Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 2x09 - 'Hide and Seek' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Picard is 10 years older than Stewart. It came up somewhere else recently.

I always assumed the memories faded a lot after the probe. It became more e like remembering a book you read. Certainly didn't impact him like the Borg did.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh for real? Christ, he was awfully spry runnin' around like Indiana Jones with that archeologist lady on Risa for a 60 odd year old! I suppose maybe it makes sense in the context of a future where everyone's living longer, and are far healthier later into their lives.

And yeah, the idea the memories faded makes sense - just felt weird they never called it out given how big an event they portrayed it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Even just the fact that he'd have to go back through ~30 years of this other life's memories to get back to the Picard memories from before. At the time as a young fella I was thinking, "christ, he'll need to be retrained and everything - he's been out of command for decades!"

I don't think the memories had to work that way. It could be more of a parallel, like thinking "yesterday I woke up in my quarters on the Enterprise and in my bed on Katann" and having both sets be equally vivid at least until the memories faded like Breezy suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I had the exact same thought about him needing to be completely retrained. Even just normal things like using technology, remembering people's names, any skills you might have learned etc. You'd have to completely start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He always remembered being Picard in the dream. I doubt he needed to be told everyone's name again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stuck on the end of it just there now - Picard is visibly shaken and disoriented as he wakes up on the bridge and tries to remember where and who he actually is. It takes him a long moment to recognise Riker and even Beverly, and then later on in his quarters he says (to Riker) that it's like he's having to rediscover that this is really his home.

But yea, we don't know how much counselling or treatment happens in between - in the same way that at the end of Chain of Command, he starts the process with Troi and confesses that by the end of his experience with Madred, he really DID believe he could see 5 lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

The Inner Light was an episode I enjoyed on first viewing but with every subsequent rewatch I like it less & less. I just can't get past the fact that what the alien probe does to Picard is incredibly abusive in not only making him experience an entire lifetime of memories and form attachments to his 'family' that are then snatched away in an instant but also tries to 'gaslight' him that his life aboard the Enterprise was just a delusion.

Advertisement