Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sick of propping up non performing farms

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Just letting you know man. You might not be aware of it, or might not intend it, but your posts on the thread come across with a tinge of bitterness and jealousy for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

you obviously dont know much about tractors - this ford 7610 is much more reliable than any new tractor you will buy. no electrics to go wrong.

new massey's parked up all over the country with electrical problems.

farmers like their comforts, regardless of who pays for them - they love the fast tractor, with stereo and comfy seat, with a passenger seat for the kids or the missus. suspension cab in case a few pot holes on the road!

Sure if you aren’t making anything from it why didn’t you rent it out? You’d get the money tax free and have more time to yourself.

I don’t agree with handouts for farmers over the sfp. Maybe supports for tillage in the current crisis but not the other sectors.

A couple of years ago they were paying out finisher supports when the factory price dropped and 6 months later the price was back up when demand stabilised.

Id say if this crisis drags on it will see a lot more farmers pack it in especially if they can’t make a margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

I'll never not be shocked at the general public's ignorance when it comes to farming and how food is made. It doesn't help that its been explained multiple times to toddler levels in this thread but people still can't understand or grasp the basic concepts of subsidising an industry that benefits the EU by being on its knees.

I am no way pro-war/pandemic but the growing dangers to food security are a well needed shake up. I look forward to future moaning threads about mince being €12/kg, milk €4/L and €5 a loaf for inedible Irish grain bread when farmers get paid properly for their produce.

Dude. That yoke is only 95hp or so. It wouldn't drive half of the machines here. You obviously don't know much about tractors. Things have moved on since the 1980's. We already have a 95hp tractor here that is kept as much for sentimental value as anything. (And it's about 15 years fresher than your DD one) It gets a few handy jobs over the Summer. A decent yoke to have now what with the price of diesel, but it wouldn't be able for a lot of jobs. Bit of topping or turning hay or driving a wrapper. It's too small even for pulling trailers for drawing silage with the trailers used.

You say you work in construction? You must make a fortune. Where other lads are going off paying big money for excavators and diggers for site preparation, you must be getting all the work because you can undercut them and still make a fortune by landing in with your pick and shovel and wheelbarrow.

i did collect it when my kids were of age, and was grateful for it. but i wasn't moaning every day saying i needed more!!!

if i wasnt able to support them myself, i wouldn't have had them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

U collected it all the same, u sound like a bitter lad that the brother got the farm , nothing but jealousy and ignorance here by u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

No you’re wrong. Them clauses are regularly written out of contracts by poorly organised contractors who either don’t understand how their contracts work or who can’t depend on the quality of their previous work to get the contract they are pricing so they eliminate them clauses as a sweetener to get the job.

Idiots is what they’d be more commonly referred to and if you are dealing with them things every day and you don’t understand how them clauses work then I’m afraid that’s the category you fall into also. The contracts without them clauses would be the “back of the matchbox” contracts, the proper professionals who understand the contracts have the clauses in place.

You be best off learning how to do your own job instead of trying to start arguments online on topics you’re poorly educated on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,310 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The country needs certain elements to function, and at a price people can pay.

Fuel/Energy, Food... if a govenment has to subsidise these, fine. its the price of having a functioning society.

My tax may as well help farmers as anything else it goes towards. There are plenty of govenment schemes I could call out, but there is a general need and it should be accepted, that a govenment will need to step in.

You’re knowledge of tractors appears to be as poor as your knowledge of construction.

It’s time to find a new hobby I’d say as your not getting on too well with your current one of trying to put people down on an anonymous forum. Maybe take up reading, that way you might find some good books on construction or machinery that will help you to educate yourself. You never know, you might win the next argument then.

• Advertisement

What good would any of them front line workers have been if they had nothing to eat

Farmers are and always will be the most important people on the planet. Prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭893bet

You know the saying about arguing with a fool lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭White Clover

What do you mean never ending. I think you think you know more than you do.

Subsidised by €135 per person per year versus pay the true cost plus a margin for your food. That's the 2 choices you have.

Do you have any idea of the true cost of producing the fully traceable high quality safe food that you take for granted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

I wonder what the price of a steak or an egg or a litre of milk would be without subs throughout Europe?

On the back of a fag packet....With everything else remaining the same price (which undoubtedly it wouldn't)

A 100acre medium quality land suckler to beef farm to support a family should take in 50k profit( average industrial wage + asset value). Atm it probably does 10000 profit. And an average cap sub of 10000. So to make up the shortfall its profit would have to increase by 500%. So beef at the factory has for a very long time been hovering around 4/kg. That would go to 20/kg.

Grain/sheep/pig ..almost everything else would have to rise in a similar fashion.

Milk is a different kettle of fish. Probally only a doubling.

Before major farm subs ...1960's , after people paid their rent food was the big expense. Accounting for 1/3 of their budget (and that was basic food...not mark and spencers).

I can buy my weekly food ..healthy nutritional etc. for 20 quid in the supermarket.....thats less than 2hrs work in the worst paying job. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Not really convinced by your arguments, tbh - you're suggesting that there will be revolutions and wars if we don't continue to subsidise (relatively) inefficient Irish beef production? Presumably people in Ireland would be able to just purchase beef (or mutton, or some other equivalent) from somewhere else. I imagine that more wars and revolutions could be prevented if a bit less of the 40% of the world's total grain production was fed to farm animals, and was used to feed people instead.

You do realise it’s farmers that grow the grain as well?

Beef production isn't subsidised. I already told you you are 20 years behind. Payments were decoupled from production.

There is no point trying to have a conversation with someone who is basing their argument over the way things used to be 20 years ago.

It would be a bit like me coming on here and trying to say to you that it is difficult to make a living as a taxi driver because taxi plates are so restricted they can cost nearly as much as a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Most of those that got it weren't on the front line no more than the farmers, typical civil/public service effort for doing what was their job. they were doing no more than farmers do this time of year EVERY year. shop workers were more on the front line than any medics.

Typical Irish civil service effort...... public disservice again ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I m Just shocked that no one bothers listen to all the agri experts that appear in these type of threads.for what it's worth maybe these supports would be widely missed by almost everyone else more than your full-time farmer that's trying to make a living.

• Advertisement

Cos there's a narrative out there that farmers are greedy and always whinging, so when Joe Public that believes that narrative hears an explanation (whether it's a good/bad explanation is debatable) from a farmer it'll be binned automatically due to farmer man being bad.

It's sorta like @wrangler and the civil service 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

no , your wrong. covid wont fall into any of those clauses. i guarantee you , no gov contracts will be changing contract sums for covid or increased inflation.

hahaha!! i might be better off - might make more profit than the boys with the big machines!

• Advertisement

Some of the points are not realistic.

Plenty of lads have to spend big money on machines - not because they want a fancy toy but because it is an essential tool to their work. 25 years ago we got away with a 95HP yoke when we made 3-400 bales of silage a year at home. Although that was also for a baler with no knives and didn't pack as tight as modern bales. Fast forward to today and it would be more than 5X that amount. A big job back then would have been 80 bales on the ground to be picked up in a day. Nowadays, a busy day is 300+. There is no scope for downtime of machines or unreliability.

A tillage man with a massive 200HP machine and plough sticking out the back of it isn't just buying a big toy. He's putting the money into that because it is the only way he can get enough ground covered to make it viable. The days of having local lads on call whenever you need to get them in for a day or two here or there to drive a tractor for you for small money are gone. He can't have two or three small tractors. Go big or go home.

Same as how the lads on site with the wheelbarrows and shovels are replaced by the little mini-digger. The mini-digger isn't cheap but it's less expensive and more reliable than trying to get a few random lads in with wheelbarrows for a few days. It's not an expensive toy. You just can't run your business like that now.

No you're wrong. I can't keep explaining it to you. And actually the government contracts are the most guaranteed to change. Don't take my word for it, ask someone higher up in whatever construction job your in that actually deals with contracts and not just the other "go-for" you're sitting with at lunch time. Check Gov.ie for the press release from Minister McGrath about it. Even just google it, anything at all, you don't have to take my word for it, the information is all there for anyone to see.

Now as 893bet reminded us earlier there is a reason for not arguing with a fool so I won't be replying any more as everything I'm saying can be verified and the information is all there for anyone to see, everything you are spouting here is rubbish and that's plain for all to see.

yes, please dont reply any more. you cant seem to handle being corrected, and need to resort to name calling - very mature!! i can imagine the contracts your working on !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MOD: I think this has reached the end of its use, so we'll leave you with the last word, as seems your wont.

Thread closed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement