Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrambler problem - 3 Year Old run over

Options
  • 19-04-2022 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Yet another accident involving scramblers surely it's past due time for the goverment to build tracks in these areas for the kids to ride there bikes around on whenever theres talk about these areas the usual crowd do be saying "theres loads to do in these areas no excuses" but thats only true if you like kicking a football around all day alot more kids are getting into riding bikes there should be tracks built for them so accidents dont happen again

Comments

Cannot really call them accidents when the above incident is entirely predictable, when scum and their offspring have been let do what they want since the 1990s.

This wont stop until summary justice is dispensed by bystanders as the government, judiciary and the legal caste will do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

No need to build tracks at all. They would just be an insurance nightmare. So when one of them kills themselves who pays for it?

They should just be banned. I have no idea what sort of parent thinks buying a scrambler for a child living in a built up area is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Building tracks for off-road bikes is indeed a pointless suggestion, as if chav parents that give their kids a dirt bike for Christmas are ever going to be the kind or responsible parents that put bikes in a trailer and then drives their kids to an off road track in the Dublin mountians or somewere to use them responsibly.

You could build a dozen dirt bike tracks and these same kids will still be tearing up the green spaces and roads (and as I've seen, foot-paths) in housing suburban estates anyway.

Just ban dirt bikes from urban use and arrest anybody using one on the streets and seize the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

100%. No more of this pussy footing around by the authorities saying they can't do anything because the kids on the dirt bikes are under age. Here is what they can do, take the bikes of them and if they want them back they can go to the station with their parents and pay extortionate fine to get the bike back.

Exactly, the people that want to buy and use a dirt bike responsible will do so anyway and will do so via a club/group

Time to ban them, end of story. Plus the selling of quad's in cities.

I shared on another thread, but a parent had a child on a quad which was seriously injured because a dirt bike crashed into it. Like what sort of a f**ked up scenario is that? first off why has a parent got a young child on a quad bike in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

they cant be banned because farmers and other people need them and theres alot of young people who use them responsibly its only a small minority making it bad for the rest and tarring everyone who rides bikes with the one brush theres only a ew tracks in dublin and theyre very expensive to use theres loads of waste ground in these areas the council could build tracks in them and the goverment could insure them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They might not be possible to ban them outright, but there should be strict conditions. Insurance and motor tax for a start if being driven on public highway. Not allowed on public spaces without a permit, and permits are only given to specific areas, with the person having to join that club (s) to get the permit.

Minimum training requirements to use one without supervision.

Most of these sort of thing is already in place with regards to cars and normal motorbikes, so it is not that much of a stretch to include these types of bikes.

Large fines and confiscation of the bikes if these rules are not followed. No need for the government to get involved in insurance. The person using the bike, or their parents, assume the risk. Failure to have at least 3rd party should be an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nobody has a problem with the people using the bikes for sport or for work such as farming as you say, that's the bikes being used for what they were designed for.

The kids in these estates, most are under age as well, that ride these bikes have no interest in using the bikes on a track, all they are interested in is being able to tear up and down the park and just be a nuisance. No amount of official tracks or whatever is going to change that. Any kids that interested in bikes for sport will not be tearing up and down parks and being a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

Isn't it already illegal to drive a motor vehicle on public roads without proper paperwork, that is road worthiness, registration, tax and insurance? Isn't it already illegal to drive a motor vehicle on parks and footpaths? There is no need for additional laws, just enforce the existing ones. Impound the scrambler until proof of tax and insurance is produced, scrap it after the deadline expires. Prosecute parents who give motor vehicles to minors. It's not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They should be confiscated and destroyed within 48 hours if they have no licence, tax or insurance. No excuses, no second chances.

• Advertisement

I suggested banning them from ROADS (which in fairness, they probably already are in which case it's a matter of enforcement). They have no place on the roads, so nobody using them legitimately has any cause for concern.

Also, let some private leasure company build off road tracks, such things are not an amenity the government needs to be providing at a time when money can be better spent elsewhere. If private tracks are expensive then don't buy your kids dirt bikes if you can't afford to run them properly. Same for horses, if you don't have a couple of acres or can afford to stable them, don't buy one, and don't expect me to pay for it if you do.

No farmers use dirt bikes. Yes a quad but they all source via tractor dealers etc and easy to regulate that

Banning for sale to general public is easy, if someone wants to use correctly they should have option to buy via a registered club with facilities to use.

Similar is done with guns so it's not like it unheard of

Nobody living in a built up area needs a dirt bike or a quad to drive around with unless they are on a designated track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Illegal if you aren't a scrote yes. The Garda station in Ballymun is massive and they literally sit there watching them flying around the place and do nothing. If I took my motorbike that I pay insurance for, tax, am fully licenced for and an actually legally allowed to use on the road and wheelied it up footpaths at 40mph I'd be arrested. I wonder how they can't stop them - so puzzling!

Just restrict usage by age. No different from any other form of motorised transport. Adults can bear the brunt for their negligence or stupidity.

And when you say build tracks and the government insure them, that just places the taxpayer paying out to loads of accident compensations. There's no need for any of this. Give the teenager a bicycle. Much better for them and the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Solution: legalized extortion. That’s a great route for policing to take…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It's a great idea and the only one that will work. Confiscate and then 48 hours later destroy or donate to some outside the city facility that can accommodate safe usage

They are already restricted, still doesn't stop daddy going in and buying for his 12 year old and sending him out on it......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

TBH I can see why they choose to do nothing: if they were to pursuit and try to stop these scrotes sooner or later one of them will get hurt and then the pitchforks will come out.

the sins of the son be visited on the father. The father should then be held responsible for what the son does, and treated exactly as if he had done them himself.

Legalized extortion? LOL Is jailing somebody for murder legalised kidnapping in that case? What a stupid comment.

If it's legaized extortion then it is then it's extortion that's easily avoided by running your off road dirt bike, you know, OFF ROAD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

you can imagine the scenes ... first off you have to stop the scrote on the bike .. how do you do that without putting more people at risk (police forces around the world tend to back off when there is a danger in a chase) ... secondly when you do stop them / catch up with them ... you'd need a riot squad to do anything as the feral scrotes will form a mob and guards will be at serious risk of being attacked.

There isn't a salary in the world large enough to make me go in to one of these estates unarmed and try take a young fella's scrambler off him. And the bigger problem is that they know it so they have carte blanche to do what they like

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Perhaps reread the comment I quoted. Off road? On your lawn, tearing donuts in the park? What a stupid comment.

I did read the comment, it ammounts to 'take the bike off offenders and fine the crap out of them', so spare me your semantic nonsense about 'on a lawn, in a park', or riding it vertically up the spire in O'Connell St for that matter, those are all places these machines don't belong. What's your objection to seizing the bikes for their inappropriate use exactly? Are you advocating for people to scramble in the front garden and public parks? We already know how badly that worked out: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-motorbike-ran-over-my-husband-and-crushed-his-face-1.3624025

Since I presume you're not advocating for that, what exactly is your problem with the taking dirt bikes off dirtbags running them in any of those places?

My original comment was self explanatory. I’m not a lawyer but reasonably confident the law does not support ‘exploitative’ fines, in Ireland and in most jurisdictions.

100%

it is too easy for parents to just let kids off and have no repercussions. It is time the parents had to pay up

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any motor vehicle used in a public place without tax and insurance can be seized and won't be released until a fine is paid. WTF are you on about, seriously?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The associated fine is not “exploitative” that’s clearly what I’m on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Is there anything to be said for making children’s allowance a tax credit and reducing lone parent’s allowance and dole for each offence committed by the parents or child. 5% for the first offence, a further 10% for the second, 20% for the third, 40% for the fourth, and so on.

Hitlerish, but what must be done be done.

• Advertisement

If you are endorsing your own idea as “hitlerish, but” … lol

Advertisement