Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod note Post #1 - All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2022 (Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Great game to be fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

That's the closest Waterford wil get to Limerick this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Clare and Limerick the only unbeaten teams in Munster. Clare must be delighted to be in this position 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yeah, with Limericks injuries it was the weakest they will be for a while I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Sobering stuff.

Missing lynch, hayes, casey and flanagan and still win and were the better team by probably more than the scoreboard showed. Very hard to see Waterford beating them later in a knockout game. They arent good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Just not enough variation in Waterford's play. Stick rigidly to the plan - just need to mix up the approach every once and a while. Keep Limerick guessing. But I don't know if it would work.

Limerick out worked them around the field and, amazingly, looked the hungrier side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tranquilo

What a team. I suppose that's why they're champions. That was a great game to watch for the neutrals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The only thing I will say, I've often seen teams steel themselves when a key player and spiritual leader went off injured mid-game. Portugal 2016 spring to mind.

Might be a different story when Limerick have to start someone instead of Lynch next day, thus weakening the bench. Emphasis on might.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

3 in a row looks nailed on. Could be 4 could be 5 who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The 2 goals mask the scoreline and the closeness somewhat, the first probably should have been blocked but the second was well taken.

Despite missing a couple of their stars and will probably be stronger in every other game, Limerick were cruising before the 2 goals. Waterford not scoring a point in the last 20 minutes was quite strange.

Great to see Limerick been given a game, but it never really looked like Waterford were actually going to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Yep. Looks very likely. Waterford were the most likely, possibly the only chance of stopping them, but based on what I saw tonight I dont think they have made up that much ground on them.

This team have so many parallels with Dublin in football, from a standards and competition point of view.

What stopped Dublin?

Management and key players retiring in a short space of time, not the other teams improving.

1 point in the last twenty mins from Waterford?

They got figured out early.

You must have different ways of playing. They needed two goals in each half.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

This Limerick team are unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Most of this thread since 7pm has just been bitter little individuals crying and whinging.

Hegarty has been the best player of the championship so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Never looked in danger? Even after being brought back to 1 point with a few minutes left? What game were you watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭Xander10

When is it time for calling for Limerick to be split in to two teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭conor05

There is a 5 in a row in that Limerick team if management and players stay around and no big injuries.

The speed at which they do the basics is frightening, very few dropped balls and always take the right option with and without the ball.

Not if Waterford were still playing Limerick would they have taken the lead.

They went 20 minutes without a point at the end

• Advertisement

3-37 for Galway today. Crazy scoring. Even if it's against Westmeath.

Only 2 ?

At least 3 with East, West and City. And God help the internet forums if we make both Munster finals 🤣

It's little consolation I'm sure but that Westmeath away kit is class.

True. Also the Limerick subs have been written off as a handicap by some. If that didn't fire you up coming on for the big names nothing would.

Ah stop. They're heavy favourites and a great team but no one is unbeatable. That set of players was beaten by a similar Kilkenny set of players 3 years ago. They got a bad start, hit wides, were denied a 65 to draw level. They have come on since but I'd say they'd like to avenge that one.

The 2 big variables being amount of injuries and picking up an early sending off or losing players to indiscipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

So there's still room for improvement. Only one team today looked like scoring goals, and Waterford didn't take all their chances. Maybe the next day they will. And as you say, didn't take their points in the last 20 minutes. They lost by 11 points the last two times they played limerick, today they lost by three. I'd say its still all to play for.

As soon as they were only a point ahead they stretched to 3. Without their 2 best players. That's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I think Limerick would beat Waterford comfortably in future contests.

I'm as happy to see Limerick beaten as the next man, and it would be great for Waterford to do it. The county does deserve it.

But I will also give Limerick credit for the ability they have, and what they have achieved and are in the process of achieving. They are head and shoulders above the rest, unfortunately that includes Waterford.

For sure Waterford scored 2 goals when the game was almost over to prevent what would have otherwise been an embarrassing result considering the talk and hype surrounding the team, hype that's hard to avoid in the media to be honest. Loughnane talked about the subject earlier, and I dont think hes to far wide of the mark

No player and no team has a claim to be top intercounty standard until proving themselves against the best in Championship hurling. Right now, the best by a country mile are Limerick.

Waterford put all their aces on the table, Cahill tried playing games naming Gleeson on the bench, after 10 minutes Limerick's injury list included Lynch, Hayes, Casey and Flanagan, and they never looked in danger IMO. You talk about room for improvement and about it all being to play for, but I'd ask what happens when those guys are fit and back available for Limerick?

• Advertisement

Your mad if you think.only one team "looked like scoring goals" Limerick had a few chances and goal chances are often a desperation move. Currently 30+ points gets you the win regardless of how you come to get that far

Advertisement