Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large residential development in Blanch Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Very interesting.

After that, there won't be a huge amount of unused space.

Any further phase would have to see an intensification of existing use either through demolishing or building above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Slight overreaction.

They will be 50 metres from the nearest home on the Whitestown side. And although they will be visible, they won't take any light away from those homes as the southerly and westerly aspect will be unobstructed.

Also, they aren't "city centre" style apartments, they are higher density living at well served public transport hubs in a wider urban area. Its what cities do all over the World.

We cannot expect to sustainably take Dublin forward without these scale of developments at strategic locations. Again, they'll probably get 60 to 70% of what they've applied for here, instead of a max 16 storeys, they'll get 12 or 13.

Agreed, and there are a number of similar locations around Dublin where similar development is taking place. If we are ever to house our children, we need these kinds of developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Some of the earlier posts calling for 3/4 stories max, and that this is more suited to the inner city, are totally laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ultraviolence

Yes, city centre/inner city type apartment blocks.

I just find it interesting how its okay to build high rise apartments in suburban locations outside the m50 but when similar developments are proposed within the m50 and in the dcc boundary, people become rowdy and not supportive. Buildings of 16 stories and up should be built within the dublin city council boundaries, not outside the m50, making people commute on already crowded public transport. Build your skyscraper fantasies in the city centre where they belong.

Its not even just the shopping centre, city centre like apartment blocks are being proposed at the diswellstown road. Situated beside the newly built apartments near st mochtas that were just purchased by an investment fund. I dont recall diswellstown road being a 'transport hub'?

Forgot to mention but in the application it stated that the last phase of around 2000 residential units are dependent on the delivery of a luas to blanchardstown which will not be happening anytime soon so thats a bit of good news!

If 16 stories is appropriate for the suburbs then i would love to know what is appropriate for dublin city council locations because i am not seeing any 16 story apartments! A lot of newish apartment blocks are nowhere near 16 stories.

Post edited by ultraviolence on

• Advertisement

Donnybrook, right now

Sandyford, right now

Cabra / Finglas South, right now

Please stop talking baseless nonsense.

I don't remember saying there was not any 16 storey buildings but plenty of apartment blocks are nowhere near that high when they should be as they are within dublin city council boundaries. Plenty of new build to rent apartments not even at 10 stories let alone 16.

'Densify' the city centre and inner city first before worrying about suburban locations outside the m50.

My original comment was not positive or negative. I just provided the details about the development.City centre like apartment blocks are what they are and will be referred to as such.

Not even mentioning Cherrywood, which is also inside the M50 and probably has more than those three put together.

Density is needed in more than just the inner city. Dublin needs high development in places like Blanch, unless you'd prefer the city to just keep moving further and further out?

That Ballymore one in Finglas/Cabra does look imposing, but it's fine, right beside a huge industrial area. Great location for residents, beside the canal and new train station.

• Advertisement

My point precisely.

But @ultraviolence, the location inside or outside the M50 is largely irrelevant. Its about strategic development locations in the contiguous urban area that are, or are planned to be, public transport hubs and places with excellent services.

Blanchardstown is both of those and is just 1.5 kms from the M50 if you're counting.

Dublin can't move further out as it has a greenbelt. D15 is covered by a greenbelt - cant speak for non-fingal areas but we have greenbelts over here. You cant build wherever you want so 'moving futher out' should not be an issue as it cannot happen as of now. There were many requests from developers to change zonings from greenbelt to residential example at clonsilla station to residential but were rightfully rejected as greenbelt land needs to stay greenbelt to prevent dublin from extending further out.

There's a difference between development and a 16 story block. This is part of an overall development, not having a 16 story block is not going to do any harm. Plenty of apartments are to be built if people would read the application that was linked.

The developer of these apartments understands that busconnects will not be enough and therefore around 2000 units will not begin construction until a luas services the location. Such a 'transport hub' this is.

One development that comes to my mind are the blocks on griffith avenue, such a central location near many bus routes and amenities but nothing over 10 stories? Maybe if developments like this were taller, you wouldnt have developers coming outside the m50 wanting to build higher? Why are apartments at this location not over 15stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I hope to see some of the local representatives making submissions to support this proposal rather than their usual NIMBYism.

This post doesn't make any sense at all unless your position is that the population must remain stable. If you want to preserve greenbelts, you have to build upwards, especially along transport corridors.

Edit: If a station was built at Porterstown, this development would be 22 minutes from DART West.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kearnc25

The people that support this type of accommodation here are the same type of people that support it in the city centre, I highly doubt anyone here is saying yeah build it in Blanch but not the Docklands.

18 months out from the local elections, I seriously doubt it.

But it is happening. I regularly pass through the back ends of Clonee, and there's new estates popping up all the time, where it used to be farmland.

I also don't think it's a fair comparison between Griffith Woods and this proposed development. How many apartments are planned for Blanch, 350 or so? Griffith Woods has 1600. At first I thought it would be an overdevelopment of the site, but it actually fits in really well.

The rents for a one bed start at €1900 though, which is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm going to ask anyone who knocks on my door how many submissions they made and how many were positive ones.

Im not quite sure how my post does not make sense as someone said if you dont build up, dublin will extend further out and i said this area is covered by greenbelts. Preserving greenbelts is not my decision its the councils and i gave one example out of many where they rejected rezoning greenbelt. So Dublin extending further out should not be a problem over here.

'Building up along transport corridors' this is already happening along the train line.. 2 large applications currently with ABP. One of those applications want 24 blocks of apartments, 12storey tallest block,(804 apts total)... so building near the railway line is happening.

@ Citizen Six There are 972 apartments in this scheme. planning permission was given for another few hundreds of apartments near blanch library and more are planned as this is an overall development for the area. They have a target population of around 8-12thousand.

Yes. Whats the problem of a target population of 8-12,000in a well serviced area?

I acknowledge that provision of Schools is an issue that will need serious and prior attention, but other than that, its good news for businesses, employers, retailers and local clubs and interest groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

Website for new application.

Don't think I saw it. Posted.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Eh i dont recall saying a population of 8k-12k is a problem? Someone above said the griffith avenue scheme is larger so i then i referred back to the population increase of this scheme as it is infact larger than the griffith avenue one.

Some people think its just one application when the entire shopping centre is being developed as part of an overall scheme so thats why i mentioned the population increase..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Polar101

More likely we'll see them doing a photo op in the shopping centre parking lot. "Save our parking spaces, say no to housing!"

What are the actual figures? You mention about 1300 apartments, but an increase in population of around 10,000. How does that work?

The location for apartments at an ugly shopping centre, versus a long established, tree lined avenue have to be considered differently also.

Doesn't look too bad. Same New London style of architecture that's popping up everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

Nice, I just hope it gets built.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Well there's already a slow down on apartment starts, and developers who paid over the odds buying sites are having trouble.

I guess once the government give them high enough tax breaks it'll all be ok. And they'll just rent them back off the developer anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Green light for €450m Blanchardstown Centre apartment scheme despite strong opposition (breakingnews.ie)

One thing that struck me about that article,

"As part of the plan, the applicants are proposing to sell 97 units for social housing to Fingal County Council for €44.9 million." 

That works out at about €462k each, what the heck. I know there will be a mix of prices in there for one, two three beds but that is a shocking amount. Also expecting it to take 10 years to be complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭victor8600

I think it's a good development, the residents of these apartments will have super easy access to shops on one side and (very importantly ;)) to the Krispy Kreme donuts cafe on the other side. I suppose it's the convenience factor that would add to the value of the development.

The main concern for me would be the traffic and the parking space around the shopping centre -- it is bad enough now in peak times, and the development removes a good part of the parking space.

Advertisement