Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Heards Borderline personality disorder

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It might be able to accurately target you ads towards consumer preferences, and may predict some traits like openness etc: but it is it predictive of the likelihood of you abusing a partner? The likelihood of you to engage in theft? Commit infidelity?

That's still the realm of clinical psychology. And BPD is a predictive diagnosis for intimate partner abuse.

I can't help but feel that personality disorders are separate to the person. It's difficult for me to explain what I mean and I'm open to reconsidering my position.

Let's say you have two people both with BPD. They each struggle with who they are, their sense of self is fractured and they find any and all kinds of relationships a challenge. One person is easy going, they work they love their dog, they are kind hearted and good natured - and they have emotional disturbance.

The other person is wound as tight as a washing line. They are preoccupied with their own wellbeing before they consider anyone else's, they can be loud and brash, they say things like 'I tell it like is' - and they have emotional disturbance.

The 'perfect' storm that brought about BPD also contained a whole pile of other things and outside of it too. What shapes us? Our early years, our attachment figures, our environment, our friends, our experiences both good and bad. Our temperament is unique to us and it isn't necessarily determined by a personality disorder.

Or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

By definition the first person wouldn’t have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. The diagnosis requires that the disorder has a long term impact on the person in everyday functioning: frequent outbursts of anger, mania, paranoia, suicidal thoughts or threats, loss of contact with reality, sabotaging relationships, devotion and intense intimacy turning rapidly into unpredictability and irritability etc. etc.

easy going and BPD, i suggest are mutually exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Incorrect. Person number 1 may have found ways to manage their condition and and is acutely self aware that their behaviour needs to be adjusted. It doesn’t mean that the turmoil on the inside has stopped though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

There are 9 diagnostic criteria covered in a BPD diagnosis, you only need to meet 5 to be diagnosed. Not every case is the same. In fact 2 people could both have BPD with only 1 symptom in common.

BPD is not who someone is, no more than depression, diabetes, cancer or a broken leg defines a person, their personality or who they are deep down.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Look, I like looking on the bright side too, but treating BPD even in a clinical setting is challenging. One of the characteristics is a lack of self awareness or insight into the causes of their instability. There are some reports of good outcomes over the long term but it's not clear whether this is due to a genuine adaptation to social interaction or whether there is just an eventual avoidance of long term emotional relationships altogether.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's been let run for a while, but I really cannot see what the purpose of this thread is

So someone has a personality disorder. Should we really be analysing another person's medical condition? I don's think so

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement