Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod note Post #1 - All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2022 (Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

In the top 40 list of individual AI hurling medal winners, 38 of them are from kilkenny. Off topic but found that mad when I seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The modern game is destroyed from fouling.

Hegarty has been the best player of the championship so far.

Hegarty should have been off after 10 minutes, he tried to decapitate a player in the first minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

I know ye like to make Hegarty the boogie man but this is hysterical nonsense not to mind hypocritical (regarding fouling ruining the game). After he got his yellow card he was endlessly fouled by Waterford all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

I thought the scoreline flattered Waterford a bit.

Limerick hit alot of wides that usually go between the posts. They look different level but are definitely beatable.

Sliotar has to go into the full forward line ASAP, you can't run it or pass it up the middle through that green wall

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

30 points would get you the win regardless? Even though one more goal would have made it a draw? That makes no sense.

• Advertisement

If they were so perfect, Waterford wouldn't have got within a point of them in the first place.

They scored two goals when the game was almost over??? Those two goals got them within a point with plenty of time left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

It's not a question of perfection. Nothing or nobody's perfect.

Waterford came within a point of them, posed them a question, and they had the answers.

Throw Kyle Hayes and Lynch into the mix when/if they meet again and they'll be stronger. Logically it looks like Waterford won't beat Limerick this year bar injuries etc.

Waterford, like Mayo in football, have been on that pot so many years and when push came to shove on the biggest days didn't produce any stool.

Limerick are still the best team. But waterford got closer to them today. They might yet meet them twice more this year, but only the last one will matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

Gillane masterful

Dropped the hurley far too much in 2018 … missed out on an all star

lead the Limerick attack on his own today

Possibly hurler of the year on his last few games

bring it

• Advertisement

Completely over the top, that first incident was harmless and was completely exaggerated by the Waterford player.

However I also disagree with the notion that Hegarty was being fouled all night after his deserved yellow, on a couple of occasions he stopped playing because Waterford players had the cheek to tackle him, even Nicky English noticed one of those incidents! He also dramatically threw his arms up in the air to win a free another time.

Fouling is down the list of things negatively impacting the game as a spectacle, after throwing, excessive handpassing, excessive steps, and somewhere among an increase in uncontested scores, increase in long range shooting and wides, decrease in aerial contests and catching, and the ball constantly going out of play (IMO)

Of course, a lot of these are not mutually exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You don't have a clue if you think fouling is a lesser problem than people scoring points.

But it's in line with all your other clueless posts in fairness

Once again your limited comprehension skills come to the fore

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Montys return

Pretty warped analysis that people regard wides hit as a sign of a teams strength rather than actual goals scored?

Limerick hit plenty of wides most days, you're going to when you take that many shots out the field. Bennett had an uncharacteristic bad day on the frees, if he'd nailed them the lead would never have been 6 or 7 points to begin with.

Certainly Limerick have 3 big players to come back this year if they can get them all fit. Waterford have Daly and Barron to return, and Peter Hogan might push to start if fully fit. No guarantee either team will have luck with injuries so we'll have to wait and see.

Big ask beating Limerick any day, especially in the Gaelic Grounds. Still the best team in the Country and will be until some knocks them out of the championship. They couldn't be knocked out of the championship last night, worth keeping in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Rucks for the breaking ball are the most unsightly thing in the game right now. I can't remember the last time a fella just pulled on it. God be with the days of ground hurling masters like Adrian Fenlon.

I know its a percentages thing and possession is king, but the game has become too robotic as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

They are not mutually exclusive. The thrown handpass is the platform for all thats wrong as you describe. Why do the GAA let things rot before they decide to fix them. Lads have been throwing the ball for year but now its endemic.

Yea, as I tried to imply in my last sentence (missing from your quote, it was an edit) these things are not happening in isolation.

In addition to throwing,i think that turning a blind eye to excessive steps year after year, this habit of allowing a few more steps if being tackled for example, has been a major contributor too. It makes it harder to tackle legally and limits defenders options. That's not to say a massive clamp down on steps in the next game will solve all ills but it has helped us get where we are today from a tackling/rucks perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Feeding fast ball into the full forward line sounds easy in theory, in reality your feeding long ball into the best full back line in the game.

As of now, no other team has the players or coaches with the ability to devise and implement a successful strategy to beat Limerick, or even a severely depleted Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Limerick somehow hit 30 points, even though they had difficulties in the forward line.

Lynch, Casey, Flanagan and Hayes out injured.

Boylan struggled. Morrissey not up to the pace of previous years. O’Neill hit some very poor wides. Hegarty was good but also hit some uncharacteristic wides. Mulcahy well past his peak. Ok, Gillane was really on fire.

But still scored 30 points, and looked well capable of scoring 40.

Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Call me an eternal optimist but I think cody is building a team with limerick specifically in mind..has brought pacy wing backs and big men in half forward line..reminds me of 2011 when he had noel hickey corner back all year which only.made sense when he followed eoin kelly in the all Ireland and all the backs followed their men everywhere..

I know we have a long way to go to meet them but have a feeling kilkenny are the 1 team capable of.really rattling limerick.. funnily I'd be more confident against limerick than the likes of.cork even though limerick are.far superior ..we would match them in work rate which most teams don't..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

As a Waterford fan, I'd still be optimistic that they could beat Limerick later in the year. As the ground gets firmer and the pitches wider(Semple, Croker), Waterfords running game will improve. Also there will be much bigger Deise support for future meetings which will be a factor. Lot of comment in papers etc. about lack of Waterford attendance last night but it was a sh1t time to have match, if your from city/east Waterford, you're getting home 11/midnight, too late for families, lots stayed away, shame on GAA.

Deise Abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think there will be a twist in the tail in Munster. Whoever wins today between Tipperary and Clare are right back in the mix. Clare could win today then lose to Cork, Waterford would then have to beat Cork in Round 4. Tipperary win today and makes things even more interesting. Limerick as good as through and have a bye in Round 5 with the chance to experiment in Round 4 away to Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

The ground is very firm for April after unseasonably dry weather since autumn. We're probably more likely to have a wet summer than dry. Waiting for the ground to dry more isn't guaranteed with an Irish summer. You want a team proven to play in all weathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hate to tell you but dry fast ground suits Limerick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

As the ground gets firmer and the pitches wider(Semple, Croker)

Wide pitches and firm ground are exactly where Limerick want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

It wouldn’t be a normal day in Thurles without a clusterfuck in crowd management

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tipp creating plenty of chances but some bad wides and taking too much out of it. Very open game so far, both attacks have lots of space to run into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

This is like watching a different sport to last nights match.

Sad in a way the way the game has gone, would much rather watch a game like today.

Advertisement