Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 150th Open, St. Andrews, 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Xander rather blatantly trying to cheat there, English ref seems to be having none of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭bren2001

Seems he's answering honestly enough, he doesn't know how the ball would react in the bush. He isn't overly arguing the penalty drop.

Me arse. Doesn't even have a backswing. No way he'd hit that if there wasn't a grandstand there.

I reckon Xander has a bridge to sell you somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭bren2001

He had a look at the ball from where it was moved after stepping on it. I don't think he should have gotten free relief nor do I think he was trying to cheat. He answered the question. When his caddy said he would be able to hit it out his response was "we dont know that".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Xander10

Who the feck is playing the bagpipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

There's also a lot of people in the crowd shouting out like they're at a hurling match.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭The Guru 123

Come out of the fog saying he’s being genuine that he would hit that if not for the grandstand. It was a difficult job to even pick that ball up, never mind to hit it. Blatant attempt to cheat but the referee stood his ground and completely pushed it back on Xander and I think guilt got the better of Xander from insisting on the drop.

if the ref gave him any encouragement at all he’d have taken the free drop. Very disingenuous stuff from him in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The ref had a valid question, if the stand wasn’t there, would you hit that shot, Xander ain’t trying to cheat, he is trying to use the rules.. he didn’t disagree with the penalty. In the end he did what he had to.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

The last couple of days I was there it happen every night at 7pm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Just me or are the crowds poor enough?

Jp Pro am looked packed last week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,214 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's sold out, but at a course like this it'll never looked pack. Can't get a huge attendance onto the course

The back in forth with the ref lasted for minutes, you're making it out as if he immediately backed down, not even close. He was being a cheeky **** with his comment about never playing from gorse before either, then his caddy suggested it was an easy shot. It was an attempt at bending the rules and was nice to see the referee stand his ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Really?

Some of the stands are empty

Maybe pick up for the weekend

At this hour of the day its not that shocking. Bit of a trek back to Edinburgh. Stand at 17 and 18 for Rory group was just about full. Long day to be out, even if you got there at 9 or 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like Carey will be out with Westwood tomorrow,nice reward for his great start.

Set up well for the weekend anyway, lot of big names up there. Would love Rory to get the win, if not, full on routing for Hovland. The course being so firm, anything could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

No different really to DJ claiming a tv tower 200 yards away was blocking his line of sight a few years back to get a free drop….. when he was convieniently placed in long grass! You’d expect the pros to use the rules to the tightest extent possible!

Played international for Ireland under age but turned pro at 18 rather than going the collegiate route. Hard slog on Alps tours, like Europro tour only 5 get challenge tour cards every year.

Would love to see Cam Smith win, second mullet to win at St. Andrews 😁 wouldn't mind seeing Can Young get over the finishing line either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

I played The Old Course a few years back with some fellow boardsies. We kinda agreed it's not that difficult a course. European, Enniscrone, Ballybunion and Portmarnock Links would be tougher in my opinion.

But the sense of history and tradition when you are on the first tee will never be matched by any course in the world. Walking up the main street of St. Andrews with your golf trolley, turn right, walk past The R/A headquarters to the first tee and thinking " every great player that ever played this mad game stood here with the same hopes of a good round like me"

Thats what it's all about. Doesn't matter if the winning score is 25 under this weekend.

Hopefully every pro who stands on the first has the same thoughts I had standing there.

Otherwise they don't deserve to be there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shane's double on 16 was painful but two great birds coming home, say he's fuming over the double on 16 still though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Just saw a replay of Li Haotong on the 1st, some insane luck to hit the sleeper of the Swilican, ball come back about 50 yards, then just to dump the 3rd shot into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That Carey fella is oddly similar to Bryson, long driver, same putter/style and even same hat. Be great to see him do well at the weekend

Ref was absolutely right, but He was only doing what all pros do, trying to use the rules to their advantage, he wasn’t trying to cheat..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,819 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Correct.

Thing is he could hit it if the grandstands weren't there. He wouldn't want to hit it because there is no guarantee that he'd get it out but he'd be capable of hitting it.

I think those that look to accuse of cheating are armchair fans that don't know the rules of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Xander10

Haven't managed to catch a single shot of Carey's yet. Can't imagine Sky will focus much on a pairing with Westwood, unless Carey is hitting the birdies.

Nice late tee times today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement

That's why the ref didn't allow it? Its not whether he could hit it, its whether he would have if the grandstand wasn't there, he lied to the ref saying he would, the ref said it was unrealistic. It was an attempt to cheat, no two ways about it. If he was called Brooks, Bryson or Patrick the reaction would have been very different.

Advertisement