Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30k speed limits for all urban areas on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I hear the out of touch 'Taliban' in the RSA are still going full tilt for reducing road speeds across many roads. Such a simplistic, authoritarian approach that will be ignored by those who are likely to be driving dangerously. The RSA are not fit for purpose and Liz O'Donnell should be shown the door.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've also phoned gardai (using bluetooth) whilst driving to alert them to specific issues I've seen on the roads (drunk and dangerous driving for example).

actually, on that note - i was telling a neighbour that i'd the local garda station as a contact in my phone so i'd be able to ring them without having to look up the number. they were surprised; i wonder how many people actually do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

This is your regular public service announcement that @SeanW 's argument revolves around a completely illogical assumption that road deaths result from some uniquely outlandish behaviour on the part of drivers involved in fatal collisions that no other drivers ever demonstrate.

In the real world a large number of drivers are willing to overtake when they can't quite see far enough ahead and take their chance that they will get back on their own side in time. Most of the time that has no negative outcome but, in a small number of tragic cases, an approaching car appears where the overtaking driver had gambled it wouldn't be.

In the real world a large number of drivers are willing to chance taking a look at their phone while driving and hope that nothing untoward happens during their moment of distraction. Most of the time that has no negative outcome but, in a small number of tragic cases, they drift out of lane at just the wrong time or just fail to notice that the car in front has started to indicate and slow down.

In the real world a large number of drivers are willing to travel at a speed slightly faster than that which would give them enough time to stop when something happens ahead of them. Most of the time that has no negative outcome but, in a small number of tragic cases, they come around a bend with just a little to much speed to keep tight enough in to their own side of the road at the exact time that another car is coming around the bend towards them.

In the real world road deaths occur when commonly exhibited unsafe behaviour coincides with another road user being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, in SeanW's world, road deaths occur because of some very specific behaviour by a tiny fraction of drivers, that no other drivers in the country exhibit. Yet he can never actually articulate what that behaviour is. He only defines it by its outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Indeed I heard Liz O’Donnell on the RTE lunchtime news today with the usual spiel about speeding, and the higher number of fatalities this year etc.etc. . Dobbo attempted to ask her how many fatalities this year were directly attributable to speeding, but she carried on talking over him hardly pausing to draw breath like a seasoned politician so he couldn’t get a word in edgeways. Dobbo being Dobbo didn’t follow up and repeat the question when she finally stopped talking , he just wound up the interview.
    Has that question ever been answered officially i wonder? How many fatalities are directly and SOLELY as a result of speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

More and more cars are coming with on-board wifi now.

Did you read the article you linked to at all?

"there were 188,000 private vehicles on Irish roads without insurance, which is one-in-12 - the second highest in the EU."

Seanie's theory is that errant/dangerous drivers are the 'rare exception' and we wouldn't too much enforcement impacting ODDs. This data suggests that we need a lot more enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes, it was very obvious that Dobbo was asking for justification for the RSAs proposals. But she simply ignored it as you say. Two fingers to the public and they'll just carry on as they see fit. If only we could elect people to the RSA..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Of course I read it, how else do you think I was able to arrive at those 188,000 representing just 8.6% of the total and having only one sixth the rate of accidents of insured vehicles? The amount of BS in Irish society trying to play up uninsured cars as a huge problem is bonkers and completely disproportionate to the very minor problem they actually represent.

The real problem, and one that is very serious, is the sky's the limit litigation system Ireland allows. It makes insurance expensive, motivating some to avoid insurance.

When I started driving, my car registration cost of about €180, also included 3rd party personal injury insurance coverage. The government was the insurer, and instead of allowing insane, limitless claims, created a defined injury system with fixed maximum payments for each and every type of injury, thus keeping costs contained. There was no legal requirement for insurance because every registered car was covered for personal injury.

New Zealand has the most intelligent insurance system of any country I have ever come across. Ireland is a disgusting legal cesspit. The degree to which Irish society is rigged to require the legal profession and it's massive fees at every turn is insane. I lived 30 years in Australia and never needed to engage or pay a lawyer for anything, and that includes buying and selling properties, and administering a deceased estate which included filing for and getting a grant of probate and transferring a property, which took less than 2 hours and cost about €80.

That's some hobby horse you have there about the insurance and legal industry. If you want to do conveyancing or probate yourself without engaging a solicitor here, there's no legal impediment to this. You might find it hard to get a bank to lend property on the basis of your assurances of a good and marketable title to the property, unless you're a solicitor with indemnity insurance backing you up.

While there is merit to some of your points, it's very easy to moan about huge claims, right up until you have a family member with a life-changing injury that requires lifetime car, physical adaptations to the house, or maybe even moving house.

We do now have a 'book of quantum' specific levels of payouts for specific injuries. If the claimant chooses to sue for additional damages over and above these levels, they pay their own legal costs, either directly or coming off their settlement. You can't compare international systems and payouts unless you also compare the care systems that are available to provide support also.

one in twelve uninsured is a HUGE problem. At a minimum, it means that our insurance is about 8% higher than it needs to be, because we're all paying for those who won't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As well as having a better insurance and legal system, the health system is in another league, so those injured in accidents requiring treatment and long term care fare better, even though motoring insurance costs are a lot less.

Everyone with a variable rate mortgage of €200K is paying €3K more in servicing costs per year because of deliberate government policy to deprive mortagage lenders of legal redress against defaulters. I really doubt that the 1.3% of uninsured accident claims is driving up car insurance costs by much.

It is a hobby horse, but you might have one too if you had something drag out for four years and cost you €25k in legal and accountancy fees because the law is an ass, where the same issue in Australia would have cost zero and wouldn't have even needed a solicitor or accountancy firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

So explain why despite all this dangerous behaviour, Ireland has among the best road safety stats in the world, just slightly worse than Norway? Either:

• Irish drivers are just incredibly lucky. Like winning the lotto jackpot repeatedly sort of lucky.
    • Genuinely dangerous behaviour is nowhere near as common as you allege, ergo, it does not show up in the data.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

More DCC nonsense, obviously Mr Shakespeare is as much of an anti car zealot as his predecessors Keegan & Cuffe , keeping a manual gearbox under 30km means a lower gear with higher rev's and thus higher emissions , what about scooters that are supposed to be restricted to 24km per hour but I regularly pace at almost 50km per hour , the orthopedic hospital in cappagh will tell you the majority of their patients are e-scooter & cycle users , I'd wager there are far more fatalities on secondary & national routes , all probably a moot point since there's little or no enforcement ! How many drivers have been fined for exceeding the Quays 30kph limit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭loco_scolo

Noise pollution for one. Particulate pollution from tyres another. Dust, dirt, mud pollution during and after wet weather, for another.

And emissions are not higher at low speed. This is misleading and factually inaccurate.

A traffic jam inching along in 1st or 2nd gear will have higher emissions, but the jam will exist regardless of 30kmh or 50kmh speed limits. An increasing number of cars are either hybrid/electric, or have stop start systems, which minimize emissions during high traffic.

The main cause of emissions is during acceleration. So every time you move off a junction and accelerate to 50kph, you generate more emissions than if you accelerated to 30kph, where you can comfortably drive in 3rd or 4th gear in the vast majority of cars, unless they are large 2 litre engines or higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'i like a laugh just as much as the next man, but this has gone too far!'

again, inputs and outputs. you're looking at it from the perspective of the steering wheel.

another way of looking at it - ireland and NL are not very highly separated in terms of overall road deaths, but approx half of road deaths in NL are cyclists. this article might help explain why; the graphs are a stark indicator of why a bare stat about road deaths can conceal deeper truths.

TL;DR - we are third last out of 29 countries for use of bikes as main mode of transport.

actually, worth noting as well that the table SeanW posts uses data compiled mainly in or from 2019. 2019 was close to ireland's all time historical low, and the fatality stats for 2023 are nearly one third higher than 2019 (and are trending even higher for 2024).

would be curious if the same trend is evident elsewhere, or is it pure 'luck' for ireland that our data was captured at an opportune time?

If your first thought on the 22nd of Feb 2022 (the day Putler invaded Ukraine) was "how can I make this about Irish motorists" then you're not a parodist, you're someone who needs psychological help.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given that particular twitter account exists to parody driving culture in Ireland, I'm surprised that you had to scroll through over two years of tweets before you found yourself offended.

I didn't have to scroll very far, and I wasn't offended.

Rather concerned for the posters' mental health. "How can I make this about my petty little grievance with Irish motorists" is not a sane reaction to learning that a major world power is about to start a full scale land war in Europe. I was going to try some glib reply like "cheese with that petulant whine?" but the post was too messed up for that.

• Advertisement

You don't recall the many discussions about the impact on fuel prices then?

Of course, but it wasn't anyone's first thought AFAIK. Nor was "how can I use this against my enemies". Except for whoever runs that account obviously.

Post edited by SeanW on

Oh wow, a journalist wrote an article 😯

Meanwhile most people's first thoughts those days would have been along the lines of "what the hell is happening?" or "are they crazy?" or sympathising with Ukraine and its people.

Very few people, if any, were thinking "woe is me, I might have to pay a little more for fuel." And no right thinking person was asking: "how can I use this as a cudgel against my domestic enemies?"

I just hope whoever runs that account gets the help they need for the mental illness they so obviously suffer from.

ICYMI - a journalist wrote an article, reflecting exactly the kind of 'all about me' thinking that you're complaining about. The AARoadwash account took the piss out of that journalist, and you took offence at that.

Firstly, the AA Roadwash tweet didn't reference any specific article. Secondly, even though most people wouldn't have been primarily concerned with fuel prices in the immediate hours and days after everything kicked off, it's not massively surprising that a journalist would ask about them. Thirdly, there was nothing to be offended by, that whole page is full of nothing but petulant, childish whining, loosely masquerading as parody.

That post just shows how far down the rabbit hole whoever runs that account has gone.

So you're telling us how it is ok for the media to discuss how the war would affect fuel prices but when a parody account on twitter comments on it you think they have mental issues?

Seriously, this is the direction that you wish to take the discussion on reducing the default speed limit in urban areas?

'Doesn't reference any specific article'! Don't blame them because the parody that was obvious to a large number of posters but went right over your head.

• Advertisement

"A major world power just started a horrible land war in Europe, how can I use this as a cudgel against my domestic enemies?" is definitely an unusual take.

There is a saying that goes something like "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" and the claim that Irish drivers are bad, despite the data showing to the contrary, is an extraordinary claim.

Even if I conceded that the supposed lack of cyclists is a real issue - which I don't - it's still a big leap from that to say that Irish drivers are bad writ large. Of course, some try to short-circuit this by blaming all Irish drivers collectively for everything bad that happens, regardless of the cause, and you'll likely have seen what I'm referring in the previous posts of some here.

Advertisement