Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Heards Borderline personality disorder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Why do you need to be getting treatment for something to know you have it?

My ex was open (eventually!) that she was diagnosed at 20 with BPD but was also open about getting no help for it. She cared not for therapy or psychiatrists describing them all as idiots.

There's a clear example of someone diagnosed with something and refusing treatments.

I mean it would be very obvious to Amber Heard she has it, but do you honestly think she was getting rigorous help? Course not.

The premise of your argument makes no sense.

That you have to be getting treatment for something to be diagnosed with it.

I mean you can be diagnosed with anything on Earth and refuse treatment. It really isn't that hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,009 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do we have evidence Heard knew she had either BPD or HPD? This was a psychologist hired by Depp for trial.

For reasons unknown you bend over backwards defending Amber Heard.

First of all it was do we have evidence does she have BPD and we do but now the goalposts have changed to when EXACTLY she was diagnosed like to the literal second you want is it? Here's a video of Dr Sharon Curry talking about her Borderline diagnosis as Amber looks at her very smugly. Certainly not the face of someone in shock finding out for the first time about her mental health illnesses. Look at Amber's smug smile from 10 seconds in. She is certainly not surprised with the Doctors diagnosis here it has to be said. Her body language here is very revealing.

It’s bending over backwards to stick to the facts we know? News to me. Doesn’t that mean you’ve bent over backwards to go after her?

Dr Curry was hired by Depp, exclusively for the purposes of this trial. She met with Heard for 12 hours. She is not Heard’s doctor.

Why do you think Heard would have been surprised? The doctor wasn’t giving a surprise reveal. The doctors diagnosis was a part of discovery. She’s just taking the stand now. The trial is performative for the jury and includes all the admissible evidence, like her testimony and diagnosis. I can’t read anything logically into a defendant smirking or ‘not being surprised’ to learn that the doctor is telling the jury what she already told Heard and her lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Do you think that psychologist didn't discuss her diagnosis with her before testifying? That would be unusual. The question was if this was the first diagnosis or if she'd already known. (and yes, it is entirely possible to have this illness and not know yourself)

• Advertisement

'Dr Curry was hired by Depp, exclusively for the purposes of this trial. She met with Heard for 12 hours. She is not Heard’s doctor.'

Are you honestly saying a mental health professional can't make a diagnosis in 12 hours? Or there is something untoward about it?

Your posts get more and more absurd to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Are we casting doubt on the Clinical Psychologist's assessment that Heard has BPD?

If so, I think we're straying into an argumentative realm that's rather silly.

I didn’t state nor imply Dr Curry could not make a professional diagnosis in 12 hours. I would appreciate you not going to absurd lengths to willfully misframe what I wrote. I emphasized we have no evidence that Heard had ever had a diagnosis of either disorder before, nor do we know what her schedule of treatment may have been. Dr. Curry diagnosing Heard for the purposes of this trial doesn’t tell us she knew about this during her relationship with Depp.

This is a rather narrow line of arguement we're getting stuck into. If I have it correct, that it made a material difference if Depp should have got the hell out of there or not based on the fact if Heard knew or didn't know she had BPD.

Abuse is abuse is abuse. Heard knows now and can't be ignorant of her condition any longer.

• Advertisement

No, the statement is we don’t know at all if Heard was diagnosed before this lawsuit or if she got treatment. If you lose a finger to your spouse nobody is telling you to suck it up.

There is however a visible line of arguement that is 'oh she was hired by Depp' which is to my suspicious eye aimed at undermining her professional clinical opinion she delivered.

To reiterate, again: I was not disparaging the credentials of Dr. Curry.

To be perfectly honest, any diagnosis is only to assess what her mental state was when she wrote the article, this is a defamation case, not a domestic abuse case.

If you're being abused, you ideally should leave. This is totally independent of the abusers mental or physical health issues. Howard's whole premise on this thread is that a woman with BPD is automatically an abuser and should be avoided, which is factually incorrect and is coming from a place of personal bias, adding to the stigmatisation of the illness.

What material difference does that make?

This may make you uncomfortable, but the instances of violence and psychological abuse are difficult to separate from her BPD condition.

I'm not suggesting that all BPD individuals are one and the same and conduct abuse just as Heard did, but there has to be some level of admittance on your part that BPD individuals, be they male or female, are more likely to engage in abuse.

This goes against the grain of you not wanting BPD individuals stigmatized I'm sure, and that's not really my intention, but we need to be plain and honest about the risks inherent in staying in a relationship with someone with BPD who either a. refuses to get treated or b., shrugs off treatment and continues to externalise their mental condition onto others.

Can you please share where you got the information that a person with BPD is more likely to be abusive than those without?

You’re asking, what material difference does it make if someone suffering from BDP even is aware they have BDP? I felt the answer should be obvious. As it regards Heard I haven’t seen it reported she previously knew such a diagnosis or that she had indeed refused such treatment

Irrespective of their diagnosis or lack of one, if you’re being abused in a relationship take care of yourself.

Incorrect and it's in the psychologist's testimony (and as it happens a cursory read of literature relating to personality disorders). A BPD diagnosis will only follow if the symptoms are consistent and manifest over a long concerted period of time, with a clear onset period (usually in late adolescence or early adulthood). Personality disorders are not episodic by definition.

The diagnosis is in effect, indicative of Heard's baseline personality. You've got that one wrong.

• Advertisement

"Any diagnosis is to assess what her mental state was at the time she wrote the article"

Factually incorrect. The diagnostic criteria for personality disorders mean that her condition is not episodic - it's consistent throughout her lifespan from onset.

If Heard received a diagnosis for BPD, it's not that she hit her head off the kitchen press and magically got BPD the days she had contact time with the psychologist and did the diagnostic questionnaire, it's because that has been her baseline personality since onset.

I posted earlier about how those with BPD are more than their diagnosis, how they have individual traits unique to them. In my experience the people I have encountered are not the same as each other. I approach each person as a person and the diagnosis while definitely considered is secondary.

However your last sentence has wondering. Do you think that, using Amber Heard as an example, she is her diagnosis? If that makes sense. I mean if she was getting treatment for it then she would hopefully be able to better regulate her feelings and engage in relationships in a healthier manner.

The disorder doesn't disappear but it becomes manageable. If it's her baseline then what would that mean for her?

I was referring to the reason she was given a psychological assessment, not to the diagnosis

It is a valid question. A person's personality is of course intimately related to who they are, how they present to the world and will determine the quality of their relationships and life. If that is disordered, well then, we're in a troubled space as a person aren't we?

I'm not going to go down the road of Amber Heard is a horrible person. She has certainly commited acts that I'd argue are criminal, and I think we need to be honest about that. Severing someone's finger, mocking your parter for being subject to the abuse and then setting yourself up for a spokesperson for domestic violence implicating the person you abused...well, I'm not sure how to describe that.

Hate the sin not the sinner and all that though. She has a clear diagnosis now, and I think the best course of action is to perhaps hold her hands up, take the L in this case, and commit to living a better life.

This would probably all went away had she taken the money from the divorce and led a dignified life, but (*gulp* I might catch hell for this) her personality didn't allow for that, and she came back for another bite at Depp.

You fundamentally misunderstand what a personality disorder is, despite it's name, it does not mean that someone has a bad personality. It means they have maladaptive coping mechanisms, it says very little, if anything, about who they are at a "baseline" as you put it.

Right, it doesn't tell you if they like Blue, Chocolate, or Fantasy over Science Fiction, or what skills and other traits you might have.

I never said that a person with a personality disorder has "a bad personality" so in the spirit of fair exchange, I'd ask you not try to put words in my mouth.

Mayo Clinic:

"A personality disorder is a type of mental disorder in which you have a rigid and unhealthy pattern of thinking, functioning and behaving."

Your thinking, functioning and behaviour *is* your personality. You may not wish it to be true, but it is true. If those are maladapted and cause you and others harm you're in the realm of the personality disordered.

American Psychological Association:

"Personality refers to individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving."

A "bad personality" is a subjective call every individual makes when interacting with people as they see fit. A personality disorder is an objective clinical diagnosis pertaining to someone's personality.

Subjectively, I'm free to call Amber Heard a sh*tty person (I'm not btw), and excercise my right not to associate with her because of her behaviour (if I hypothetically hung around Hollywood). How much would have that have to do with her personality disorder? Probably a great deal if we're to be honest.

Who knows, I may find that I actually like her, but how long would that last?

But I think you're reading that too narrowly: how I think, feel and behave about the color Green may be different to how you think about it. Certain shades of green make me nauseous. It might be your favorite, I might hate it.

Your favourite ice cream or book is not your personality. Not in the clinical sense.

In fact if someone told me their favourite ice cream was cookies and cream, their favourite book was Harry Potter, they spoke fluent Italian and was a drummer, I'd be none the wiser about the person's personality. And neither would you.

Example: Graham Dwyer was a model airplane enthusiast and an accomplished architect. Neat guy right?

• Advertisement

But with AI these days you could still likely plug my Netflix/Youtube history into one and it would tell you exactly what's wrong with me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement