Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You are confusing me with others. I certainly believe her claim frivolous and opportunistic.

Here you are again making an unrealistic comparison to have a go at MLMD. Its obsessive.

'Silence media opposition', give over. You'd say a shinner choosing marmalade over jam has a sinister obsession with hating jam. Its cartoonish dramatics.

The woman is suing RTE and the like of yourself are using it to scaremongering. Not a word when uncle dinny controlled most of the media. Complete hypocrisy. Not credible or even genuine. Anyone comparing this to Bailey or Farrell is making themselves look very foolish. Especially after playing down those claims and going after MLMD like attack dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

unless it was in relation to what the issue is about, and taking into consideration everyone is innocent until proven guilty, to deny someone access to a public channel would be discrimination surely?

Painfully obvious and boring at this stage. Bringing in Maria Bailey was amusing. There really is no lengths, or credibility for that matter.

You would think they'd be better off concentrating party resources on tackling their crises.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But it's not discrimination really. In fact it might be advisable on both parts. SF have others they can send to be their talking heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Discrimination is not illegal except in very specific circumstances. People like to throw it around like a bad word, but discrimination alone is neither illegal or unethical. It's the nature which determines that.

In this case, a company refusing to engage or provide access to an individual involved in litigation against them is discrimination, but it is perfectly legal and ethical to do so. Practically standard practice.

In terms of RTÉ, as a public broadcaster and subject to a number of different rules, it is unlikely that they could uphold a blanket ban on Mary-Lou without falling foul of the BAI.

However, they may be permitted to insist that Sinn Féin provide an alternative spokesperson on issues unless the content of the programme is specifically a "party leaders" confab.

There are "soft" ways in which a ban can take place though. For example, in a news piece about some government initiative or current affair, they show clips of other party leaders' reaction, and just don't broadcast hers. If she's not getting airtime, then it makes her less relevant and can hurt her approval ratings. Can still potentially fall foul of the BAI, but much harder to prove it's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

of course you aren´t SF, just like Francie. Funny how you clutch your pearls at being labeled, yet do the exact same. I´m not a government shill just an anti bullshit party enthusiast. .Clear SF tactic/populism 101...the others are shills or givernment stooges, the establishment etc etc.

and even if i was, Deflect what though? as i clearly state the problem i have is with the IRA killing women and children and gardai, and SF´s refusal to draw a line on that have a process, to deal with that and move the **** on. what difficulty do you have dealing with that simple premise? and its getting to dangerous territory if/when they start litigating against people who highlight links. which i accept isn´t what is happening here.

Obviously you can´t libel people and you can´t label some members of SF for the parties past, but if we get to a stage where say in the future Adams can sue somebody for what he long denies, we are in batshit crazy country and will clearly be used to silence people with long memories. also i´d accept more of the new SF if the links weren´t so tight. The party is run by Belfast, the old links and they commemorate the glory of the IRA on the regular. its all their own fault, all of their own making.

i am not out to get to SF. I detest SF, their hypocrisy, their lies, their history, their warped views and all the other bullshit. thats not out to get them thats just people like me calling out their utter bullshit.

Its getting to the stage where i´d actively emigrate if their style of politics permeated into the country.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Off topic posts deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It seems to be very fluffy at best.

What we DO know is that people in power use Irelands defamation laws as a way to shut up journalists and stop any negative press being aired.

DoB used this tactic, and it now seems that SF are onto this as well, with 3 TD's suing RTE for frivolous stuff.

It is a shot across the bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No, as usual, you are getting your wires crossed.

You alleged criminal activity in relation to Leo. That is a fact.

Meanwhile, you are trying to muddy the waters when it comes to MLMD and her motivation in suing the National Broadcaster for what it appears to be a nothing comment. One can read into that, that it is about censoring opinion and shutting down questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Who makes the legislation? Why hasn't it been changed to stop this? Surely this tactic only works if you win, otherwise you've a large legal bill and costs against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I actually find it very interesting - the cognitive dissonance of the posters who, even after being asked about Bailey, or reminded of their stances in relation to her, are able in their own mind to somehow double down and complain about Bailey but still swear black is white in relation to individuals who wear their own flag (so to speak).

I think that someone trying to sue a private establishment to get undeserved compensation should be called out.

I likewise think that someone who is trying to sue a State service provider in order to get undeserved compensation also needs to be called out. In the latter, it is worse as it a the public purse which is being directrly impacted. Plus it has the additional effect of trying to use the courts to stifle any publication of any criticism, or even possibly facts and victims that certain people want to keep swept under the carpet.

It makes zero logical sense for someone to be so against the lesser scenario and then be fully supportive of the greater one. Both parties have legal rights to file their respective cases. That doesn't mean that they should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,316 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have no idea what her motivation is or her desired outcome and neither do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It is fairly clear what her desire it, stop the media questioning her or Sinn Fein. Do so and we will sue you. Like all the other cases they have brought against the media

I would love to hear your reaction if FF or FG had multiple cases against the media?

It is also noticeable that SF and supporters spend a considerable amount of time trying to change the history of Ireland. Very strange carry on

Are you making all this up? I've seen plenty attack MLMD but none defend her case. Defend her right to bring it, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, let's use your analogy.

In this case there is a specific allegation (Mary-Lou accusing RTE of defamation), there is zero evidence (anyone who heard the interview is scratching their head as what could be defamatory) and there is no admission of guilt.

Therefore, using YOUR PARAMETERS, RTE is innocent, and Mary-Lou is making a malicious allegation. They are your parameters. So yes, RTE is innocent and the SF firing-squad aimed at it should be stood down.

Now, unless you have some evidence that Mary-Lou's accusation is true....................

Over to you...................

We are waiting..................................

Mary-Lou's claim is even more frivolous and opportunistic as not a single person on here, including many who heard the interview, have been able to point to a single part of it that might even come close to being defamatory.

If that is not the definition of frivolous and opportunistic, I don't know what is.

I couldn't care less if MLMD wins or loses. Calling out hypocrisy and false claims, (the irony) does not a shinner make. I know claiming everyone is a shinner and out to get you is a comfort, but sometimes inward reflection is the way government parties should go.

Very well said.

Anyone who is defending Mary-Lou's actions in this regard when they are unable to point to a single defamatory aspect of the radio interview is against free speech, against free democracy and is only interested in the tyranny or oppression of freedom.

You do not know the details of the claim. Since page one you have been hounding MLMD and supporting RTE.

Even if completely baseless, comparing it to a boozy TD with drink in each hand, falling off a swing, is unbelievable. How do you keep a straight face?

• Advertisement

No, it wouldn't be discriminatory under discrimination legislation.

Under broadcasting legislation, and the need to be impartial, it would be sufficient for RTE to offer an alternative SF spokesperson the opportunity to speak for Sinn Fein. Perhaps Violet-Anne, oops she's gone, maybe some other prominent female spokesperson?

Read slowly - Can you point to what claim MLMD is making and what she is seeking?

No you can't.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

1. You are correct that there is a specific allegation.
    2. We have no confirmation as to what the allegation is in relation to.

Therefore, we cannot make any claim regarding innocence, or maliciousness.

Now, unless you have some concrete evidence that this is in relation to the interview you have stated......................Over to you.

I've asked this questions multiple times and no one has been able to show anything concrete as to what the case relates to.

Read again, your mantra means you should be defending RTE not Mary-Lou. However, you have switched principles again because Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The allegation is against RTE. They are innocent until proven guilty, and there is a very high threshold of proof.

Until Mary-Lou produces evidence, the balance of the doubt goes to RTE, and the concerns about the threat to free speech are the most important factor.

Those defending Mary-Lou attacking free speech are the ones making judgement.

I'm neither defending MLMD nor RTE.

I don't even know who may have uttered the offending words.

Nor do you.

So like me, you have heard nothing to justify MLMD's defamation action.

How on earth is she attacking 'free speech' when we don't know the speech she has issue with and we don't know if the speech was libelous, as in, not 'free' as such?

You picked sides on page one.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement