Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,168 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So tell us what you know of the claim? I feel a long period of longuers here. None of us know.

Did Maria or Leo have a right to seek redress? Yes or No?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,451 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What is Mary-Lou seeking redress for? Nobody knows. Nobody can tell us what possible defamatory thing was said.

Sure people should have a right to redress, but in the case of politicians trying to silence the media, we have a right to know what it is about. Otherwise there is a real threat to our democracy.

I have no idea what the claim is which is why I have not passed comment.

If anyone in a democracy feels they have been defamed or slandered they have a right to redress. Well done, you finally managed to answer.

What you seem to be missing Francie is that there was information in the public domain that clearly demonstrated that both Maria and Leo had a case of some kind for legal action.

The difference with Mary-Lou is that despite hundreds and thousands of people having heard her radio and tv interviews and read all of the articles on the website, not a single person in the country, other than Mary-Lou and her lawyer seem to have a clue about what was defamatory. That can only lead one to the conclusion that there wasn't anything defamatory, and that this is a clear attempt to censor the media in a way that the European Commission and many international watchdogs are very concerned about. Read the links I provided and educate yourself on how defamation is used by scurrilous politicians like Mary-Lou to control the narrative.

P.S. I never attacked VAW personally, just her views, that is just another scurrilous attack by you on another poster. Despicable.

It's not just you, it is everyone. Not a single person has a clue as to what might have been defamatory. Hundreds of thousands of people have heard her interview and they are as much in the dark as you. And you don't find that concerning, that Mary-Lou doesn't want those people to know something.

Your longtime support for all things Sinn Fein has blinded you to real threats to our democracy.

• Advertisement

Some of the worst Orwellian predictions are happening right now thanks to the behaviour of Sinn Fein and their supporters.

That is the whole point. There is nothing obviously defamatory about any of Mary-Lou's interviews. The boys in RTE must be scratching their heads trying to figure it out.

This is nothing but an attempt by Sinn Fein to subvert democracy. Where you stand on this tells an awful lot. It certainly has exposed those who defend Sinn Fein to the hilt despite protestations to be neutral.

Why do you think you have a right to info?

She is making the claim as a private person. Same as M B.

There is no doubt that Maria Bailey fell off a swing. There is no doubt that she suffered an injury. There is no doubt that many people have successfully sued in similar situations. All of this was known in public, however, she didn't sue in the end.

There is zero evidence of Mary-Lou being defamed. Certainly, not a single Sinn Fein quasi-supporter can point to anything. However, she is suing in an attempt to silence the media. Bad for democracy, bad for freedom of the press, bad for the people of Ireland. If you can't see this.....................

She was not on RTE as a private person, she was on RTE as a politician representing a political party.

Maria Bailey was in a personal space, not on RTE.

That you can't see the difference speaks to your cognitive dissonance when it comes to matters of Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

What?

So in the pursuance of her job she can't be personally defamed or slandered? 😁 Brilliant! I think you are way out on a limb, as usual.

I didn't say that.

However, if you are so clear on how she was publically defamed, tell us.

Nobody else can figure it out.

Jaysus.

She issued proceedings, one step more than Leo went. Has faced the same scrutiny as Maria and hasn't appealed to our humanity.

But hey blanch, you can sleep safe, the lads and lassies under your bed might be quiet tonight....legal case to prep etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Ah here Joe, I'm livid so I am. So you are calling in your second cousin's uncle at this stage, where will the laboured faux analogies end! :)

It's so hypocritical to castigate MB, yet cheer on Mary Sue. Disgustingly so.

Mamma mia! That's a spicy a meatball.

I support people having the right to sue.

I don't know the details of what MLMD is suing for, and frankly I'm not overly interested. MB was a chancer found out and made for good fun. I'm repeating myself.

I'm only in here to discuss the outlandish hoopage. She's gone from being like putin to being like Maria Bailey. The efforts to demonise her so your own lot don't look so bad, while entertaining, isn't really working is it?

FYI, I'd happily have the SD's or even PBP trade places with SF in the public support stakes. No never mind to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

" Putin to Maria'... I did unashamedly lol.

I guess there's no way back for MB withe lads here.

What a load of apologist alternative universe waffle.

Only Varadkar knows why. Big man my arse but you are allowed your opinion of course. I think he was posturing to try brazen out his leaking.

Bailey was trying on a common or garden compo claim which she withdrew after publicly embarrassing herself once the details came out and it ended her political career. Her own dumped her.

MLMD is suing RTE and we've yet to find out the terms. However it whipped ye lads up and no mistake. Here you are rabbiting on about an online army Yadda yadda yadda.

You are making things up i never said and then calling me out on your imaginings. You've made numerous claims based on complete fantasy.

I'll take it you've ran out of road. Happens.

They were even dissing poor dinny earlier. I'd much prefer if they put their party energy into governing and tackling their crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Maybe, just maybe you could answer a question that doesn't include "something something FG something something"

Every post is Leo this, or Maria Bailey that. Are you incapable of having a discussion about Mary Lou without pointing at something other person or party?

The inability of Sinn Fein or their supporters to discuss a topic without pointing at other parties doesn't bode well for been in government. What the plan then? who can you blame then?

• Advertisement

Weren't you blathering about Paddy Cosgrove and Chay Bowes on this thread?

Leo and Maria are two politicians who 'threatened to sue'...why would they not be relevant in a thread where their supporters are piling on somebody who actually is going through with a claim?

Nobody lives in an hermetically sealed world. A world you want to seal up when it suits you.

P.S. I didn't introduce MB to the thread.

Yes, they had clear cause to sue, yet they stepped back from that escalation.

Mary-Lou has no clear cause, yet she has gone ahead. Those differences are sufficient to cause huge concern in relation to the threat to free speech and democracy. It is not just me who is saying this, I have already linked to the international concern around similar situations.

Hell, even the law society is concerned about the use of SLAPPS by politicians. And they profit from it.

Yet, there is nothing to see from the usual non-SF-supporting-defenders-of-all-things-SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,268 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You're coming across as deluded Francie. I don't remember anyone else on the thread has "supported" any actions which have been highlighted. They merely brought them up to highlight your own, and others, hypocrisy.

The fact of the matter is that you blindly support anyone and anything once it has a SF badge on it. If MLMD was accepted back into her spiritual homeland of FF tomorrow morning and switched back, you'd be back furiously editing all your posts to severely criticise her past actions quicker than SF webadmins could scrub Russian propaganda from their website.

So show us the grounds on which she is suing blanch....please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This is a very clever move.

It reinforces this bollocks that RTE are part of the establishment and the only real hope for change is SF.

In the long term, when SF's many skeletons are falling out of their many closets, it will allow them to scream FAKE NEWS, RTE OUT TO GET US, and people won't be able to filter out the noise.

Then when SF get into power, funding for RTE will be slashed, new management will be appointed and the issue goes away.

This is the start of something very bad.

Sorry, not true. Been over this before.

Thread is not about me Donald.

That is the point, not even you know. Out of the hundreds of thousands of people who have heard her interviews, nobody can identify a single thing that might be defamatory. All the appearances of a SLAPPS.

One wonders where you concerns were when others threatened to sue blanch.

I get the concern about SLAPPS, but they are over ridden by my belief in a person's right to seek redress.

Until we know what redress is sought here, real democrats should not be commenting or trying to silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Paddy Cosgrove and Chay Bowes made themselves relevant when Paddy started tweeting about Sinn Fein and RTE not giving them airtime. As the information I posted. Both are also linked to Sinn Fein and part of the online crew trying to censor anybody who isn't a Sinn fein supporter, examples already provided

"Piling on"? grow up. Piling on is exactly what Sinn Fein supporters are famous for doing online. Creating spreadsheet to attack TD etc. That's what the Sinn Fein online supporters are famous for. As I already said on this thread it's just another way to censor people.

Mary Lou is doing the same with the media,

No Leo and Maria are not relevant. , Leo is dragged into the thread because YOU and other drag him into every thread. It's just a disgusting obsession at this stage.

Maria was suing a private company after a private incident. It had nothing to do with her public life and had nothing to do with suing the media to shut them down. So totally irrelevant. But you are aware of that. TD are allowed a private life. Get over it.

The only party at the moment constantly suing the media is SF. SO if you want to discuss cases of other politicians suing the media which is relevant then I suggest you discuss the other SF TD's and why they sued? if you are so interested in other cases then why not discuss them as they are the exact same? or why not discuss Gerry Adams suing the BBC? or Gerry Adams trying to stop his niece going to the press?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

With respect, this is the legal position in the US. If you're a public figure like a an elected official or head of an important public agency (e.g., the HSE), you have an extremely high bar to meet when suing for slander. In Ireland, which appears to take its legal lead from the UK, that isn't the case and is a big chill on the public discourse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement