Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't Irish people befriend foreigners?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If the interests of "the Irish people" could be represented by just one party, there would be no need for other parties or for independents. There is no closed shop. At the next local elections, most places will have around only two candidates per seat. Easy enough to get elected, and that can be the stepping stone to national politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It a complete fantasy anyway there was heroin epidemic in the 80s. Half the country was derelict. That's not too say that uncontrolled immigration hasn't brought it own problems. But Ireland wasnt crime free in the past either. We had no go areas in cities.

The thread is daft as a brush anyway. The OP had been here 3yrs two thirds is that is during a lockdown where socializing was restricted. How many close friendships has anyone made during a worldwide pandemic. Everyone has been stuck with their immediate social group and unable to travel.

I've made no new friends at work. But then I've not been in the office for 2yrs. Seriously.

No I don't. But the current culture has stopped me asking. Everyone is so offended by anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Agreed.

Anyway, none of this applies to the OP who seems perfectly nice and will, I’m sure, make Irish friends in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭jackboy

😂Don’t worry, I’m sure you have a wonderful personality after a few pints.

• Advertisement

Nearly as wonderful as the oddball who spends his evenings judging drunk girls in chippers..

Never mind. I have a habit of going off-topic. Leaving it there.

Most people aren't anti social after a few drinks. Rather the opposite. Most people don't drink too excess either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

When did we have an irishman behead an elderly gay man and another social gay man ever? A young girl murdered cos she was concerned about a child being covered in bruises coming to school. Polish women & other eastern europeans women being beaten within an inch of their lives by their polish husbands. My friend is a nurse and she has seen it in the hospital un believeable. And you ask me why i dont want to befriend foreigners theres 3 reasons already...... I dont accept cultures where violence is just normal everyday behaviour. i accept civilised people and the immigrants we are being given are not top drawer more like the shite that Angel Merkle doesnt want, the dregs the criminals the low IQ dossers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That whole post is absolute BS. Were you to look at Tusla cases in detail and use them as a representative example of the greater population then you would have no Irish friends either. We have an absolute grim history in this country in respect of protecting the most vulnerable.

For every Yousef Palani we have an Alan Hawe or a Mark Hennessey

I concur but i do pick my friends wisely and none of them have ever been on the wrong side of the law !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Would you perchance admit there might be a foreigner somewhere that rises to your high standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Some of my closest friends are Aussies so to generalise like that is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

When did we have an irishman behead an elderly gay man and another social gay man ever?

Have you considered looking at other western nations, with similar cultures and history to our own to see if such things have happened? After all, I could point to dozens of abuses in the US, which supposedly shares our values, and typically our attitudes on most things align, but at the same time, have some awful things happen. What about the UK? Similar story there, and in many ways, they're even closer to us culturally..

Polish women & other eastern europeans women being beaten within an inch of their lives by their polish husbands.

I once visited a close friend of mine (male), who had "fallen down the stairs", except for the fact that he lives in a bungalow. His missus beat the crap out of him.. and has done so before. Does that mean that all Irish women are guilty of the same? Nope. Is it indicative of Irish culture? Not really. (Although all the things that don't get spoken about is rather strong in Ireland).

In any case, you're shifting goalposts. You're deflecting away from what i wrote in response to your previous post.

And you ask me why i dont want to befriend foreigners theres 3 reasons already...... I dont accept cultures where violence is just normal everyday behaviour. 

All the examples you provided are not everyday normal behaviour, and in most cases, are condemned within their own culture by the majority. Even in Islamic countries, there is what is promoted and what is actually done.. on a daily basis. They're not the same thing.

Anyway, you might as well stop being friends with Irish people based on the standards you apply to others... but then, that's it, isn't it? You're applying double standards.

i accept civilised people and the immigrants we are being given are not top drawer more like the shite that Angel Merkle doesnt want, the dregs the criminals the low IQ dossers.

Except that Merkel wanted the low skilled workers to meet their demands in manufacturing and other relatively low skilled industries, like their massive hospitality/service industry. So your claim doesn't make any kind of logical sense. By that logic, we would have gotten the majority of skilled/educated workers, as that's what Germany has in abundance.

You're not really thinking your arguments through. We got what mass immigration and our immigration policy provides. A mixed bag. You'd be more accurate blaming our politicians and the civil service for that though.

i agree about our polititions the minister for justice is a toddler and should not hold that office and leo wants a million more people into ireland so he feels at home.....

Yes there might be one but i couldnt be arsed looking as i am fine with my irish friends so whats the problem.. "Irish person likes irish people" whats not to like !! You cant call me racist as i have not been racist. I am just happy in my own little bubble out in the country surrounded by my own land which i will never sell any sites from so i will never have to get on with people who are planted next door and pretend I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

What’s not to like about racism? Why not own it? If you claim that awful crimes have been committed exclusively by foreigners, and that immigrants are all sub par, that’s a pretty clear indication of bigotry. Again, why be ashamed of that at this point?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And yet they are all more capable and in office, rather than the silly little twat making dumb comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

leo wants a million more people into ireland so he feels at home.....

I'd say Leo feels very much at home.

HI you three i was awaiting the arrival of the mob...... and just like I expected you are like clockwork all singing from the same hymn sheet. The boards mob are much like thw twitter mob. I like irish people so cancel me !!

aaah thats so nice so loyal so cute you obviously love Leo. Of course you do he s the great liberalizer !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No, I just don't think he's looking to feel "more at home".

Um, you jumped the gun there, although it's a fairly accurate jump.

I view our politicians as corrupt, inept, and elitist. Not toddlers because that would give them something of a free pass. Considering how much the government pays out in consultancy fees, you'd think they'd be doing better. The minister for Justice is a SJW activist, and a social media whore.

Our politicians jumped on to the virtue driven train of multiculturalism. Diversity is our strength. Apparently. Even though it's failed badly in every western nation, and we're seeing rising social unrest, and economic costs as a result.. but our politicians don't care becasue regardless of what happens their benefits and pensions are secure.

The old adage is truer than ever today about never learning from others mistakes & we have watched as many civilization have been destroyed by multiculturalism & still we strive to make our small island another casuality of the same. I truly feel sad for young babies being born in Ireland and to irish people as they are being born into a robbed culture. I had a blissful childhood nice communities all around helpful kind & trustworthy, irish song music books all you could hope for and i am sorry these children won t have that . Instead they will have exposure to adult themes at an all too early age robbing them of their childhood. I really do not support some of the liberal bullshit we are having forced on us.

Bertie, I do believe that's the first post of yours I've ever completely agreed with you on. I suspect we differ on the specifics, but all's good right now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I guess you were lucky enough not to go to an industrial school.

Did you ever get to sing

There was an old woman who lived in the woods, A weila weila waila ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I wouldn't say this is a uniquely Irish thing. From talking to people I know who've lived in Nordic countries, Finns, Danes, Swedes, and Norwegians are also very hard to befriend - they tend to make their friends early in life and don't instinctively seek new ones. In fact Scandinavian countries are often ranked as some of the toughest places in the world to integrate into because of that social attitude. I suspect it's probably a trait you'll find across most of Northern Europe (as opposed to the south where people are generally more open).

But one thing that makes Ireland different is that we are approachable on the surface - we're comfortable with small talk and chatting with strangers. That can make us look warm, especially for small interactions, but it's usually skin-deep. We also tend to be very indirect people - we would consider it more important to be polite than to be completely honest for fear of upsetting people. But people from other countries are often way more straightforward and would regard the Irish attitude as insincere.

To be honest one of the strangest things I've noticed about Irish people is that we can actually be very sensitive to criticism (again linked to that indirectness). You can see it on this thread. We often like to hold up "slagging" and our self-deprecating sense of humour but loads of people here seem to react very strongly to criticism or questions about Ireland, especially from foreigners. Add in the overblown reaction every time someone in the British media mistakenly calls an Irish person "British" by accident. It can be a bit over the top to be honest.

Advertisement