Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large residential development in Blanch Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There will be charging for non-residential places so that will sort itself.

Long-term the government objective under the Climate Action Plan is to reduce car journeys. Reducing car journeys is facilitated by reducing car parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ultraviolence

Government can make any objectives they want. Car parking and driving will always be a thing. Every shopping centre large or small will have car parking. The aldi that was granted planning in clonsilla is coming with parking. Even new houses coming with driveways. So on that basis car trips are here to stay and rightfully so. That objective is for the entire country not just the blanchardstown shopping centre. So judging by the packed buses blanchardstown shopping centre is already doing its bit by reducing car trips.

Also dropping off is a thing.. you can drop off people at the shopping centre and go on with your day. Car trips arent going anywhere and this is acknowleged by the applicant of this development hence why they are providing replacement parking. And hence why the first development is increasing the multi storey carpark.

I also think people that rely on the bus for every journey should be quite happy that people also have a choice to drive. or do you want us all hogging up seats on the bus with shopping bags? Buses already crowded so 'reducing car trips' has been happening ever since bus routes were introduced. Just a small thought to finish it off...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Plenty of ammo for the businesses to refer to, in the farcical loss of trade in Liffey Valley since the carparking charges came in.

I'm aware the new bus hub at Liffey Valley hasn't actually begun operating yet, so the impact of that will have to be assessed, but it does show how pure stupid it was to begin the parking charges many months before the improvement in bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Have Liffey Valley retailers said there's a farcical loss in trade? Last time I was there post charges the carpark didn't seem any less busier than usual. Like everything like this, people will whinge and moan, but it won't affect their routines too much.

Granted planning permission. quite surprised to see that they did not reduce the 16 storey building as they often reduce apartment heights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

Where are you seeing the planning permission granted?

https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/315709 an bord pleanala website link

Height reductions are not really happening anymore in locations that are spacious and relatively new neighbourhoods themselves. Only where overshadowing could be a concern do you see it.

For example, the Sandyford Central development nearing completion opposite the Stillorgan Luas Stop is 19 storeys at its tallest and works fine in its setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Unbelievable stupid site in terms of future potential/development of the retail centre itself. No real problems with the height and since permission is granted it's better to build high than occupy the space with low rise apartments but once the apartments are built that's it for future land available for the shopping centre.

It's no more than the likes of Heuston St talking about selling land for the building of apartments a couple of years ago, zero foresight for future needs and improvements. Guess Ireland never thought more than a few years down the line, what about decades and even centuries to come?

Yes height reductions dont occur all the time but i just find the whole thing all over the place. I said it before but i am of the opinion that if we are building 16 storeys etc outside the m50 then apartments inside the m50 should be higher unless theres some reasoning why it cannot happen.

opened the journal app 10 mins ago to refresh the news and i see an article about apartments granted in fairview reduced from 13storeys to 11storeys by dublin city council.

two days ago i have seen news articles about some site in dundrum and heights were reduced following meetings with local residents...((Initially, the LDA planned to deliver 1,200 new housing units, including a 14-storey apartment block.

However, following public consultation, the height was scaled back to 11-storeys.

This was then further reduced to seven-storeys when permission was sought in March 2022.)) copy pasted those lines..

The barnhill lands near hansfield train station were asked to reduce a 11storey and9storey block by 3 and 4 storeys..

I am not even a fan of tall apartment blocks but if we are building high in one area then the same should be done elsewhere.. but look its granted permission so lets hope building starts soon-ish and get it over with.

• Advertisement

Looking at the ABP decision, it seems that its going to be delivered in very distinct stages over the next five or six years, or at least from when they start.

It'll be some manner of a building site probably out to 2030.

Why does the retail centre need further expansion? And why can't it happen within the current footprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

A bigger Cinema was being talked about for one thing. But just space is nice to have too. The loss of car parking is the biggest immediate issue. I think the days of bringing your weekly shopping home on the bus are long gone.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Can you please explain about bringing the weekly shop on the bus being gone? I don't understand the connection with the new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

The usual response to "There isnt enough parking as it is" is to get the bus.

“Roll it back”

Won't people just be bringing their weekly shopping across the road, when the new apartments are built? Beats the bus and the car.

As for the loss of car parking, only an issue for those who live far away. The new cinema was to be built on the Yellow Car Park if I remember correctly, stalled because people aren't going to the cinema in the same numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That car park they're due to build on is the main one Draiocht and Library users use. It's actually a bigger deal to those people than to shoppers.

It's not just that one, it's the one beside Smyths that is being built on as well.

It will make the Centre more vibrant if all that housing is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well larger cinema days are also gone. Most cinemas are struggling to stay afloat since covid.

Hopefully they can refurbish the roads and car parks while they're at it. The whole Centre is outdated and needs modernisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

If the centre needs more retail development in the future it could build up higher too. No way it needs a bigger cinema. I go there regularly and most of the time the majority of seats around me are empty.

There are huge numbers of people who live within a 30 minute drive of the centre but are not on a bus route to it. Plus all those living further up towards Cavan, Ashbourne etc who are not on a bus route. It's very naive to think everyone can hop easily on a bus to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It will make the Centre more vibrant if all that housing is built.

I think it will accelerate the decline of Blanch as a 'destination' for shopping, and move it further towards being more of a local amenity. Like, the quality of the shops has declined massively in the last 5 years. Liffey Valley is miles ahead now and throwing 2,000 apartments up won't attract anyone on day trips.

I don't know if it's a bad thing or not.

To be honest, for Dublin 15 residents, less people travelling to a "destination" will be better for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

The Blanch Ghetto is coming along nicely

Taller buildings = ghetto is it?

I must be sure to avoid Sandyford, Kilmainham and Donnybrook so.

Not to mention most major cities in the whole World.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not entirely sure how building loads of housing bang in the middle of infamous traffic bottleneck will be better.

It's a very confused planning to have built a major shopping center, and huge housing developments so that all their traffic uses the same routes and blocks each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭rameire

Bus connects is the answer.

That's how those and other people will get around.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Bus connects are their own thing. It's a different discussion.

Personally I think they are over loading the limited infrastructure that already has problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

One of the issues with planning so far has been allowing too many homes in locations where people need to drive to get to work, shops, schools, recreation facilities etc.

Fortunately this facility is within close proximity of shops, sports clubs, parks (Millennium Park Playground is fantastic), schools from primary to third level and public transport hubs. I think most people moving in there will genuinely not need a car, and I'd expect the car-sharing providers like Go Car to be very popular on odd day when a person might want access to a car.

It is exactly the place where high density construction should be pursued as opposed to pushing out development out somewhere else.

100% agree with this.

Furthermore, the Crown Plaza Hotel and the Q Building have already set the height guidelines for the site.

• Advertisement

Many will still drive. So the fact remains it's going to put even more pressure on an already heavily congested location.

Advertisement