Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 150th Open, St. Andrews, 2022

Options
  • 27-04-2022 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

just wondering if any boards members are going to the Open in St. Andrews in July?

And would anyone be interested in swapping tickets for days they can't attend?

cheers,

Sean

Post edited by slave1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Im going on the friday but no tickets to swap. I have a mate who is part of a group of 10 and none have tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

I tried to get tickets but had no joy. Will be a great event. What are ye doing for accommodation as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Heading over for the Friday as well...got lucky with the resale.

Staying in Edinburgh and getting an early train. What time do people think we should make the gate for??

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭cunstunt

Me and a mate are heading over from weds to Friday night - there's a very late flight back from Edinburgh, presumably for the golf (and maybe any Irish who miss the cut! :-)

I was blessed in the ballot and got Tues, Fri and Sunday tickets - so looking to do a bit of swapping - tues for weds, and sunday for Thursday. not interested in selling any but if you fancy swapping, get in touch. all my tickets are for 2 adults and 2 juniors (but we're not bringing any of our kids!)

we're gonna camp at St. Andrews. Never camped in me life apart from the Trip to Tipp (and that's just a blur) but its right next door to the course and will save a lot of hassle travelling even if we may cost us a lot in Lynx! :-)

had a chat with an American chap at Portrush who's camped at the Open for the last ten years (or something) and said it's a great experience, so nothing ventured, nowt gained, as they say!

All we need then is a bit of decent weather and we're all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Did you get into the official open campsite? Made a reseveration request but never got anything back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭cunstunt

yeah did it all by email dazzday. try camping@stayattheopen.com and maybe they'll come back to you. what days were you looking for? i think the weekend was sold out when we booked. you can stay the night before and night of the date you have tickets for - but its a 2 night minimum actually now that i think of it.

cheers,

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Me and my young lad heading over Friday. Tickets for the golf on Saturday and home Sunday night staying in the campsite aswell. No extra tickets.

On the lookout for a spare ticket for a junior for the Friday. I have the ticket app so transfers are dead easy. If anyone has a spare junior ticket (U16), do let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭richardbradley

You're in luck - have one for you if still needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭avud

Got a ticket today for the Sunday, going over Saturday, back on the Tuesday and staying with the brother. Getting a return train from Edinburgh with a shuttle bus to the course included for £27.

It will be my first time at a golfing event, looking forward to it would be an understatement.

• Advertisement

There's serious problems in relations to Trains from Edinburgh as Scotrail are on strike. Officially the R&A have advised people not to use Scotrail services (as they cannot commit to bringing everyone) which is pretty remarkable a week out. There is one train network (LNER) that is not affected and you will get a guaranteed seat.

But I think we are going to be seeing some nightmares of people trying to get to the course over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

At the airport waiting to fly.. with regards trains, buses in Dundee are every 10 mins to St Andrews bus station which is 5 mins walk from the course.. which is actually quicker than the train and park and ride they had.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

I'm going on the Thursday and will be traveling from Edinburgh to St. Andrews. There are two of us. We haven't sorted out transport. If anyone else is in the same boat, feel free to PM to arrange an Uber/taxi. Rail doesn't look like an option and public buses are 2 hours or so. Hoping to leave Edinburgh around 6:30-7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Any idea of how much a taxi will be from Edinburgh? I’m in the same position but on the Saturday.

Spoke to a lad today who got taxi from Edinburgh and he said it was $200 ( he was American, so not sure if that meant £200)

Given that an agreement has been made regarding the train situation in Scotland, I’d be surprised if a few extra trains aren’t put on in the mornings and evenings from the Thursday to the Sunday?

Scot Rail are havingprobs with drivers, The Open themselves have advised people not to take train as they cannot guarantee trains will be available

The problems were due to the working conditions of the train drivers. A deal was accepted yesterday by the train drivers union.

As part of the statement released yesterday, it said it will take up 10 days for a revised timetable to be up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

There are currently trains (to Leuchers) and buses (to St Andrews) running but the service is unreliable. From what I am seeing getting to the course should be ok just don't leave it late to get back to Edinburgh. Here is one person's experience from yesterday.

The advice is to download the Scotrail App as this will have the most up to date info

11 Jul 2022, 16:46

Save

Here is our experience from today:

- We had golflink tickets for the 9:30 train from Edinburgh. We were at the station about 30 minutes early, there was no queuing system in place today. The train arrived about 15 minutes early and we were some of first to board. There were only 2 carriages. The driver made an announcement that there were supposed to be 4. We got seats but many had to stand for the 1 hr trip to Leuchars.

- There were 2 double decker buses waiting at the Leuchars train station. If you didn’t have a golf link ticket there was a line to buy a bus ticket. We did not wait at all.

- We left the course for Leuchars at about 3:30. Again, there were about 2 buses waiting, no delay in boarding.

- We arrived at the train station at about 3:45 and saw 2 ScotRail trains to Edinburgh depart. There appeared to be plenty of seats and these were much larger trains than the one we were on in the morning. As a hedge, I bought first class tickets on the LNER train that left Leuchars at 4:24. I did this because I knew it would guarantee a seat assignment. We are on that train now.

Today was great! Gorgeous weather, so exciting to see the course and easy travel. I’m sure by Thursday the travel might be more difficult. 

Hope this is helpful to other travelers. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Poulter teeing off on the first misses the fairway to the right of the 18th, be hard to see a worse shot all day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Any app for this? Anytime I type in the open I only get the US open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

There's an app if you want to listen to it on the radio. Also they will be showing Lowry in the featured group apparently. Fairly poor app compared to the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,706 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

On theopen.com they have two featured groups Morikawa/McIlroy/Schauffele and Lowry/JT/Hovland, can see that first group bombing near the greens given the conditions. Out of those 6 I can see Hovland struggling the most

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

May as well post everything to do with The Open here so renaming the thread

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,706 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All golf apps will be poor compared to the masters app.

Shot tracker seems very good so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

Patrick Reed wearing a liv golf cap just to wind people up. He is a detestable character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Konny Rool

Eagle landed by Poulter - out on his own at three under now [after nine] ,, over 40yds the putt were

Advertisement