Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silencer Stuck On Barrell

Options
  • 07-04-2022 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

My atec wave is stuck on the end of my cz 452 has anyone dealt with this problem before?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No, but a couple of ideas:

• Stilson/pipe wrench with a heavy cloth around the suppressor for protection.
    • Chain type filter wrench also with a cloth around it for protection.
    • Penetrating spray down into the suppressor (but make sure to tape up/protect the barrel of the gun COMPLETELY as the spray may damage the bluing)
    • Clamp the rifle and pull/twist like a dog. Little brutish, but might work.

If you get it off, clean well and place a generous, but not huge, amount of copper grease on the threads of the suppressor and muzzle of rifle before refitting then make sure to clean it off each time you put the rifle away. Lastly never keep the suppressor on the rifle when not in use.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Has it been on there for a while(in time or rounds fired) since removal?

Was it put on with copper grease or similar, or onto bare threads?

Have you tried using a(very gentle) bit of heat to loosen the threaded part of the mod?

I know the wave's body is polymer so I'm not sure how well it would interact to direct flame, but at the very least a hairdryer on the highest setting might do it, and if not then some extremely judicious application of a blowtorch/flame gun may do it.

You could also try soaking it overnight in lube to see does that penetrate enough to loosen it?

But when you do get it off, when putting it back on stick some copper grease on the barrel threads.

Makes removing it a doddle. ;)

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Guess the old hot chip oil trick will not work with one of these polymer cans?

If you want to risk it,Get a deep pot or anything that you can fit the barrel and can into and fill it with vegetable oil and heat it until boiling.The heat will allow the veg oil to penetrate the threads,but probably warp/melt the polymer.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭cosieman

It has been there for awhile havent been using it that much over the winter but does seem to be carbon lock.

I just put gun oil on the threads.

I tried heating it with a lighter will try again with a pipe wrench laterr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭JP22

After a thorough soak (petrol, diesel, wd40, etc, ….), use one of those canvas straps mechanics use to tighten/loosen oil filters.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

You may have already damaged the barrel, the build of carbon between the top of the barrel and the moderator can cause moisture to occur and pitting to develop on the crown of the barrel.

The moderator needs to be removed from the rifle when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No...Chip oil gets nowhere near hot enough to start changing the metal structure of gun steel. At 325 F Its well short of 1500 degrees F where steel loses 50% of its strength* and a melting point of 2500F😉

Dunno about the polymer on your can tho.

*"steel" being used generically here,but Gun Barrel steel is one of the harder steel out there...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Got it off by soaking it in gun oil minor rust on the threads seemed to be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone will unseize anything,

What it might do to bluing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement