rest of the season through.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks a million Space and BohToffee , getting the results up so quickly and also as I walked off the course, literally everything was done - amazing.

That was definitely one of my most enjoyable Boards outings in years. I even enjoyed being captain , Just everything about the atmosphere, the weather, the course, the build up. You could see the smiles and excitement on the faces of people as they arrived. You just had to look out the window and go - what Royal land, what a set up.

I played with the winner of our last outing Concerned2 - a serious ball striker Swededmonkey - and a visitor and founding member of the golf society Scubapro. It is kind of mad that I now know him 10 years and all from an online society.

From the off you could see the course was not about banging the ball around the place and you had to think about the line of every hole on the front 9. Knowing the way the green runs would be a big advantage around the course - so we began to see how, if you were on the wrong side of the green you were facing a 3 putt.

Whilst the rough is very short - visually the course is very intimating off the tee - I definitely played holes better, when I hit a 3 wood - the driver was poor enough today - normally a strong point.

We were all very impressed with how good concerned was around the greens. Swededmonkey is a powerfull ball striker , with an extraordinary high ball flight. lovely to watch when he catches them.

Scubabpro only coming back to the game after a busy few years off the course. But he got it going better on the back nine.

I felt there was a big score out there today - but the course held up reasonably well considering we were forward. I had played with Richie this year and it was clear he had a big score in him. After the round, Richie told me he had played the course a good bit - and course knowledge plays a part there. A great round.

There was a bit of fun at the prize giving - it genuinely is hard to give golfers who play a bit, prizes - they don't really need anything,. So we will probably go the voucher route more next time. I will add - that the society is not about big massive prizes and at the end of the day - all the money goes back towards , the jug team outing, captains weekend - and the society going forward. There are efforts at every turn to keep costs low and the society strong.

So it was lovely to hit another new spot - it was probably a great example of how much more has to be discovered in the M2 and M3 areas. I have to say the staff all over Headfort were top class.

Can I please finish off by thanking every single person there today - not one complaint, great time keeping , great pace of play. It was also great to see the clubhouse full as I got in.

The year is 1/2 over and I'm actually getting into this now. Today was the first outing I actually did something. It was a long day for many - but you could see the satisfaction in all.

Well done to all the winners - and a particular mention for r1986 for winning back to back gross - we need to get someone to get him. Great golf. Seorg - Alanm - Doublecross - anyone else that can give him a push. (Shane - Padraig - Our own Tiger) - are ye out there.

For a while I felt I could win everything - but in the end, typically, won nothing - I'm hoping to make Jug team on my own steam and today was a good move for me. I hit the ball great - but just ended up on the wrong side of the greens a few times. Rather bizarrely I did win the Harry Byrnes (pub) - golf society, long drive - I beat Ciano in that event too 😂 - was a great dive by me and him - just wrong hole and society.

Thanks again all - that one was good for the soul - and perhaps we are finally washing covid life out of our blurred minds.

I at last shut up at the end - and that was a lovely winning speech Richie.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

Most balls in the water won by Break 80 (7) , a winner of an event this year - hopefully the Commando balls are better in swampland.

After an epic few days - our tough Cork man coming off the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Snackbox20

The photo on top is watching the pro's do it and the other two were two quick pics I took while out in the course today. I agree with everybody so far that the course was in great condition, really enjoyed it out there and everything from the pro shop to the clubhouse were top class. My day was not eventful but it had its moments. I break it down between journey and golf. I had a 2.5 hour spin today coming from cider town and I wasn't on the road 5 minutes when I got the lámh sa spéire of a female Garda as she was setting up a checkpoint, this was 7:20 am. "You're my first customer today, had a few drinks last night?" (Thankfully I didn't settle my nerves with one of my whiskies 😮‍💨) anyhoo, passing the breathalyser, the Garda says to me take the plastic tube as a souvenir to show your fellow golfers 🤣🤣. Following Google maps up the M8, M7, and M3 were a doddle and the place was so easy to find. I was well impressed driving in. I was teeing off with Pakman,hattons, and linoritchie. I was briefly saying hello to linoritchie not knowing I would be playing with him, I was though convinced I was saying hello to doublecross 🤔🤔. Met Cedar too and had a chat on had we a game plan for today, it was just a case of keeping on the fairway. Time was starting to eek and I got lost getting to the first tee, apologies to my playing partners as I saw that they had teed off and I was jogging across to the tee box.

My golf was a gone off bag of dolly mixtures, on the first I had in my head because of all the notes, the 3w is the club, but having no warm up, big stick out, boom nicely on the left side. When I was on for my third and putting for par , 😲😲😲, my putting all day was like a heart monitor, I had so many 1 pointers and even had a 9 and a 10 on holes 🤦🤦🤦. My only highlight was a chip in for a birdie on the 11th. I was very happy with my driver and hybrid and irons for 2nd and 3rd shots, just my putter 😔😔. Had the pleasure of playing with Pakman, (I think it is our 3rd outing out now), hattons, and linoritchie. Great company on the course, great laughs too. Some great shots off the tee from Pakman especially on the front 9 and you hit one definite approach that you had a birdie or two on for. I think you got 2 birdies today.

I had another 6 degrees round as hattons and myself both had a common link to where shatton works and I went to school with one of his cousins sons, small world. Both hattons and linoritchie played here a number of times and Ritchie gave some helpful course knowledge on a few holes. Ritchie was a worthy winner with some great golf played, I loved watching his trajectory off his tee shots, 41 was a great score.

A really enjoyable day and fair play to the committee for picking this course, congrats to linoritchie and the other winners today too, even big easy, that towel had a 5 star pile to it 🤣🤣.

Looking forward to next outing in Greystones, now early night shotgun start at 09:00 in the morning, big comp tomorrow.

Oiche Mhaith golfers.

Post edited by Snackbox20 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sorry Snackbox, isn't your playing partners name Hattons, rather than Shatton...

I was reading it going Shatton...he shat on what 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

It was a pleasure to enjoy your company today

a great 4ball enjoy tomorrow

see you in greystones😴😴

Richie - we are going to need a full round report - basically - nearly a page long.

😄

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

😂😂😂 Looking back at my scorecard you'd think I "shat(t)on" something.

Fantastic course and the weather and company made it.

There was a good battle between pakman and linoritchie, two good rounds of golf, well done both. We knew Richie was close, prompting him once or twice during the round to have a speech ready. Congrats Ritchie.

Snackbox20, it sure is a small world, we had moments of good golf and your handicap will fly down when you work on the putting.

Well done FixdePitchmark, you're as good a captain as I've seen before. Great job. The comments on cards were great.

How does one change a username 🤔?

Post edited by Manhatton on

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

First off, headfort is a cracking course, really enjoyed it throughout. No two holes are the same and present a different challenge especially off the tee. I didn't bring my best today (seems to be a trend forming here 😃), but had the company of a group that enjoyed the game and well capable of having the craic. There was solid golf from concerned2 who really showed why he won in nenagh with great putting and didn't do a whole pile wrong all day. Fix with 3 birdies did very little wrong all day and came in with a solid score. On the whole, i felt I played better despite my score but when you lose 6 balls it's never going to be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Thanks everyone for a great day out. Special thanks to Jarietta for collecting me and giving me a very comfortable spin up in the Tesla. He got to meet my partner, son and dog in the front garden as I finished my porridge 😬 Sorry Fixde, can't take all the credit for my improved timekeeping yesterday 😅 My golf watch was collateral damage of my unpreparedness, I had it charging but forgot to put it on. Jarietta graciously lent me his laser so I was all set again.

Parred the first two and was dreaming of a score in the 40s. Pulled a 3 wood in the trees left on 1, chipped out sideways, PW to 12 foot and rolled in the putt for one of my better pars. More standard par on the second, 3 wood seven iron, not having the watch cost me here as I miss clubbed having the same distance as 1 but not realizing, surprised myself with a lovely chip to about 18 inches.

Level par on the 3rd tee had me dreaming of my best round ever (that didn't last). A good 3 wood slightly pulled, now off the whites I may have had driver out by now 😉, left me slightly blocked out from the green with the big tree on the left. Still had a shot, but the old deeply ingrained neuro-pathway at the top of the backswing fired and screamed "hit it hard" ala Big John. Drag pull left into the water, first scratch and the worm had turned.

Myself and Jarrieta had discussed rhythm most of the way to Kells, both being strong proponents of the pull. He even has his own rhythm stick which is a whole other level. Anyway Jarrieta's rhythm lasted one hole, mine two, it would reappear for Jarrieta on the back 9 with that golden run of 11 points in 3 holes and lovely iron into 17 just under the hole and snagging an impressive 21 on the back.

Pulled my iron on 4 slightly and was rewarded with a horrid downhill plugged lie with water long, made a good 4 and thought maybe it could still be my day. Out with the big stick for the first time on 5 and with an extra shot in the back pocket, thinking 3 for 5 would really get things goings. Neurons fired again, tried to muller it, half topped into the water inf front of the tee. Second ball in the water and beginning to think maybe it's time to change strategy for the water prize!

Another pulled drive on 7, and the bunker gods were really out to get me. Up against the face of the smallest bunker on the left side and got a lovely sand-bath in advancing it 5 yards. Just short of the green on 7, having not got all of it, probably fortunate not to roll back into the water. Hit an incredible side-winding putt that looked like it was going to turn hard left into the cup at the end, still a pleasing tap-in par. Pulled another 3 wood into the bunker left on 9, thought I'd hit a decent bunker shot, but somehow with the wind and another pull it caught the end of the reeds.

In my scrambled state and unsure if my ball made it through the reeds, I hit provisional out of the bunker into the water. Then found my ball in the reeds, maybe a rules officiando could clear this one up for me? Should I not have hot a provisional as it was a water hazard (I know I shouldn't have but wasn't thinking clearly), I mean once I had, was it then in play because I wasn't entitled to hit it in the first place? Once I then found my original ball, what were my options could I have dropped the far side of the hazard, replayed again from the bunker? Indeed up playing it as it lied (which was pretty ropey in amongst the reeds), just about got it out and then three putted to scratch anyway! Miserable 15 on the front after the good start.

Another pulled 3 wood on 10, noticing a trend here, and landed it inches short of the beautiful azaleas, rhododendrons? Not a flower buff, so again open to correction. Rickie's Tache was capturing the moment here, not sure if he expected me to play a miracle shot onto the green. I was more worried about getting stung by the nettles in my shorts so cautiously chipped out for another well-crafted scratch.

Good up and down on 11 for par, good drive on 12, PW into the middle of the green for my second, but even with my course knowledge, didn't get it all the way back to the pin and it tricked back to the front, frustrating three-putt followed as I was beginning to think I could get back towards level 2s again. My other extra shot was up next, so again thinking come on, 4 for 4, suitably recalibrating expectations! Good drive down the right rough, a little behind the wrong long drive 😉 Hit a good, but optimistic, 9-iron up the hill just short of the false front. Hit a terrible chip, knowing about the severe slope. Lipped out frustratingly for par, was just going to be one of those days unfortunately.

Good par on 14, so-so drive, great hybrid second from the right rough on 15 to the front edge of the green. Horror skulled chip and this is where all feel left my body for the remaining holes. Fluffed the next from the rough above the hole, 1 point. Bit of a slice on 16, but inexplicably couldn't find it on the rough. Nice long walk down to the 17th from there! 😄 It really is a beautiful course and a saving grace for when you're not playing well to look around and soak it up.

Slight pull on 17 but a good shot to the left fringe. Pitchmark made putting not really an option, so out came the hands of stone to whack it all the way across the green, three-putt, 1 point. Didn't intend doing a full run-through on the phone, but here I am now. Ok drive on 18, weather got a bit rough here briefly, hit an 8-iron into the wind and rain, but left the face open slightly to miss short right. Another thinned pitch, another 1 pointer.

I was saying to the lads that Headfort is the ultimate course where you want to go straight out again thinking you'll make a much better fist of it the next time. Big Chap didn't have his best day on the course either, but we all enjoyed the round anyway and a bit of craic in the bar after. Thanks for the towel Fixde, finally got that sand out when I reached my Mum's and had a beautiful white fluffy towel to cheer me up after! 😛

Didn't get to catch up with everyone properly after, but hopefully will be ample time for that in Greystones. Anyway enough avoiding the mother and it's back to the pro for me next week.

PS: I know I can't win the polo 😉

🤦🤦🤦, better edit the post quick 😲😲😲

@hattons , sincere apologies for that awful mistype in my post mortem, but those changes have no been edited 🤦🤦🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Really impressed the headfort new yesterday. I had played it a few times previously but it was typically in spring or autumn time. With summer conditions yesterday I thought the all aspects of the course were superb. Woodg was going nicely on the front 9 but the wheels came of with a couple of scratches at the end of the back 9. Kevin and myself had a few too many balls in the drink to get anything going. Tiger played well tee to green but it was not his day on the greens! Sorry I had to rush off but I was lucky to get out and had to be back sharpish. Looking forward to Greystones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

Congrats to all involved it’s a great society

Headford one my favourite courses, got the bit of luck you need to win.

Parred the first, Put my drive in to the trees on the second and got the ricochet out onto the fairway, luck is in, a bogey from there , third double bogey wrong side of green , fourth good 8 iron to middle of green 2 putts a par, fifth good drive 6 iron to edge of green a good chip and 2 putts, sixth good drive caught the hill and got the kick down 4 iron and a wedge to the green lipped the putt for birdie tap in par, seventh heavy 8 iron in the bunker chip out 4 putts very tricky pin position , eight block out of drive chip out and wedge to green poor first putt got luck with the second ,ninth good drive pulled my second right and high treacherous chip down hill and off the green a good putt and a tap in boggy

On to the back nine , got a good up and down from the bunker, tenth a great par 3 ,can’t feel the wind between the trees. All between clubs me and Pac-Man hit an 8, I’m on the green he is pin high a hard chip gets up and down. I 2 putt. Thirteen, me and snack box down the middle , pacman and Hattons in the trees a chip out for them , snack hits a 7 iron to the edge of green, I hit the same to the middle of green, snack box to go first, yes he chips in CLASS. I’m next, I slot the putt 2 birdies, 11 longest drive packman puts his name down , standing on the green only to see his drive beaten by 70-80 yards awesome not knowing it wasn’t the boards longest drive a boggy on to the next hole great par 5 was short in 3 got lucky hit a flop shot and caught the hill and the ball rolled down for a tap in 😂fifteen hard hole into the wind good drive and a 4 iron still short chip and two putts , sixteen do you cut the corner or play safe I was a chicken played safe 3 wood up and wedge into bunker chip out and 2 puts last par 3 the wind is into our face extra club short but below the hole good chip and putt , on to the last a bit easier off the yellow still a hell of a hole good drive and a **** 6 iron to the left hood chip and a bad putt the last putt down the hill and in.

One of my better days on the golf course, great 4ball thanks lads

See ye in Greystones 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Great day on a fabulous course. Congrats to Richiemaloney on what was a briliant round. I was marking the card and didn't want to jinx anything so stayed quiet, but there was some great scoring going on. It was only my second time playing the course after Pierce Purcell last year and I had forgotten just how good it was. The whole place is beautifully kept and lots of great holes. I started out good with a par on the first and put my third shot on the 2nd to within about a foot to secure an easy birdie. Some inconsistency with the irons had me dropping shots with one in the water early on and a few lost to the Ents later in the round. The fabulous greens out there meant putts kept their line really well so managed a few uncharacteristic putts from distance to keep the scorecard alive. Snackbox should have had 15 more points if his putter was behaving but it wasn't to be and the newly christened (s)hatton was a class golfer. A casual 4 iron on the 18th hammered down to just in front of the green showed it off.

Apologies for running off without a nod to the winner but after three days of golf back to back I had to get home to make sure the wife still lived there. Looking forward to Greystones next and possibly some pints in the aftermath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Really impressed with the course. Greens were savage. Can't wait to get back there again. Great course selection. How have I not played here before!

I felt like I played terrible, had a couple more sha*ks, 4-putted from about 15 feet on the nearest-the-pin par three after a good shot in, turning a birdy putt into another scratch. Lost the head for the next few holes spraying balls in anger. Sadly the highlight was probably hitting some really nice provisional shots on the day. Somehow when I added everything up at the end it equalled 32 which I can't quite understand because it felt far worse than that. I think I birdied with the provo at least once on a shot hole which kept the scorecard from showing how bad it really was. I laid up on a par 5 when the green was technically in range. This smart play was witnessed by my playing partners. Layup it's not something I've previously been capable of, so it was good to get that done. (I duffed the next shot into the bunker and made a balls of the bunker shot so the layup was pointless -but look, baby steps and all that)

Played with spacecoyote, slave1, and oops-forgets-boards-name (will come back and edit later). Space should/could have won this thing. His opening 7 holes were a clinic in how to do literally everything right. It conflicted hard with what I was doing! Somehow I've never played with Slave1 before. He has a complete game and is steady and thoughtful. Under trees at one point he had an unfortunate fresh-air, called it immediately and scratched the hole over it. Can vouch for his honesty. I suppose the only advice I feel I can add to slave1's game would be that as a main sequence star, earth's star fuses hydrogen and has a balance of outward pressure from core nuclear fusion and gravitational forces pushing inwards. It's very bright. Best not to laser rangefinder it again. Lastly oops-forgets-boards-name [come back and edit!] was a gent, as it happens I do remember his real actual name but not his boards name. Steady eddie. That's not his real or boards name, but more a description of his game. Finding a bunker on every hole on the course slightly hampered things for him, but the craic was had. Really enjoyable round. Looking forward to greystones and bit more craic afterwards. Very thoughtful, funny descriptions on each of the scorecards was a very nice personal touch from fix. I'll have to play one of the rounds actually with him while he's captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A class day out, as per usual, with the Boards crew. Thought I was on for a big score, but a few slight glitches put paid to it. Out in the first group of the day (this Fix delegation thing is putting the pressure on me to be out early so I can let him work the room quickly when he gets in 😀 I guess they say that the sign of a good manager is effective delegation and avoiding micro-managing!)

Caught up with the starter on the first tee, and he told us, 7th for NTP & 18th for LD. We said, great, no problem, can you make sure you tell every group coming through, as the cards were written up and we hadn't marked the holes. "Yes of course I will" he said. Did he though, apparently not, given the NTP sign came in with a Big Boards Logo across the top of it, but the LD came in with "HARRY BYRNES" written across the top of it. The poor Harry Byrnes society are probably still trying to figure out what hole they should be driving on, and I wonder if they got their deposit back for the disappearing sign (I imagine Fix probably re-invested their deposit into the society coffers, so every cloud...) With the LD abandoned out on the 18th Fairway, Roadrunner went running to collect, as he had hit a cracker on the hole that I would have been very surprised to see beaten.

Great company on the day from Roadrunner, Slave1 & Gypsy79. All of us had pretty differing rounds.

Roadrunner, in his typical manner was launching bombs from the off. Unfortunately, early on, some of those bombs were slightly too far offline, so he was chasing his tail. Played a great 9th hole, with a precision lay up off the tee, about a yard short of the hazard 😉, a great wedge in and solid birdie putt to put a bit of shine onto his front 9. Then launched a bomb off the tee on 10, starting it straight over the trees to leave himself maybe a 40 yard pitch to the green. He kept up the pace on the back 9 to add some respectability to his score and keep himself at the business end of the GOTY table.

Slave1, is steady as they come. His driving has come on really nicely since I last played with him and he's gained a few yards. Joining a club looks to be making a difference and his scoring was consistent throughout. Had some nice knowledge of the course, having played a few times and was very helpful with giving us some good lines off the tee and flagging any risks at the back of greens.

Gypsy79, I feel, was probably too busy worrying about hosting his mates for a BBQ that evening, so was feeling a bit rushed. I've played with him a couple of times before & his driving is the making & breaking of him. Unfortunately in Headfort, it was a breaking day! Waiting the arrival of an upgrade to his irons and wedges which should make a big difference to his game. I've no doubt we'll see him up the leaderboard again soon.

As to me, as I mentioned above, I felt a big score was potentially there. Was level par through the opening 7 holes, with 3 pars, 2 bogeys, 2 birdies. One of those bogeys, was a short par putt, that wasn't pacy, but managed to do a full 360 and somehow didn't drop. One of those birdies was also, on the 7th, the NTP hole, where I stitched it to under 5ft, and made the putt for a share of the 2s. On to the 8th and I hit a perfect 3w to middle of the fairway while everyone else found trouble. Hit my first really poor strike of the day with my second, under hit a wedge appoach, then failed to get up&down and turned a perfect position to a double bogey. On 9, a poor tee shot found an awful spot, was in one of the fairway bunkers, just far enough in that I couldn't stand in to the bunker. So was standing outside, ball well below my feet. Made a decent bogey in the end on the hole to finish the 9 with 2 1-pointers, but 20 points, so was in good shape.

On the back 9 I started steady with a couple of 2 & 3 pointers and ticked along OK. But a flare right off the tee on 14 put me in a bunker no one should ever be in, and probably no one had been in for some time (based on the sand in it, soft but crunchy is the best way I could describe it). Made a meal of the hole having got myself out & back into an ok position, but compounded the error off the tee with multiple terrible shots to end up scratching the hole. Another scratch on 17, a duffed iron off the tee that did its best to skim across the water, but ran out of steam just before the end.

Pressure was on the last in our group. Myself and Slave on the same points, but with him sitting on a better back 9. Thankfully (for me) I made a good 6ft or so par putt, and slave just missed the edge for his par, so I pipped him by a point.

Back in to the clubhouse and great to see good numbers there and awaiting the prize giving. Was a nice buzz around the place...obviously a few people felt they were in the mix! As myself & Bohtoffee (thanks again for the help) input the scores into the laptop, my 35 points kept slipping & slipping further down the charts, but I can't complain about the round really. Played well, on a great course, with great company.

I think we got all of the calls right on this one. The yellow tees were perfect, enough of a challenge, but scoreable if you played well.

Well done to all the winners, great golf all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

after racing back from Kells to get to the Leinster match the in the Aviva on Satruday night, i've finally had some time to reflect on what was a decent round played in great surroundings with even better people. played with BohToffee, BallyK and Spuddy4711 and couldn't have enjoyed it more. BohToffee can certainly hit the thing a country mile. Bit of consistency and "course management" and the handicap will fall right down. Spuddy is an incredibly consistent hitter. I'd love to be able to hit a wood out of the rough like he does 😂 and BallyK was just so consistent all round and i struggled to find something I could fault (barring the few hiccup shots that everyone has)

On to my own golf and i wasn't expecting much going into this. It was actually my first round of golf since the last outing at Nenagh, life just got in the way for the last few weeks. Hit the range on Thursday just to get a feel for the swing again and that was that. Started ok on the first few, nothing spectacular but kept the points ticking away. Hit a good stretch at the from the 6th onwards going +3 over the course of the next 7 holes, including 3 straight pars on 9-11. Always feels nice to get a good run of holes like that as a 20 handicap golfer, but it feels even better when its on a course you've never played before 😀 had 30 points as we hit the 15th hole and was feeling good about putting in a decent score. But alas that was not to happen. 3 points over the last 4 holes put an end to my chances of replicating the 37 points i had in Nenagh. I think tiredness just caught up with me by the end of the round, having not played in a few weeks.

All in all though i was really happy with how the round went, and Headfort is definitely somewhere i will be going back to. Absolutely stunning course and great work to all involved in getting us out down there. and thanks again to my playing partners for making at a really enjoyable and easy going round

Some brilliant posts - looks like we could have 2 Stinger Golf Posts of The outing awards this month (so far). For people still not posting , we would appreciate as many posts as possible.

This reputation that I do nothing and I'm a figure head captain is gathering pace 😂 - I better do ****. On a serious note, I'm very conscious of the long days people have - this is part why I go on about pace of play (too much) and need the scores done as quickly as possible as I come in. Thanks again to Seve , Space, Cathal and now Bohtoffee who help in that regard. Much appreciated, as it means we can have a decent crew for presentations.

Back to my own golf - Parkland golf is a serious challenge for me, I don't have the ball flight or short game for it. But this year - being captain of what is a parkland society in reality - I set out to try alter my ball flight slightly. It is work in progress , but I seem to be making a tiny bit of progress. I'm also working on a higher lofted game around the greens and I seem to be also making slight progress. I'm never going to be a player off my handicap to be able to get into the 40s, but in fairness this weekend I seen a bit of progress and with all the stars aligned I could get 38 + this year.

This year has given me a nice focus to try qualify for jug team , and challenge myself to compete or at least get near my handicap on a few parkland courses. I'm very happy how it is going. The guys were telling me the captain doesn't typically play well over the year. So it is handy that I'm not doing anything as captain and hoping to play well 😂

On a more serious note - hoping to give Seve and Space a full day off at some point , but this is obviously conditional on me not having to do anything,.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Had to make it home early in prep for my parents 65th wedding anniversary (blue sapphire apparently) so first out and away straight afterwards.

Great company with RoadRunner, spacecoyote (very close to a cartoon clash) and Gypsy79.

It's always a laugh giving someone a high draw line off the tee as a joke but RR was not laughing and duly delivered, couple of gooey holes and as he said himself ended up with 32 after some exhibition provo shots. Space was very neat and some tasty brainy shots from time to time (have to be off that handicap) and between the two cartoonists they have mastered the art of ringing the hole for a 360 lip out. Respect to Gypsy79 who was great company despite the Golfing Gods deserting him on the day.

For someone who forgets names from before tee off until reaching the tee box I've been cursed with remembering every shot of my rounds, I can easily recall my last month of rounds which is annoying at times.

I've played the course a few times so was always going to err away from water and finally score on the 8th.

1, called and played a nice tee shot past bunker to centre of fairway, then dumped by 7iron into the RHS greenside bunker. Played a nice bunker shot but left my makeable on line putt short which annoys me. Space got the par from well back on his drive so just shows the handicap difference.

2, tugged my drive to left hand rough but no real damage as I shaved the trees with 9iron lay up and another pushed 7iron approach. I've been in that part of the course before and horrible shot in with green sloping away and water waiting for a boned wedge (I've got that shot in the bag) but managed to hold the green and sink a nice breaking putt for a par, whoo hoo

3, nice drive to centre of fairway and left a 9 in this time and left her below the hole for another makeable birdie putt, left the fooker just short but hey, tap in pars are nice, everything's going "easy" so far

4, it's a 7iron every time for me, the 7 iron I've been pushing right and there's water right (and short and long) so a little bit too much thinking of keeping it straight and I leave a loooong putt. Christy is big greens, elevation changes and fast. First putt nowhere near good enough and I shaved the hole again, putting it past for a 3putt. I just love those 3 putts.

5, vented the 3 putt with murdering the ball to centre of fairway, I'm usually a long hybrid to this green but found myself with 7iron in hand which I duly pushed way right on downslope of a hill. RR pissed his drive miles past mine. Got my boner out of the way (that's what she said) and flew ball to opposite end of Christy's mammoth green. Nice 9 iron chip and a one putt for bogey.

6, nice distance with drive but partially blocked by the large tree on the left but caught the downslope with a punched hybrid and very surprised with long roll out, I don't usually get run on the ball due to whatever way my octopus falling off a cliff swing makes contact with the ball. Thankfully a 8iron in and routine (for me) two putt for par. All is good in Cricklewood.

7, haven't seen the pin there before, delighted to find it was 7iron length, was not going to miss left into water so my ball went long into the stiff second cut. Decided to unleash my deceleration chip (sure way to avoid the water) and just progress the ball a few yards to just about make the first cut of rough. No way I'm not putting as a boner (fnarr fnarr) would leave me wet so duly putted and left it waaay short. Thankfully the ball listened to me and I escaped with a long bogey putt which I was delighted with. Space got a two and was on a high, but the higher you are....

8, have never scored on this hole, I've driven pretty much perfect, only just missing the fairway twice so of course it made sense to take out a hybrid. Hybrid, 8 iron, 8 iron and two putt for 2pts, even a 3 putt for a point I'd be happy with. Such a delightful feeling seeing my safe hybrid disappear, after reloading I had to chip out my drive and missed a looong putt for a double. Fuk sake, that hole.

9, 10 whilst erasing the memory of 8 from my head I was writing up the scorecard, one of the lads teed and I instinctively looked up to see his ball and smack, caught full sun straight into my right eye. Never happened to me before, my right eye was now kaleidoscope/white out for the next 2.5holes. I could see the ball on the tee but not other shots, managed to duff a short chip on 9, bone the next and take a 3 putt out of nowhere on 10. Routine 5 point two holes ended up as 3.

11, back warmed up by now I forced an 8 off the tee as no room to let another 7iron leak, just off back of green and nice lag for tap in par, back on track

12, nice drive but just in LHS rough with that big tree in my line, hammered a 9iron into it, lay up 3rd, blah blah double bogey. But hey, no rain so carry on.

13, another vent drive to centre of fairway, left an 8iron in which is v unusual for me, I'm usually a hybrid. RR and I left with similar highly breaking putts which I like having a go at, but not to be, v happy to par that hole

14, RR hit his drive to the next county, Space was off bunker hunting and I managed to find another centre of fairway drive but layup for me. I have read RR laceration of a lay up but I witnessed no such event, was deffo a 2 iron draw attempt to hit the green in two 😎. I was too conservative and played away from the bunkers leaving a horrible pokey shot that was always going to leave a looong put so two putt bogey. Round still going well.

15, nice drive to exactly where I wanted to be, had a fight with a tree on my second but really happy with my third drop and stop for another shaved hole (feel I should be in a beauty salon at this stage) and tap in bogey.

16, I've been RHS too often, rough is high there and shot is blind so wonderful me, I pulled my drive left into similar second cut just for the craic, being constricted by branches and having that horrible (ly placed) purple beech tree ahead of me decided I was Seve and going to dig it out with a hybrid and play a low fade also to avoid said tree and catch downslope. All I managed to catch was fresh air. Having no shot on the hole I was all but done but still played on to miss what would have been a 7 when I counted it back in my head so a dope of a hole.

17, needed par par finish for 36pts which I thought could do it. Conservative long tee shot left another loooong putt and again a three putt ensued.

18, centre of fairway, left approach just short, RR was egging for a putt from off the green which I defaulted to and left the approach too far short. Shave the par putt which Space had just got so I knew he had me by a point.

Never thought to take a photo, the time flew, no rain, shorts and single top on, my kind of golf, great company, great scores, great course, great courses, great setup. Headfort members are blessed. A course to be on the rota every second or third year for sure to give those who missed out the chance to enjoy one of Christy O'Connor Jnr's gems. Thanks Cap, thanks committee, thanks Christy.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Great post slave1. Can I also thank you for getting me the Tullamore cards - this is absolutely legend and will save someone (not me obviously) a serious amount of time and hassle.

I definitely would and will go back and play it again within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Couple of shots from during the round

Like photos of an American course...amazing place really.

Was it an old estate ? Looked it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Yeah.

Private school is still there to the left of the 16th fairway. There's a grave behind the trees to the right of the 11th aswell where (I think) the owner/lord? was buried.

Fantastic hearing the praise for the course, glad everyone enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great day overall. Wasn't sure i was going to make it, but had to come up for another work appointment, and delighted i did. Its a fantastic course, and having played it a month before in the pissing rain, was looking forward to getting another swing at it. 33 points last time, so i just wanted to beat that score.

Overall i was happy with how i played. My irons were not great, and was all over the place right and left of wherever i was aiming. Hate when my bad shots aren't even consistently bad in one direction, but that's golf for you. Driver was working ok, with a few not so good shots in the middle of the round. Think my biggest mistakes were when i decided to play it safe, and inevitably hit a terrible shot. Happened a few times, and i need to just trust my driver more often.

1. Hit a super drive over the bunker on the first, but walked off with a 5 after leaving myself just shy of the green with a chunky wedge. Annoyed at that, but took the bogey.
    2. Hit another great drive on the 2nd, right side of the fairway past the water, then pushed my iron out near the 4rd tee box and ended up with another bogey.
    3. Took out my 3 wood to avoid the water, and topped it about 20 feet...so mission accomplished 😕 Then hit my 5 iron to lay up before the water, pulled it into the hazard , and scratched the hole. Frustrating hole overall.
    4. Pulled my 9 iron on the par 3 in between the two bunkers on the right, chipped on and 2 putt for a bogey. Happy enough with that, as i put two in the water a month before 🐟️
    5. Pushed my drive a bit, and ended up in the trees on the right on the 5th, but hit a decent recovery out and up and down for the first par of the day.
    6. Pushed my drive again on the 6th, and had to hit my 7i back out onto the fairway as punishment. Pulled my 4i right in behind another trees, punched a 5i up and 2 putt for a bad double bogey 7.
    7. Next par 3 i stuck my 8 iron to 13 feet, so was delighted with that. 2 putt for par.
    8. Beauty of a drive on the 8th (280 yards), pulled my wedge a bit and ended up just off the green on the left, but saved par with a good follow up putt.
    9. Played it safe on the 9th, as the water is well within my range. 4 iron pulled slightly again and had a bad lie, was able to get it over the water short of the green but ended in the bunker 🏝️. Decent bunker shot, and 2 putt for a bogey.
    10. Decided to play it safe on the 10th, and proceeded to hook my 4 iron into the trees on the left 🌲 Reloaded with my driver, and put it in the trees on the right 🌲 Found it, then proceeded to hit another tree trying to get out and lost another ball 🌲 Scratch 🙄
    11. Can't actually remember what i did here, though i think i hit the green and 3 putt for bogey.
    12. Decent drive on the 12th, followed by a not so good wedge short of the green, chip on and 2 putt for bogey.
    13. Decent drive again, though lucky to avoid the bunkers on the left. Stuck my 8 iron out the back of the green, and another bogey.
    14. Hit a huge drive on 14 (297 yards), though it was miles right onto the next fairway. 6 iron pushed right again behind some trees 🌲, but got out and 2 putt for a bogey.
    15. Pushed my drive into the trees on the right again, and was right behind a tree 🌲. Played it out, still into the heavier rough, and left myself short of the green. Double bogey.
    16. Pull my drive fairly far left on the 16th, but had a decent 2nd shot with the 3 wood to get back into play. 9 iron out the back of the green (after a really unlucky bounce) and another bogey from there.
    17. Last par 3, and i pushed my 8 iron slightly right, but was able to get up and down for a par.
    18. Good drive, good 9 iron, 2 putts for a par on the last.

I'd have taken the 34 points if offered before the round, but left ruing a few holes where i could have gotten easy points. Happy with how i did on the par 3's, after scratching most of them last time as well. But still an improvement, so onto the next round.

Played with break80 and bakerbhoy. Not bakerbhoy's best day, and had a bit of trouble with the water, followed by a bit of trouble with the trees. Got some nice red balls out of it though, which is a sentence i never thought I'd write 😂 Break80 played some lovely golf early on, and was only really punished when his trusty 3 wood decided to betray him a few times. Great company throughout though, and really enjoyed my round with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

This is a mic drop post...

Played with Robbok and doublecross. Struggling from slicing to now a 2 way miss off the Tee.. 🙄 My game was Sh!t company was great.. Took the money of Tiger and Break80. 3 in a row now girls!😁

Fantastic course! To the Captain that does nothing great choice 😂

Out....(mic drop)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

Headfort House. Lord Bective.

Advertisement