Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptising children

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

To be fair you i don't know you personally but in the majority of cases you are talking keyboard warriors.

This is such a first world issue and even here it's so miniscule compared to the wider issues out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well this keyboard warrior served on the BoM for several years and of two different schools, as Parents' Representative, despite my non-Catholicism being common knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s an online discussion board. We’re all keyboard warriors, including yourself.

You seem to have run out of arguments, if all you have left is that it’s not the biggest issue in the world today.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It was to show that Bobtheman's claims about the funding of different ethos primary schools were nonsense.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

So if religion is so unimportant, why on earth are we spending 10% of the primary school day on it?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I still don't follow what you are trying to say.

Bobtheman said not all primary schools receive funding - ar at least that not all have to receive funding. That is correct. The Article you quote from the Constitution just lays down conditions for ones that do. It doesn't state that all and any must receive funding. If you set up your own "home school" for a few of your own kids, you won't receive funding for example. Even though you might ostensibly claim to have set up a private school

In fact, that Article can be taken as evidence of his point. It is possible to discriminate based on religion, but only if you do not receive State funding. Ergo, not all schools necessarily have to receive the same funding.

So what? Only a tiny number of primary schools don't receive state funding. If they do then they have to meet requirements in relation to curriculum, etc. which is only fair. Bob made a false claim that different "ethos" primary schools within the state system get different levels of funding, they don't.

I don't regard it as a weakness. It's ludicrous that people like you-who genuinely know **** all about whats going on in child welfare issues think this is important. Very sad and tragic

For the second time in two days, you have absolutely no idea what I know or don’t know about child welfare issues.

But you’re making it more and more obvious that you’ve long exhausted any rational discussion here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭HazeDoll

But is your position that we should ignore this until we've solved other problems?

Or that unsolvable problems render solvable problems irrelevant?

Or do you just think we should allow religion to dominate the system?

The fact that you keep asserting that you know something we don't without offering anything concrete suggests a religious mindset.

I think it's really apparent you know **** all otherwise you would not consider this an issue

Deal with homelessness among kids. Make sure the education system deals properly with kids who want to progress to a trade at senior level rather than wasting 2 years preparing for an LC or LCA they don't need.

Go all out to provide homes for kids in need for emergency shelter because they are being abused either physically or sexualy in their homes.

Over night we can house 60k refugees but our own kids can't get Foster homes??

You people with your petty petty issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Bob you should change your name to Lazarus based on the number of times you've revived yourself in this thread

• Administrators Posts: 13,860 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Bobtheman there are many issues in today’s society. Just because some are more serious than others does not mean issues you consider trivial should not also be discussed and debated. Everyone has an opinion, and everyone is as entitled as you to express it. This thread was started to discuss baptising children. Dragging the thread off on a tangent while using abusive language towards other posters is not appropriate in this forum.

You have already received a moderator warning. Please do not post in this thread again.

• Administrators Posts: 13,860 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@AndrewJRenko and @fits I have deleted your last replies as you replied to a person who has been asked not to post in this thread and as such has no right of reply.

The thread has more than likely run its course. But if anyone wishes to reply, then address the issue as the OP presented it.

Thanks.

A good example of why the catholic church influence over schools needs to be removed as soon as possible

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/parents-appalled-at-school-s-refusal-to-teach-about-same-sex-friendships-1.4861730

It's all about pushing the church's agenda on kids even when the kids' parents don't want it. All at taxpayer expense 😡

A big day out with the absolute minimum of effort, some parishes have tried to insist parents take their kids to mass in the run up to the big day and got massive pushback on it. These people wouldn't be bothered taking their kids to communion classes so they're happy to have the school do all the work.

• Advertisement

Other people's children must waste hours and miss out on valuable education so my child can have a big day out.

Presenter should have asked her would she have brought the child to make communion outside of school, and do all the prep work herself?

The day communion and confirmation are taken out of the school curriculum cannot come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

“The day communion and confirmation are taken out of the school curriculum cannot come soon enough.”

Hallelujah

haha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

How many Irish atheists do you know exactly? One thing I find with those that I know, which is something they have in common with most Irish Catholics, is very little interest in religion whenever it can be avoided 😀

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sounds like the pragmatic solution. A compromise a friend made in this situation was to attend but not participate in the religious ceremony.

Weddings in Ireland in 2021 according to the CSO - The most popular form of ceremony for opposite-sex couples was a Catholic ceremony (40%). https://www.irishpost.com/news/age-of-marriage-increasing-in-ireland-new-cso-data-shows-233563

Fewer and fewer catholic marriages year on year, baptisms should be following suit.

Irish Post putting a spin on it. Catholic marriages are only "the most popular form" because non-religious marriages are split between civil, humanist and spiritualist.

Adults are choosing to avoid the Catholic Church where they have a choice - but when it comes to enrolling their kids in school they usually don't have a choice.

True, a good headline would be 60% of 2021 weddings not catholic ceremonies.

I just checked the CSO website out of curiosity for catholic wedding ceremonies in the last 5 years

2021 - 40.2%

2020 - 34.6%

2019 - 43.6%

2018 - 47.6%

2017 - 50.9%

And yet the number of catholic ethos schools in the country is up near 90% (I think?)

And great to know that even more public money is going into funding this kind of fantasy material.

Might as well have a Masters in Harry Pottery or a PhD in Marvel worlds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

MOD NOTE,
    I left this run, to encourage discussion, but I think it has reached it's end point now.
    I am going to close this to avoid further posts with headlines that pop up from time to time relating to this topic. In the context of the OPs original query, it has been well and truly exhausted.
    S

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement