Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 year old arts graduate struggling to get by

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Look at Springboard courses. Heavily, heavily subsidised and a way of getting into a tech or finance field.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The majority of people these days need to make a choice as far as I can see. They can either go travel and see the world, which I'm sure is an invaluable experience or put the head down early and work towards getting yourself stable financially. I think most people need to accept they will be living in the family home into their 30's as they save and if you are trying to do this as a single person, good luck but it'll be much harder.

Now this is all assuming you are not one of the lucky minority and have the education and connections to walk into a very high earning job of course. Its not like it was during the Tiger and as far as looking to Government to help you get on the property ladder, you're on your own, unless you are one of O'Gorman's chosen few.

Funny how there are boardsies telling this young man to leave the country and then cheer as boat loads of people from abroad are brought over to be housed for free. Not a reference to the humanitarian Ukranian crisis but the baffling policy of pumping up our population numbers in a system that cannot deal with it.

Times are strange on the island at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

This isn't realistic in the slightest. A degree is a broad basic knowledge in a broad area.

I think you've led a very sheltered life based on your expectations. Pick an area you think you might be good at thats hiring and work your way up.

• Advertisement

because everybody should go see the world and broaden their horizons. Much like the people coming to Ireland do.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭johnboy92

Except that other countries don't have the home ownership culture that Ireland has, and without being on the ladder by 35 you can easily miss the boat and be stuck for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Top reasons:

• Society/Government looking down on women who want to stay home and raise a family rather than having a creche do it for them. Result is higher incomes for couples leading to higher property prices, cutting most singles out of the chance of buying even a 1 bed apartment in Dublin.
    • All those social houses built/acquired reduce the stock available for workers to buy, making demand higher and prices too.

You could do a 3 year course and be well on your way to a salary much higher than you are on now. You could even do a 1 year Level 6 and get yourself into a technicians role on pretty decent money. Twice your current earnings for a start.

Correct. If you want to live in, or near Dublin, your current salary is sh!t and you need to change that. This is what everyone on here has said to some degree.

I was thinking the same. Needs to be in a personal problems forum.

Stay Free

Ah here, you need to get over your obsession with owning a house. Who cares what people think, or how many likes you get on social media.

I actually do think this is a wind up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

OR.... you can work abroad and save money like so many people did, get the deposit for a home and come home once you have spent your time working abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There is a massive problem in a large segment of society that looks down upon manual work...

When I was doing my leaving cert...

I was specifically told, trades were not a good option due to the impending recession and going straight into the workforce would be detrimental to my future...

I had looked at a new factory that was opening and applied and was pretty berated for not being "ambitious enough"...

So went to college, got a level 8 in business, and now working in the same factory that I was looking at during my Leaving Cert...

Only difference is, over half of the people that started when the factory opened are still there earning a minimum of 42,000€ a year doing straight days...also with a serious pension and health insurance and an ok bonis structure...

I fannied about earning 25,000€ a year in retail with my business degree...(I was able to earn more, doing cash in hand stuff on the side thankfully tho during that time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Most private sector employers need people who do productive work that generates more product or sales or services. IT is behind a fair bit of the modern economy. Reads to me like you should look at the public service, keep an eye out on what openings there are there.

But to afford a house? Quite possible if you can and are prepared to live outside of Dublin and other major towns/ cities.

Was in much the same sort of situation 30 years ago, went rural and bought cheap. Self employed since. Has its ups and downs but hey, if you want to avoid a mortgage, way to go. Sure it'd be nice to live closer to family but to do so in the modern world requires either that you're on some public housing scheme that facilitates this or have a very well paid career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I did Arts in UCD and now work in IT having gone back and done another couple of years in college after graduating. I thoroughly regretted doing Arts and found at the time there was far too much advice given out about how it's a good general education and base level to go on to do something else etc. Yes you get the slagging about how useless a qualification it is from the general public but looking back now I found people within education were trying to counter that too much with their advice and there was not enough realism about what life will be like immediately after graduating. You're seventeen when you're filling out your CAO after all, you know absolutely nothing about the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hmm.. this thread seems to be more about promoting some housing political agenda, than looking for useful advice.

Its not any political agenda. Its the fact of living in Ireland, you cannot live a proper life in a community with roots, or even pets, without owning a home. The reason I am seeking advice is I need to own a home to move forward in life, or else leave for a country that renting is normal in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

as opposed to you, who got a relatively cheap/free third-level degree that has turned out to be more or less useless in your eyes...............yeah, people who get handouts are awful arent they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I also now suspect a troll. (I HOPE a troll): Pity the poor little rich kid who went to Uni and can't get a house cos of unmarried mother's and foreigners. Now they have to slum it. It's like a Pulp song. Lol.

I never said it was because of others. I'm not a rich kid, I come from a totally normal semi D in South West Dublin, bog standard. Im annoyed that its impossible to get a home or a job that pays enough to buy a home yet my Dad could do it at 25 on 1 income and Im desperate to find a way to do it. Im have no intrest in IT so its really disheartening that seems the only option. I get the idea of the civil service, but a civil servant on one income is not buying a house or apartment in Dublin

You've rejected all advice given to you. You also seem to be oblivious to the fact that most people struggle to buy in Dublin but you've concluded you must live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭notAMember

Your dad could do it on one income, because my mum was ejected out of her job when she got married. When you force domestic slavery on half the population, the buying power of the other half effectively doubles.

Did you not learn that in political science?

So, either you chain all the women to the kitchen sink again, or you accept that couples have double your buying power these days.

The only advice given has been to retrain in tech. Not everyone can work in tech. And if most people from Dublin cant live in Dublin through no fault of their own we need attitudes towards renting to change and not for it to be looked at as lower class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Post edited by Beasty on

You need to change your attitude to renting, no one else gives a sh1t whether you rent OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In rental, in shared, in their own homes, or with their parents. A few I know have lived in shared to save for a deposit on a house.

Reading your posts here I strongly suspect the housing crisis isn't your key issue, at all

Nobody said to limit self to tech. Plenty of fields you can retrain for. In relation to renting, there does need to be a cultural shift on it but nobody views it as lower class... In terms of home towns or cities being too expensive to buy in, that's pretty much something that people find across the globe. It's not unique to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

In this whole thread YOU are the only one who thinks rented accommodation is for the "Lower Class". That statement ALONE States where attitudes need to adjust.

YOU have REPEATEDLY suggested that people who rent are somehow inferior. This is 2022 and people still believe this. YOU and YOUR PEERS need to reassess and readjust. I hate to tell you but it's not the 19th Century anymore. Not even the 20th.

If you are not trolling then you have certainly lost all sympathy from me and I would imagine many others.

"Lower class" for renting.... In 2022. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I think you're annoyed at the fact that your degree is all but useless and you need a high salary to buy your in own home.

With all the advice given here, you haven't taken any advice on board. You need to upskill, further your education, accept the job you have and rent or move country.

I said it already to you, you come across as entitled. You come across as someone, at 30 years of age, unable to actually work hard to better yourself.

Instead you've refused a civil service job because the pay is low, not even recoginising that it's a foot in the door and increments in any job takes time and dedication.

You seem to be of the opinion that because you were misguided in your careers in school that you did the wrong degree, blaming someone else, but not yourself.

The reality is highest honours degree courses in the country demand further education, study, research to enable one to reach a large salary now. It sucks, but that's the reality.

I have a lad, 9 years younger than yourself. The moment he got his course in college proclaimed that he'd be doing his master's once the hons degree was done. Acknowledged that he most probably wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage until at least his mid 30s. That he'd be living at home for most of that period unless he strikes it lucky with a partner in a wealthy situation 🤣 He wasn't all doom and gloom about it. But accepted the reality now and has the head down in the books and will work to be the best he can be.

I've a younger one, leaving cert, hasn't a notion of her future career. She acknowledges that no matter what course she does, she will have to further her education to some degree.

I'm perplexed why you have this idea that those who rent are low life. I'll be honest, you are screaming notions. Maybe you'd be better seeking therapy to come to terms with this idea. There is much more to life than owning a home. Once you stop beating others and yourself for not owning a home, you might become happier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement