Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 year old arts graduate struggling to get by

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

JFC! What civil servant except for Robert **** Watt or Paul **** Reid can afford to buy a house on one income? None! BUT if you start off at a decent grade (the civil service recruits at HEO and APO level, starting pay €50k/€70k) and work away for a few years, then what the **** is stopping you from owning somewhere? Rent out a room, there's another €10k a year income, that the bank will take into account too for mortgage purposes.

You've been given that option and plenty of others but ignore those posts, and instead seem to be holding out for someone here to come up with a magic solution for you that takes absolutely no effort on your part, just an immediate house or something.

Not going to happen. Go be a bus driver or HGV trucker, like you say you'll have to do... life is, apparently, perfect for them, they've not had to go on strike/organise protests recently because of shite incomes.

Excellent trolling, though, not many troll threads make it to 7+ pages.

No, the only advice was not to retrain in tech. That's just the one that's easiest for you to knock down, so you reply to those ones and ignore the others.

a) With parents; b) They rent, in apartment- or house-shares (there is no stigma to this); c) down the country, but on a rail-line to Dublin (or whatever city their job is based in); d) cities other than Dublin, for 60- 80% of the Dublin rent. WFH is a thing these days. e) abroad.

It's a real shame FFG fucked up the housing market on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Oh come on. There's a lot of middle ground that you're ignoring. Move out of Dublin, get a different job, start being realistic and stop going by what the media or others tell you to feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Have you tried not thinking the world owe you anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭johnboy92

I work full time, Im not asking to be owed anything, Im asking for the ability to have a secure home to live in. A small space thats mine. Every other generation had that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Renting in Ireland is shite and very insecure, why would you bother paying someone else's mortgage just to get turfed out as soon as their own kids need a place to live or they fancy selling up, cant even paint a room without getting the go ahead from your land lord.

This whole "You'll own nothing and like it " shtick doesn't play out well for people, aim to buy land or a house if you can do so, so you have a place for yourself and you family.

Being completely obsessed with having to own a house because you believe renters are beneath you socially, is a different thing.

Wishing to own your own home for the security it gives us a long way from the OPs problem of thinking he should be handed everything without working for it, or wanting likes on social media🙄

he should learn to enjoy his life and stop worrying about what other people think about him. No one cares if he rents.

Yeah I literally have 3 basic goals for a home. Not to have to share (Im open to studios), not to have all white walls like rentals (I'd love to be allowed paint myself or even nail a painting to the wall, and to be allowed have a pet cat. My budget is 1000 a month, I should be able to have those basic things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Every other generation is not the same as this generation. Owning your own home is wonderful but thinking you need property to be happy is a silly way to think

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

My budget is 1000 a month, I should be able to have those basic things

The early 1990's called. They were asking when you are coming home from your time travel mission

Unless things change to make that most basic of needs met for working people, then this country is going to see radical change. No point of a strong economy when a massive amount of the population do worse from it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This has to be a joke account and thread

"I'm just asking to live 2022 with a 1950's property market"

"Why can't reality just warp to fit my entitlement issues"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

300k house. Put down 20% (60k). Mortgage 240k. At current rates of 3.2% fixed (which will likely go up soon), your repayments would be just over 1k a month for a 30 year mortgage.

That's probably what you are aiming for. If you can get a mortgage. And if you have your 60k deposit saved (plus a bit for other expenses)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Previous generations had to send their 14 year old daughters to live as live-in-help for the richer families.

Previous generations had to pay for third-level education

Previous generations lived in cold and damp homes

Previous generations had no technology, no means of transport, no takeaways, no lattes

Previous generations did not live on average 20 years after their pension-age

Previous generations had to take a job and stick with that for the rest of their lives.

Yeah, it is crap that house-buying is so difficult now. Yeah, it’s crap that people don’t have rental supports. But don’t forget all the things that you have that your previous generations would have dreamt of

It sounds like somebody is trying to peddle a political agenda and stoke up some rage

So saving 70k and having a salary of 70k per annum to get that mortgage is the clear issue

Im aiming for a basic one bed. And if Im priced out, where the hell are people working on minimum wage going to live? Or basically the 60% plus of the country that earns under 40,000? Do we just rent rooms?

In the past when citizens lived in shared slums they got knocked down and replaced with public housing

Source for 60& https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/opinion-64-of-workers-in-ireland-earn-less-than-the-average-salary-4562071-Apr2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 samehere27

Just to make you feel better, I am in the same situation, you know I wanted to work hard to be able to provide a house for my future family but I guess I went about it in a wrong way - working hard is not the correct way. After spending 4 years in college, I am now earning about 50,000 per year before tax, to be honest even with that I am not able to find any good house for mortgage. The worse thing is that I am not even Irish but my family came to Ireland 10+ years ago. From what I see around, there are loads of people (I should add, unemployed) who reproduce and get the council house, I guess that's the best way for us going forward, mindlessly reproduce so that we can get a house. Let me tell you that I am surprised there are no serious protests about this because living in a house share is no way to live, I was looking at Ancient Rome documentary and that is what the plebs used to do, share a house with strangers because there were unable to rent anything. It's just sick way to live really.

• Advertisement

What about the people that don’t want to live in Dublin? What about the fact that people are buying together, so it is a case of a combined salary? What about the fact that people are staying and saving with their parents?

You can manipulate any narrative you want to suit the agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Life sucks and then you die.

Look into the MGTOW movement. I feel it as a way to force reality around you will. If enough people get inboard then those fortunate enough to have the IQ to work in these select few sectors will suffer.

There's no point of the tide rising if your boat doesn't have an engine.

Economic growth in its current guise is a sham that is only there to benefit a few lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. We're like the morlocks slaving away so the eloi can enjoy the trappings of success.

Yeah, but you're a "conservative", and won't vote for the parties that actually advocate for building public housing, so... 🙄

I voted SF in the last election due to this issue. I said my instincts are conservative, in that I want to work hard and provide for myself, but in Dublin it feels impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As I mentioned before, I.... And my FIVE siblings grew up in a council house. My father worked himself into an early grave and my mother worked. EACH of us has given back many times more in our years of paying tax than we ever "received for free".

We each have bought our own homes.

We ALL came from this feared "Lower Class". From time to time we each required social welfare assistance as jobs were lost and re-training was required.

We each lived "as plebs" as posted so wonderfully above, sharing accommodation as required.

This is not a tale of rising up and beating the odds. This is not looking for a patronising pat on the back for rising above "our station" from the slums. This is a tale of REAL PEOPLE doing what real people do. Work and don't assume that they are entitled to something they didn't earn. You are so quick to brand people as "Lower Class" that you forget that these are real people. People.... Just... Like... YOU! "Plebs"... "Lower Class". My God.

You have only yourself and your peers to blame for this percieved injustice and persecution for being so "Lower Class" that you need to rent share like a pleb.

You and your peers have maintained and promoted this opinion that renters are somehow inferior. Now live with it or pull your opinions into the 21st century.

I REALLY do hope OP is trolling because their attitude is disgusting.

Edit: Again, fix phone autocorrect

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lol. You are the one looking at renting as lower class. Change your own attitude.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Your just in denial because you feel owed something because you got through your degree. You need to shake yourself up and realise nothing lands in your lap unless you’re extremely connected or extremely fortunate. A slap of a recession would sort you out fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

its not your fault, you are living in a time where maybe 14 per cent of working people ,people on 50k plus can afford to buy a house.our economy boomed, our population grew to 5 million, the supply of new housing did not even get close to keeping up.look up housing price ,sydney australia ,700k plus on average. this is happening in canada, american citys,seattle ,portland, los angeles .there is no stigma to renting in other countrys https://www.canadahousingcrisis.com/ people are moving to small towns, as they can work from home using laptops zoom.But this is putting up the average price of houses in those area,s

we also have a problem in that most of our rental stock, is not high quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Have you considered applying to the local circus as a clown?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement