Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Lets see this from another context, would you not over throw the Russian Government or the Israel government right now if giving the chance?

And you’ve no problem with the Gardai being used as a private security thugs to ram hundred’s of IPAS into every place that they can get away with? Even though people are protesting it. Some democracy eh!

Oh I’ll debate whatever you want, lets go!

You might wanna tell that to Anca, whataboutery is his favourite word to throw around when things aren’t going his way. Seen many times on different threads.

But like i said earlier, no point talking to you leftys because life’s far to short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

And Ireland has free transparent elections, Russia does not. In relation to Israel, I'd prefer if the government was ousted via a vote tbh. And people are free to oust existing political parties in an election in Ireland so there's absolutely no need for a violent overthrow or to engage in arson. The reality is these people know they wouldn't win the public vote so engage in intimidation instead.

So guess I wasn't talking ****.

Have you ever even though about how our elections work?

They only give the illusion of choice, you have no choice, they’ll all jump into bed with each other and form the same policy’s.

Lets just say we elected a very extreme far right candidate’s on the coming elections.
    are you happy to put up with 5 years off there policys and wait like a good boy until we can vote them out?

Or would you be out protesting?

Protesting is very different to arson attacks tbh, I fully support the right to peaceful protest... Our government however much you dislike them have a mandate as will the next government. And no, a handful of far right extremists who can't even get elected don't have a sudden right to overthrow the government because they're unelectable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"Illusion of choice", would you ever give it a rest? How come we never see right wingers (who apparently care so much about the country), out doing good for their community? Organising litter clean ups? Hosting free music or art classes? It's always angry, vitriolic, often violent behaviour.

Instead of just appearing when there's an election (or setting fire to places that refugees are set to come to), where's the good they do in the meantime?

It's mainly for this reason (and Irish people are generally pretty easy going), that I doubt we'll ever have a very extreme far right candidate get elected, even though with the way out system works (proportional representation) they stand a MUCH better chance than say, the UK with it's first past the post system.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HakunaJuanMata

Remember when the left used to be anti war? How times change.

whats causing the arson attacks?
    oh bs i can guarantee if there was a very right wing government leftys would be out burning things aswell. No doubt whatsoever

You make getting elected sound like it’s so easy, perhaps you should try it. And there’s every chance these “right wing extremism” 🙄 will get elected, all because of a weak left government.

Leave Russia to invade Ukraine wouldn't bring out peace, it would allow for large scale genocide and war crimes. It's just a false concept of peace. George Orwell who would have been on the left called out the likes of HG Wells during WW2 for backing such a strategy of leaving Germany off, it just allowed for the danger of Nazism to grow.

https://orwell.ru/library/reviews/wells/english/e_whws

You can fantasise about that scenario but the reality is you seem to actively support thugs and are an apologist for their crimes. You're trying to justify it and it's not justifiable. And tbh, I think we're just ramping up to a point where we end up with our own Jo Cox scenario.

It's also pretty telling that a fair proportion of people running in the far right have a long history of violence. Patriots like Philip Dwyer who couldn't hold down a job cause he kicked dogs in the head or Heasman who engaged in domestic abuse. Then you've got the others who felt entitled to harass library staff the library having books that they didn't like. The arsonists are likely to be the same types, they're thugs who like to intimidate. And then you have the people who seem to have a poor grasp of democracy that they think such intimidation is fine.

Guessing you'll say I'm full of **** though. 😊

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Right wing extremism is causing the arson attacks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2024/05/24/it-is-becoming-a-living-hell-residents-of-dublin-housing-complex-protest-against-anti-social-behaviour/

i wonder why the patriot heroes of east wall and coolock etc. aren't protecting these people from violent scum given they protect are women and children etc.?

Very lazy.

Most would agree it’s soft left policies such as our immigration control.

And ramming people into areas that really they shouldn’t be doing, in a so called democracy!

no stop puttingword’s into my mouth again like you always do, jump to conclusions without context.

Would you call the people that started the war that got us Our independence from Britain thugs?

Iv seen plenty videos of you left on the Internet & your all capable of extremes and are the gombeens that tend to start trouble. The only difference is the Corporate media is on the left side so we never hear about their antics.

Humour me. What's your idea of a better voting system?

Erm. "Soft left policies" are not setting buildings on fire. I'd also doubt most people would blame the policies over the people with the accelerant

But you're reminding me of that song, "Guns don't kill people, rappers do".

Yes they ultimately are.
    How many buildings got burned down before they were earmarked for accommodation of hundreds of foreign men? And before Gardai started deploying riot squads to peaceful protests?

The government’s policies are the fuel & oxygen needed to start a fire, and we all no there’s plenty of scum willing to be the spark that ignites it.

Start peeling the onion mate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL you are thinking of FPtP, in PR/STV voting for someone else doesn't remove a vote from someone you don't want to be elected.

FPtP which im guessing you are gonna say is better is inherently undemocratic, there has been been just 1 government in the UK elected by a majority of voters in the last 100 years and it was a coalition. Labour who are polling on less than 50% are predicted to win a majority of 60%+ of seats.

The last tory government won 43.6% of the vote but got 56% of seats

• Advertisement

But...

They're not though.

People (probably men, let's be honest) made the decision that instead of engaging with the authorities, lit a match and set buildings on fire. That's a decision someone with the power of a decision made.

They could have done lots of other things, but nope, set a fire.

Riot squads do not get deployed to peaceful protests. (Trust me, I have been on many).

We were an occupied territory without the ability to self determine or self govern. So it wasn't a remotely similar scenario. They were also highly intelligent political minds, pretty clear that Blighe et al are angry morons.

Post edited by eightieschewbaccy on

Because you're a spoofer. I thought I'd do the decent thing and only challenge ONE aspect of that post, thinking you might show me a better way to elect people than prstv, but of course you can't.

I never classed people that do good as left. You assumed that. I only pointed out that I never, ever, ever have seen these right wingers that profess an undying devotion to their country, actually walk around with a bin bag, picking up litter, or scrubbing graffiti off a wall. I never ever see them trying to make the place a better place to live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, Ireland's not a real democracy because we don't have a Nazi government and the 21st century variety are like freedom fighters…

This thread's gone in a weird direction.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's not lazy at all. Arson and attacks on buildings is all part of right wing extremism and hatred. The attempts to excuse and justify arson are pathetic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Our system has the absolute least of "vote for someone cause you hate the others" of any system out there. The US and UK systems force you to vote for the lesser of two evils; cause there is no other option.

If you thinks ours is bad, you don't understand electoral systems. Ours is world class. Allows you to vote for a party but reject a specific candidate (see Alan Shatter losing a seat to his running mate, for instance); doesn't force party lists on people; is properly proportional at least when 5 seat constituencies are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

If you think that this is weird you need to look in at the Time for a zero..thread !

No, honestly !

There's not enough balance poster wise .

Everyone there thanking posts praising some of these thugs protesting , calling the police etc traitors , and supporting all sorts in the name of "the people " ..

It's like walking into The Twilight Zone !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭francois

Fash are vocal on social media, they're in for a wake up when the bunch of ratlickers find out support from MAGA and loyalist troll accounts can't vote. Al those likes are generally from abroad.

Already some are claiming rigged elections, without realising STV voting system is one of the most robust.

Thick cùnts the lot of them, candidates include wife beaters and drug dealers, who never actually were involved in local issues. Grifters one and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And Russia have been spending lots of dosh influencing via bought rag media and socials coming up to the elections .

Don't think bots can vote either .

Advertisement