Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 4) Headfort Championship (21st May 1010 hrs - 1130 hrs.)

Options
  • 29-04-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭

Ok Gals n Guys - we are about to hit mid point of the season and we are off to a new venue for the majority of the society. The time sheet will open 1900 hrs Wednesday.

Golfer of the year is very close - but form follows form - and you are beginning to see the players moving up in the table. It is clear the Jug team will be very hard to make - and every point will count in the end - look how close it is from 200 pts + .

I do know this outing has been greatly anticipated - and I was challenged by a long term member here Kieran - to try get a bit more North of the N7. So we will have to consider that a bit more (or someone will in future years) - there is a fantastic band of golf North of the M3 / M2 - that is fairly undiscovered.

This course regularly features in the top 50 in the country - and was designed by Christy O'Connor. I'm a fan of Christy's courses - and was a fan of Christy. I'm of the opinion that golf needs characters - and Christy , played Ryder cup - Played the Box, Played Piano , could sing a song and is the type of lad you needed in a golf society.

Christy - did so much for the profile of golf in Ireland - and for young people who wanted to play golf from all different backgrounds and walks of life. Some of his exhibitions are still legendary around Dublin - and one that has a big impact on me, was his one In Deer Park with Eamon Darcy in the 90s (i'd like to work out the year at some point)

A few things to note on this one -

It is an early start for the longer distance travelers)

We will be posting a bit more info on pace of play (nothing mad - but this outing will need people on their toes - as is a slope of 133.)

We will be asking people to get back posting again.

Anyway - the game needs characters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Few years since I've been there, but from memory, a proper test of a course with some tough water holes.

Can't wait to get back to it.

For those with a bit of travel ahead, think there is a hotel in close range, the Headfort Arms (I think) so could be an option for an overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Headfort Arms is about 1min drive away.

Navan is 10/15 minutes to the course with more accomadation.

Try to park down the back at the course, New course is across the road.

Course is in good condition at the minute, greens are almost there, just need a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

With the course entrance on your left keep driving, entrance on the left just before the roundabout through the gates is the range. Currently bring your own balls with a few markers. Apparently this is being re done this year.

2 Nets to the left of the 1st Tee, putting green to the right. Practice bunker between Car Park and New Course

1st. Over the hump on the right can bounce resulting in lost ball. Water left of the green you might not notice. Long is more often than not dead.

2nd. Water straight ahead is obvious at about 230 from the tees. Another water hazard (drain 2m) 70yds short of green, lay up short as it will bounce on. Dont miss left of the green, another stream/hazard. Long usually dead.

3rd. Same drain continues across but doesnt really feature unless a duck hook. Keep right side of fairway,right rough is better than fairway too far left. Another hazard in front of green. Driver can run out (270 ish) as it can bound on. 200-240yd club is good here

4th. Island (ish) green, some room left of green and back right. False front if greens are quick.

5th. Straight forward, 2 tiered green, left side is lower. Plays 10 up.

6th. Medium hitters can get over the hill. Green is protected by tree's, choose your lay up based on flag positon. Do not go long, water hazard.

7th. Longer carry over hazard on left side, right side is the bail. Can roll back off the front if on the fringe.

8th. Straight forward if narrow, left side is good.

9th. Tee off over the Blackwater but theres a water hazard the far side of the hill that the fairway slopes towards, 190-200yd club then 2nd shot across hazard to the 2 tier green (front to back). Just left of the bunker off the tee is the best line but the lie can be bad

10th Over the outside tree on the right is about as much as you want to cut it if you want to shorten the hole. Dead straight or a slight pull is fine too.

11th Huge bunker in front you can't really see. If the flag is back play for just past the middle of the green,its slopes down to the back.

12th Between the tress is the line, right side opens the green, too far left and you won't get on in two. Do not go long, the ball will run off.Short right can run into the river. 2 Tier higher on the left. If flag is on the left it has to get all the way there or will end up at the front/right of the green.

13th More room right than you think, plays 10-15yds up. Tough green with a hump on the middle, miss right on approach rather than left.

14th. Big tree in the distance is the marker, about 300yds. Big green so choose the right club or you can have a long putt.

15th. Can go over both trees on the left leaving a shorter shot in. Looks down hill but only plays about 5yds into green.

16th. Fairway funnels around the corner. Second bunker behind the one you can see off the tee. Just right of the bunker can cut the hole down by a good bit if you get a lie. Some room left after 150yds if you pull it off the tee.. Green plays down 10. Do not go long.

17th. Can be wind here you can't feel on the tee, middle of the green is good.

18th. The further right the more the river comes into play, rushes are about 30yds thick in places. Hazard short right (30yds) of the green, left is a better miss but there is a little room right.

Water features on 12 holes, a few extra golf balls if you lose a few a round is no harm.

Anyone wanting to play it early or the less exciting but solid Old course just let me know and we can work out a day/evening to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Going to miss this one also. Family commitments take precedent this time and I’m raging as have never played Headfort (either course) and it’s a place that has been in the cross hairs for a while.

enjoy all, will see yiz at my home course in June

• Advertisement

That is class dan - it sound very hard. It is known around the place as hard ?

I'd say it's tough enough from the whites but very playable from the yellows.

Generally you'll get two shots from the whites on your HC but it is very scoreable with a couple of good shots. If the wind is up 35/36 is a good score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

If your wild from the tee it's tough going and hard on balls. A-Game will be needed to compete. Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Looks a nice course guys and looks like a lot of balls needed for me :-p hoping to make this one, will make a firm commitment one way or the other by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭blue note

I've the day booked off with the wife for this. I had the day booked off for one of the others too and permission was rescinded, but I'm optimistic about this one!

I had a look at the course on google maps and I'm concerned. I can be wild from the tee and that doesn't look like an option here. And I had been planning to get to the range each week if I didn't get to the course. That certainly hasn't happened and I haven't been on the course much at all either. Once in April, once in March and Headfort will be my next.

But all that said, the course looks fantastic and I'm very excited about it! I'll just bring loads of balls.

• Advertisement

Theres a bail on every hole and most are quite generous. The 8th and the 10th are probably the ones that will catch people out, the rest just aim away from the trouble side and you have loads of room. The rough is getting thicker though so bogies from the rough is a good score on most holes.

Pin high on the Par3's and you have more room aswell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played this on Saturday, and absolutely loved it. Some fantastic holes and the course was in great condition, even with the stupid amount of rain that fell on us.

Not 100% sure i'll make this one, but will definitely try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

really looking forward to the round up here. from the hole breakdowns it seems like the sort of course where having your distances right is going to be of utmost importance. Im normally just a hit and see kind of golfer (with rough club distances) so will have to put a bit of work in in the next couple of weeks to note some average club distances.

Also will definitely need to get my 7iron fixed as the head randomly flew off at the driving range the day before the trip down to Nenagh 🤔. Its my most reliable club and sounds like i will definitely be needing it up in Headfort

FYI all, as Fix noted, the timesheet is now open for the outing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Need to be home early so won't be hanging around folks.

HN is a pleasure of a course, blind 6th drive and tough scoring on 8, I've seen loads of folk scratch the 9th getting caught on the drive, severe elevation change to green on 13. Christy was blessed with the landscape and as usual put in huge greens.

17th perfect for NTP and 18th is used a lot for LD.

Clubhouse and food is excellent, you will leave jealous if your first time there.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm in. If anyone would like a lift from the portmarnock area let me know. I'm in the second last group though and have to do the weekly shop before going, so I won't be leaving too early.

A few spots left in this one for any members who have not taken a spot.

Will post early next week if a few visitor spots.

Hopefully weather good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Just swapping myself over to the 10.40am tee-time from 11.30am for car-sharing and family reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭boccy23

Won't make it to this one unfortunately. Pitched nerve in back has prevented me swinging a club since Mid April and looking at a few more weeks yet. Enjoy lads, it really is a great course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I don’t miss many society outing but when I do, it’s normally a fantastic course when I do. Am gutted to miss this one but family commitments were made earlier in the year and can’t be changed. Enjoy the course, everything I’ve read about it, everyone’s comments on it and hopefully some fine weather ensures you are all in for a treat. Enjoy

I’ll get there someday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

We’ll have to get a game out there together so sometime CharlieIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Break80

I have a bit of mileage in front of me for this trip.

Playing Dooks Thursday, Ballybunion Friday and 3 hrs up the road to Headford Satuday. About 12 hrs driving by my calculations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

OK - things heating up - and this will be a big weekend for a move in golfer of the year.

Hard course - so if we just stick with the basics of what we have been trying to do this year.

1) Decent walking pace - nothing mad , but keep up with group in front

2) Try see where you are going to next hole and walk a decent pace to next tee. - try not delay play marking cards or using various devices.

3) Be ready to take your shot and be ready on the green

4) You are only allowed 3 mins to look for your ball - (not 5 ) - lol.

5) There is most likely a committee member in your group or near you - do not be offended if someone says, we need to pick it up.

6) Try - be somewhat familiar with water hazard rules - or ask an experienced golfer

I know we are a society and it is about enjoyment - but 4.5 + hours for a game of golf is not on

People have massive journeys - and when rounds get very slow , it ruins the days for the majority.

Please keep posting - about your build up, your round and - you could be in for a Stinger Golf Post of the Outing prize.

4.5 hours is not abnormal it a 4ball on the new fix, it's a long course. I'd expect at least that for the middle and last groups.

Enjoy the day lads, course is in good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

If last weekend is anything to go by, I'll spend most of the time hitting out sideways! Looking forward to getting out all the same, been a course I've intended to play for some time but never got round to it

Would have thought that Headfort will suit you well Break80. In my head, at least, it would have a similar feel to Fota, big championship parkland with water to deal with. I'm installing you as pre event favourite!

After my performance in Nenagh you would get a better return investing in The Russian Stock Exchange.

• Advertisement

Class. Fair play Space.

Advertisement